↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Puma (Tdci) > Creaking/Clicking/Ticking Noise - Rear door related?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
UtilityTruck

United Kingdom 
Creaking/Clicking/Ticking Noise - Rear door related?
Recently I've been frustrated by a loud noise from the rear of the 110 utility that can best be described as a clicking-ticking noise when going over undulting and tougher roads. It's really loud though, actually the loudest thing on the car over the engine and tyre noise.

Also I've been noticing the rear door is hard to shut and there is a lot of black, carbon like residue on the latch- making me think the door is moving. The hinges seem ok though.

I did a bit of investigation today, took the spare off the door and checked the area. The rear door is visibly bowed out at the bottom in the middle, presumably due to the weight of the spare as others have found. I was able to adjust the door striker slightly to improve the closure of the door however the noise is still there. I can replicate the noise by pushing my weight down on the very rear Left of the boot floor or pushing sideways on the door striker. If I hold my other hand against the area I can actually feel the creak noise vibrate through the metal. Nothing seems loose, I've checked all the accessible bolts in the area, there are no signs of corrosion and all the rivets seem in good condition. I am however concerned the spare wheel has potentially damaged the rear body of the truck. Anyone experienced anything similar or am I simply going to have to investigate with the stealer?
Thanks!
Post #529194 4th May 2016 11:01pm
agentmulder

Kuwait 
Yip, but mine was related to the interior plastic trim edges creaking against each other... Solved the bowel problem, working on the consonants...
Post #529232 5th May 2016 8:06am
RoddyK05

Scotland 2004 Defender 90 Td5 SW Yellow
Mines only started creaking after I gave the hinges a skoosh of WD40. It now creaks ( suspect the hinges themselves ) when I hit bumps on the road or even slow speed when there may be a bit of body twisting going on. I've not investigated yet, but it's very annoying.
Post #529235 5th May 2016 8:18am
ian series 1

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 CSW Bonatti Grey
Have you taken the rear door card off to have a look inside?

Mine made all sorts of creaks, knocks etc.
The inside door frame had split from side to side!
It was a right mess!

18" alloy with BF Goodrich hanging off the back was just too much for it!
Now fitted wheel carrier, and standard rims.

No more noise😄 80" 80" 86" 88" 90"

Wanted, Forward Control Anything considered.
Post #529241 5th May 2016 8:44am
agentmulder

Kuwait 
My spare was removed (i.e. door card taken off to remove bracket also), creak continues ...

Sat in the back with another driver going round a block with speed bumps, found the location, took a while to find the actual cause though, solving it is far down the list of priorities. Laughing (wax?) Solved the bowel problem, working on the consonants...
Post #529243 5th May 2016 8:49am
jimbob7

RoddyK05 wrote:
Mines only started creaking after I gave the hinges a skoosh of WD40. It now creaks ( suspect the hinges themselves ) when I hit bumps on the road or even slow speed when there may be a bit of body twisting going on. I've not investigated yet, but it's very annoying.

You probably washed the grease out of the hinges using WD40. Try a light oil,3in1 is good,but be aware you need to apply fairly regularly(also wipe away the excess for the next few days).And try to squeeze some very light grease in there.
WD40 is usually a very temporary solution. Pov.spec,ftw. 2006, 110,TD5.
Post #529266 5th May 2016 10:26am
RoddyK05

Jimbob7 - good call. I've given the hinges a wee drink of 3in1, will see how it goes. I have spray grease which I could try - very delicately though.
Post #529334 5th May 2016 3:11pm
LoveTheMud

United Kingdom 2014 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Santorini Black
jimbob7 wrote:
RoddyK05 wrote:

You probably washed the grease out of the hinges using WD40. Try a light oil,3in1 is good,but be aware you need to apply fairly regularly(also wipe away the excess for the next few days).And try to squeeze some very light grease in there.
WD40 is usually a very temporary solution.

WD40 is a temporary solution... so much so that everytime I visit my parents, my Father douses the puma in it... its made no difference at all except oily stains both inside and out... No creaks yet though...just rusty nuts Rolling with laughter
Post #529355 5th May 2016 4:23pm
RoddyK05

jimbob7,
You have saved my sanity - after dousing with 3in1 my hinges are nice and quiet again. Bow down
Post #529703 7th May 2016 11:29am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1