↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Off Topic > Interesting Speed Related Article
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
Print this entire topic · 
Cupboard

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 HT Corris Grey
The kerb weight is ULW plus driver and some fuel, so you can work back to ULW from the listed kerb weight figure.
75kg "average" driver, 60kg fuel (I think it's 90% of a tank, something like that) plus a bit for oil... you're looking at something like 150kg.

Someone on the forum has a rather more specific table floating around...
Post #557231 19th Aug 2016 2:44pm
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
Which weight is critical depends upon which specific piece of legislation applies. In the case of determining whether or not a vehicle is a Dual Purpose Vehicle, the relevent weight is the unladen weight.

The unladen weight is not required to be recorded anywhere, hence much of the confusion.

Landrover quote a "kerb weight", which is generally accepted as being the weight of an empty vehicle in a condition ready to drive off. Traditionally ULW does not include accessories, fluids, nor a driver, whilst the KW does.

Landrover does provide kerb weight figures and used to say that these were based upon the unladen weight plus a 75kg driver plus a 90% full tank of fuel, but more recently have started to say a full tank of fuel rather than 90%. Confusingly Landrover still quotes exactly the same actual figures, despite now purporting to have an extra 10% of fuel on board! It is almost certain that LR has goofed and actually does mean a 70% tank and has simply omitted the "90%" that should have preceded the word "full", since this is now the standard EU definition (see below).

Note that other legislation may refer to other weights, the Road Vehicles (Construction & Use) Regulations 1986 (as amended) however specifically refer to unladen weight as defined therein.

In recent years a plethora of different EU-originated terms have appeared, such as Mass In Service. MIS is defined by European Directive 95/48/EC as the unladen weight plus 75kg driver and a 90% fuel payload, and is therefore the same as was generally quoted as kerb weight (the meaning of the term kerb weight was not actually defined anywhere, so although this definition was a standard, is was de facto rather than de jure).

I think that in reality accurate speed enforcement based on vehicle type is almost impossible to implement at present (certainly impossible by automated enforcement) and generally therefore Police forces will regard all Defenders, double cab pickups, and other DPV-like vehicles as DPVs unless they know for a fact that they are not. The situation is further complicated now by the fact that many manufacturers now produce passenger versions of popular vans, such as the Transit and Vito, where there is a second row of seats (with side windows) behind the driver, which is likely to result in these falling into the DPV category as well.

It is a real muddle !
Post #557241 19th Aug 2016 3:36pm
ericvv

Switzerland 2009 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SVX Station Wagon Santorini Black
Post #557249 19th Aug 2016 4:36pm
mse

United Kingdom 2016 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Scotia Grey
Quote:
The important thing, and what isn't clear to me, is what weight the authorities use when conducting enforcement. As far as I know the ULW isn't recorded anywhere is it? The V5 lists the mass in service, is that the same as ULW? Your very unlikely to be weighed as a result of a speed check, so what limit is applied to vehicles that are in this zone very close to the threshold? A guess would be that the mass in service is used, and if you think the ULW is different you'd have to argue it in court.

This is often a topic of debate in motorhome forums.

The unladen weight is of interest because its sets the speed limits in the UK whereas when you go to europe its the plated weigh eg 3.5t...where this is interesting (in motorhome world) you could take a motorhome with an unladen weight of 2t in the UK and do 70 but its plated as 4.25t so in europe its a lower speed limit!

Quote:
I think that in reality accurate speed enforcement based on vehicle type is almost impossible to implement at present

Rather interestingly i read an article last month about the roll out of variable vehicle speed enforcement on cameras and speed vans...basically most (not all) speed cameras current are set to the road limit and are "dumb" so dont know your vehicle type. What they Censored are developing is one that checks your vehicle type to speed and then acts accordingly. Apparently its live in some areas now! Mike
Post #557262 19th Aug 2016 5:54pm
22900013A

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Keswick Green
I do wonder where our works Defenders come in, as they of course have winches, big roof rack, internal racking, night heater, massive mud tyres etc all fitted *before* you load them up with tools and kit. Quite probably the unladed weight will be over the 2040KG limit stated. I think with cherrypickers it is probably even more of a grey area. Some are registered as plant for example...others are actually quite light but I think they are still something like 2500KG before you add any payload...

I suspect they actually are subject to lower limits, but I don't think I have ever seen anyone comply with those limits in any kind of van, pickup or 4x4... 2011 110 USW
1973 Series III 1-Ton
1972 Series III 1-Ton Cherrypicker
1969 IIA 1-Ton
1966 IIA 88"
Post #557269 19th Aug 2016 6:18pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
blackwolf

mse wrote:
...Rather interestingly i read an article last month about the roll out of variable vehicle speed enforcement on cameras and speed vans...basically most (not all) speed cameras current are set to the road limit and are "dumb" so dont know your vehicle type. What they Censored are developing is one that checks your vehicle type to speed and then acts accordingly. Apparently its live in some areas now!

