↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Technical > Black Box Solutions
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 3 of 7 <1234567>
Print this entire topic · 
Lorryman100

Firstly, I would read this announcement posted on Nanocoms Website. There is also a copy in My Gallery, and on my Hard drive in-case anyone wants a copy Wink

Now as to support, according to the above document BBS and Nanocom are collaborating and have not been taking over by BBS, or has that changed since? Which to me means that all the support and warranties will remain valid as the company is still trading. Now as BBS is now acting as the sole contact point for Nanocom then the support forum should automatically be the right of all Nanocom owners and not just the new ones purchased from BBS. As to if this will actually happen? is down to BBS, also remember that this has only just happened and it will take time to iron out all the if's and but's IMHO.

However if your fears come true what is there to be worried about? The nanocom does everything I want it to do right now, so no need to upgrade the new BBS firmware. As to support, well a few have had problems with their units yet the owners of nanocoms on this forum have helped solve them so there is your support. The fears that BBS will lock the nanocom to one vin will not come true if you don't upgrade your unit via any BBS upgrade. Personally I am glad I got mine when I did, as per the above document they are too cheap, meaning they will go up in price by how much? Only time will tell Wink

I did a troll of some other forums and the general synopsis is that owners are worried about their access to a cheap and reliable diagnostic tool being priced out of their comfort zone, that established owners will be left out in the cold unless they buy a new unit from BBS. To a certain extent I share some of their fears so much so that if the above was the case then I would go elsewhere for a diagnostic tool telling everyone who listened why! The reason nanocom was so good was it offered so much for so little cost filling a gap in the market. If Nanocom becomes expensive then something else will come along to fill the gap, in the meantime there is still the Hawkeye Whistle

Hopefully Colin (BBS SPY) will get back to us on this subject and let all of us know officially what the score is?

Last edited by Lorryman100 on 26th Jan 2011 11:21am. Edited 1 time in total
Post #55068 26th Jan 2011 2:30am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
dgardel

Italy 
http://blackbox-solutions.com/docs/BBS-NANOCOM.pdf Discovery 5 td6 HSE Stornoway Gray Outback Engineering Limited Edition

IID Pro MV License
Post #55081 26th Jan 2011 8:58am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
lrmaniac

Portugal 2010 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Keswick Green
dgardel wrote:
http://blackbox-solutions.com/docs/BBS-NANOCOM.pdf

I read the announcement carefully, and one thing caught my eye ... the date says 14 January 2012 ?!!

Is this real or futurology ?

I'm asking because in a few months I'm considering to buy one ... (Nanocom) Regards
Joao

'10 Land Rover Defender 110 CC
'08 BMW F800GS
'64 SIIA Forward Control
'69 SIIA 109 ZA CKD
Post #55094 26th Jan 2011 11:11am
dgardel

Italy 
Re: Black Box Solutions
BigMike wrote:
There's been a lot of talk recently about Nanocom, but what about the BBS product? Does it give the code and the actual fault? Or do you have to have the DG special paper file with you to look up the fault? What are the main differences between the units?

Nanocom HAVE STORED INSIDE Twisted Evil THE DG PAPER Discovery 5 td6 HSE Stornoway Gray Outback Engineering Limited Edition

IID Pro MV License
Post #55097 26th Jan 2011 11:46am
pom

looks like i was right about the price being jacked up.

Strange about the date though, maybe a spoof ? Either way a bit amateur hour.

Pom
Post #55125 26th Jan 2011 3:11pm
pom

just read the landyzone thread and it appears a BBS employee called Ron has confirmed there will be no support for anyone who already bought the nanocom. Doesn't look good.

Someone did say about opensourcing the box which may be a better option if BBS have washed their hands of it.

At the end of the day why would they sell the nanocom which is cheaper and not vin locked than their own offering ?

Pom
Post #55127 26th Jan 2011 3:24pm
mse

United Kingdom 2016 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Scotia Grey
pom wrote:
just read the landyzone thread and it appears a BBS employee called Ron has confirmed there will be no support for anyone who already bought the nanocom. Doesn't look good.

Someone did say about opensourcing the box which may be a better option if BBS have washed their hands of it.

At the end of the day why would they sell the nanocom which is cheaper and not vin locked than their own offering ?

Pom

THe source is already avaliable!!

