↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Td5 > Todays job - Straight through exhaust - Td5
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
Print this entire topic · 
Lucifus

United Kingdom 
Did you still have any silencers? Mine is litteraly a straight pipe all the way through. All silencers totally gone. It doesn't drone when cruising but does growl when flooring it
Post #541106 17th Jun 2016 7:50pm
JWL

England 2002 Defender 110 Td5 SW Coniston Green
On my 2002 110 I did the centre pipe job, taking out the big box. For a few years I ran it with an earlier downpipe so giving it a de-cat. Yes it was growly and there was a little booming at 60mph but with a fair amount of soundproofing it was livable.
Out of fairness to my MoT tester I would refit the cat for the day he saw it and could really notice a difference. Last test the de-cat pipe was starting to leak around the flexi part so with the refitting of the old cat I decided to slice it open with a grinder, take out the offending part and weld it back up empty. The inside is completely empty, the pipe just enters then there's just the empty space with a hole at the other end which is the pipe to the next section. I did toy with inserting a pipe inside but didn't and it has stopped the booming, it doesn't sound as gnarly as just a de-cat pipe and according to JWL Junior the turbo whistle is more pronounced, I can't tell as it appears that the whistle is the same pitch as my tinitus so I don't hear it unless all the windows are open and I'm booting it in a tunnel situation.
I am looking at taking out the back box mainly because I can, just leaving the cat can in the system.
Post #541116 17th Jun 2016 8:50pm
taffrican

Wales 2002 Defender 90 Td5 HT Java Black
So are these mods an mot failure? my tester is a fellow TD5 owner and enthusiast so I think he would pass it but what about pc plod? Optimists say the glass is half full..
Pessimists say the glass is half empty..
Engineers say the glass is twice the size it needs to be!
Post #541162 17th Jun 2016 11:10pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
JWL

England 2002 Defender 110 Td5 SW Coniston Green
As far as I'm aware, if your vehicle was fitted with a catalytic converter when it left the factory then it should be presented at it's annual MoT with visible evidence that it is still fitted.
Noise levels are at the MoT testers discretion.
Post #541165 17th Jun 2016 11:19pm
taffrican

Wales 2002 Defender 90 Td5 HT Java Black
cheers JWL Thumbs Up Optimists say the glass is half full..
Pessimists say the glass is half empty..
Engineers say the glass is twice the size it needs to be!
Post #541381 18th Jun 2016 10:58pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Post Reply
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12