Where was the article?

The problem with this is that some things are possible and some are not. There have for years been cameras which can differentiate between HGVs and non-HGVs, for example, based on their radar signature. However it is not even now possible to differentiate between a vehicle which is a DPV and a similar one which is not by any means other than a VRN look-up (because visually there is no difference). In order for this to work, there has to be a record on someone's database that contains some information that allows a determination to be made. At present, neither the ULW nor the vehicle's C&U classification is recorded anywhere, so this cannot happen. It may be in the future this information is recorded, but it isn't now and I am not aware of any plans for it to be recorded. If it does come about it is more likely that it will be recorded for new vehicles rather than retrospectively.

There is also a massive data overhead with any VRN look-up system, but with the rapid technological advance in networkmtechnologies this is no longer such an issue.

So whilst there is no doubt that there are systems which can differentiate between some vehicle types, I do not believe that there are any which can identify a DPV Defender from a non-DPV Defender.
Post #557282 19th Aug 2016 7:25pm
blackwolf

22900013A wrote:
I suspect they actually are subject to lower limits, but I don't think I have ever seen anyone comply with those limits in any kind of van, pickup or 4x4...

I am sure you're right, and such a vehicle (obviously a work vehicle) is more likely to be pulled in.

I also agree about compliance, it is incredibly rare to find a light commercial obeying the limits.
Post #557283 19th Aug 2016 7:28pm
Riccarton

Scotland 2012 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 HT Zambezi Silver
blackwolf wrote:
mse wrote:
...Rather interestingly i read an article last month about the roll out of variable vehicle speed enforcement on cameras and speed vans...basically most (not all) speed cameras current are set to the road limit and are "dumb" so dont know your vehicle type. What they Censored are developing is one that checks your vehicle type to speed and then acts accordingly. Apparently its live in some areas now!

Where was the article?

The problem with this is that some things are possible and some are not. There have for years been cameras which can differentiate between HGVs and non-HGVs, for example, based on their radar signature. However it is not even now possible to differentiate between a vehicle which is a DPV and a similar one which is not by any means other than a VRN look-up (because visually there is no difference). In order for this to work, there has to be a record on someone's database that contains some information that allows a determination to be made. At present, neither the ULW nor the vehicle's C&U classification is recorded anywhere, so this cannot happen. It may be in the future this information is recorded, but it isn't now and I am not aware of any plans for it to be recorded. If it does come about it is more likely that it will be recorded for new vehicles rather than retrospectively.

There is also a massive data overhead with any VRN look-up system, but with the rapid technological advance in networkmtechnologies this is no longer such an issue.

So whilst there is no doubt that there are systems which can differentiate between some vehicle types, I do not believe that there are any which can identify a DPV Defender from a non-DPV Defender.

A colleague was prosecuted more than 12 months ago by a "Safety Camera" for doing 58 in a de-restricted zone - he was driving a VW Caddy which is no longer considered a "car derived van" and was therefore restricted to the lower limit.
Post #557285 19th Aug 2016 7:35pm
JJ

United Kingdom 1987 Defender 110 V8 Petrol CSW Corris Grey
I suspect that the vast majority of sole trader builders,plumbers, sparkies etc have no idea that their vehicles are subject to different speed limits . The payload is just how much can I get in, if it is full use the passenger seat for extra capacity. HR064 Hampshire and Berkshire 4x4 Response
Post #557287 19th Aug 2016 7:36pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
blackwolf

Now that (Riccarton's post above) is interesting! However "safety" camera vans usually have an operator sat in them who could presumably make the judgement.

I wonder how that actually came about.
Post #557288 19th Aug 2016 7:40pm
mse

I can't remember or find the article tbh, too long ago I'm afraid Mike
Post #557344 19th Aug 2016 11:13pm
mse

blackwolf wrote:
mse wrote:

Where was the article?

Found it Exclamation
http://www.businessvans.co.uk/van-news/sma...n-drivers/ Mike
Post #557384 20th Aug 2016 10:18am
blackwolf

Thank you!

The article makes it clear that it is refering to SPECS (and presumably similar) systems that incorporate ANPR and therefore rely upon VRN look-ups to the PNC or DVSA databases.

Since these do not at present record DPV status or ULW I don't see that they can determine limits for ambiguous vehicles such as the Defender, though in time this may change.
Post #557389 20th Aug 2016 10:56am
mse

No Problem

As with all these technologies they (annoyingly)develop it...but agree, there are loads of vehicles with ambiguities or that have gaps in registration documentation etc Mike
Post #557393 20th Aug 2016 11:13am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12