I agree with Brian and yes there is always Hawkeye

I have a full copy of the Nanocom website for when its pulled and we no longer have access to the documents/upgrades etc Mike
Post #55165 26th Jan 2011 7:06pm
BBS SPY
Site Sponsor

Cyprus 
Quote:
it appears a BBS employee called Ron has confirmed there will be no support for anyone who already bought the nanocom.

Really Pom, can you point me to the part that actually says this?

Quote:
looks like i was right about the price being jacked up.

Again can you explain this statement and give us some figures. don't forget to factor in the 10% discount we offer to established forum members and the bulk buy discount rates we also offer as i am sure you do not want to be one sided Shocked

Sadly it seems that there is a lot of supposition and scare mongering going on about this from folks who really don't know anything. Honestly, picking on a simple typo on a date and drawing stupid conclusions based on that is just shameful.

The reality is that no existing buyer of a NANOCOM product has any form of promised or contractually agreed form of technical support. You purchased it because it was cheap, and as it happens, unsustainably so.

As it was before, you might occasionally get updated software versions posted up on the nanocom.it web site if ever Mattia could ever possibly get round to doing any bug fixing of development work on the software, and if you sent an e-mail in to support@Nanocom.it, you might eventually get a reply if Mattia could possibly find the time in his already vastly overworked day to respond which as everyone knows, despite his best effort, it proved impossible.

I have reached out and done my best to save a really great product from becoming no longer available, made it purchasable on line, attempted to keep the product at much the same price, have no intent to change it to be SV rather than MV, added various discount options, given upgrade to other vehicle possibilities, freed Mattia up from most of his daily burden such that he can now concentrate on support to existing and BBS customers, bug fixing, software releases and any future development, that would of course be published on the Nanocom.it site. I have even set up a forum section on our customers technical support for new owners to aid this, and this outright skepticism and mistrust is the all thanks i get. Really makes me wonder why i bothered rather than just canning the product altogether.

The plain reality is that if someone now sends an E-mail to support@nanocom.it, they will almost instantly get a reply ether from a member of BBS staff or Mattia as applicable.

Can someone please tell me exactly how things are now worse than before !!!
Post #55166 26th Jan 2011 7:12pm
mse

Colin - thanks for some of the clarification - although its not all great and may take me back to "good old" bbs days.

I think the key is Communication above all else...followed (very closely) by customer service and decency. Sometimes its not about "is it written down...no so get lost" its about good faith/support/returning customers loyalty recommendations etc.

Yes nancom is good value - but its hardly cheap to most...in fact £300-£400 is still a significant sum of money and the price doesn’t reflect on the service you should receive – in fact some of the best service has been on low margin moderate price items...which is why i will go back.

Fortunately i get cost price on many bits of kit so i see the actual cost of some things and the trade and retail prices are scary!

Anyway i digress...its a shame you don’t feel the equitable and fair approach (and to engender some good faith and loyalty) is to migrate the support to BBS and be clear about honouring the Nanocom customers and making them feel valued and welcome in the BBS family - for you it would consolidate and bring efficiencies - for us it would bring trust and faith and may even make us consider your products in the future

Customers keep business in business - treat them right, they buy stuff and if they do that you keep your job, dont and they go; word of mouth kills business (and i could list a good many of them from all areas) - i think its for BBS to communicate and build that confidence not to knock owners for a genuine concern.

Like i say - communication is key and the
Quote:
t seems that there is a lot of supposition and scare mongering going on about this from folks who really don't know anything.
comes from a failure of communication on BBS so far - remember we are the customer!

as for the support comment you couldnt find, that is referenced - i found it in two seconds here it is:
Quote:
I'd agree with that sentiment.

I asked blackbox about registering on their forum as an existing Evolution user and they replied:

Good morning

I had to take advice on this one to find out the situation regarding
support issues from previous customers of Mattia and Nanocom.it
The answer I'm sorry to say at this time is that we can only
register customers who purchase the equipment from us.

Whether this decision will change in the future I really could not answer
at this time.

[/url] Mike
Post #55167 26th Jan 2011 7:25pm
BigMike

United Kingdom 
BBS SPY wrote:

Sadly it seems that there is a lot of supposition and scare mongering going on about this from folks who really don't know anything. Honestly, picking on a simple typo on a date and drawing stupid conclusions based on that is just shameful.

The reality is that no existing buyer of a NANOCOM product has any form of promised or contractually agreed form of technical support. You purchased it because it was cheap, and as it happens, unsustainably so.

Folks don't know anything because there has not been up until very recently any kind of actual statement. just lots of nudge nudge wink winks etc. The concerns from current owners are totally legitimate. if you are not prepared to offer support for the product you now seem to have rights to (or whatever) because it was bought from the firm / guy you have just done a deal with, then shame on you as an individual, ditto your business and your business model.

Yes it's fabulous that certain people have the vision to create products like this but lets be clear, this is not a favour, its a commercial venture, and you should behave accordingly. If you do not have the moral or business backbone to support those people directly who bought products just a few weeks ago (despite probably not having a legal obligation) then that speaks volumes about what you actually think about your customers. Word of mouth / word of forum etc is a powerful thing, and you do yourself no favours with your long post above and your stance, and the way you are talking to your customers and showcasing your business in front of potential customers. Clarity, transparency and common decency count for a lot when it comes to enthusiasts and products (which are not "cheap" as you put it) and a way to being successful with them is to support them and listen to them, not to dictate and sneer.
Post #55169 26th Jan 2011 7:31pm
mse

Funny we posted seperately and said the same thing! But i agree Mike
Post #55170 26th Jan 2011 7:33pm
pom

[quote="BBS SPY"]
Quote:

Really Pom, can you point me to the part that actually says this?

Sure post 13 on the same thread you replied to on http://www.landyzone.co.uk/lz/f8/warning-n...815-2.html

With regard to the price hike you refer to that in your own, albeit future dated, press release.

http://blackbox-solutions.com/docs/BBS-NANOCOM.pdf

I really don't have an axe to grind either way I like up front information so everyone is clear. which doesnt seem to be the case at the moment.

So are you are saying people who bought the nanocom from the original supplier will get full support from BBS ?

Pom
Post #55173 26th Jan 2011 7:41pm
bell-auto-services

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Orkney Grey
Colin stated

Quote:
The plain reality is that if someone now sends an E-mail to support@nanocom.it, they will almost instantly get a reply ether from a member of BBS staff or Mattia as applicable.

This means you have support you will have always had from Mattia via email if not better now as at least it will get answered. !! what are you all worried about, im baffeled.

Regarding the price, im on the understanding that Mattia was selling this tool for cost and very very little more and this is why the price has risen slightly to what it was.

Think of it this way, if Nanocom went under because it could not keep the company running due to ever rising costs on a tool he can not price rise all your support would end anyway the min he went bankrupt, at lest now you have the knowlage that the company will stay alive and your investement is safe with a company that is still going.

Pete
Post #55176 26th Jan 2011 7:49pm
pom

Pete

The issue is someone did do exactly that and got a reply from BBS saying there would be no support. You can read it on landyzone. Also a coupleposts up Colin wrote

"The reality is that no existing buyer of a NANOCOM product has any form of promised or contractually agreed form of technical support. You purchased it because it was cheap, and as it happens, unsustainably so."

So the question still remains.

Pom
Post #55182 26th Jan 2011 7:56pm
mse

bell-auto-services wrote:
Colin stated

Quote:

This means you have support !! what are you all worried about, im baffeled.

Pete

Pete I have a lot of time for you - you are a good guy. But i know your friendship and alliance with Colin/BBS makes this a difficult position.

I think the issue is people want clear upfront and transparent information - they want to feel equity and fairness and they want to know whats going on as the reasonable expectations no longer apply.

Another support example if those pre BBS (although you could argue - all the forum purchases are after BBS's takeover so covered anyway!!) - In Fact, Yes - We all bought and recieved after the BBS takeover so we should all gain access through BBSBut back to my example...if the BBS support people get the website etc with BBS - who's to say Colin will let Mattia provide updates etc to existing customers. So even if Mattia answers the email - the bug fix may not be avaliable as BBS prevents Mattia (or through not letting customers gain access to the forum) get the files.

I suppose the email access to mattia (as promised) is better than going through a forum anyway - so thats a positive.

But there does need some equity on the same product. Mike
Post #55183 26th Jan 2011 7:57pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 3 of 7 <1234567>