↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Off Topic > UK down the pan....
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 4 1234>
Print this entire topic · 
Grenadier

France 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Corris Grey
UK down the pan....
The U.K. is heading inexorably down the pan. Not because there was a complaint about the following offence and or the resulting middle class moaning, but that Waitrose cafe would deign to use paper cups and saucers at all. God forbid. What next, I ask you, what next in this forever dumbing down of our Great British standards. Big Cry

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/shopping-a...-cups.html Monsieur Le Grenadier

I've not been everywhere, but it's on my list.....

2011 Puma 110DC - Corris Grey
Post #499913 3rd Feb 2016 2:39pm
gilarion

Wales 2007 Defender 90 Other CSW Trident Green
As much as I love this country it’s become a joke.
Unless you have a good private pension you have to work until you’re 67 and I am sure that age will increase and then you will probably have to beg for your Pension if they still have the money that is.
Homeless British people on the street while those from abroad get a Housing association Flat or house after being here a short while.
Our Government doesn’t care what we think or want.
They let the Banks mess up the finances and then use our money to bail them out! Then sell off our shares we own at a 1 Billion loss! (RBS) Evil or Very Mad
Give foreign aid to counties who do not need it and leave UK charities to ask us for money to help the people the Government should be helping.
We have hardly any Industry left and have to buy in most things.
The UK is fast becoming a foreign skiver’s paradise and our community spirit is all but dead… The mentality of those with money who live here is ‘I’m alright; sod the poor, elderly and less fortunate!’

Bring back the caring society of the past…. For those who like Welsh Mountains and narrow boats have a look at my videos and photos at..

http://www.youtube.com/user/conwy1
Post #499925 3rd Feb 2016 3:37pm
stanley

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Orkney Grey
Ah but buy the nice trendy insulated cup from customer services so you can shop and sip your latte at the same time,
Fits in the cup holder too! Thumbs Up
Post #499940 3rd Feb 2016 3:58pm
Caterham

England 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Stornoway Grey
gilarion wrote:
As much as I love this country it’s become a joke.
Unless you have a good private pension you have to work until you’re 67 and I am sure that age will increase and then you will probably have to beg for your Pension if they still have the money that is.
Homeless British people on the street while those from abroad get a Housing association Flat or house after being here a short while.
Our Government doesn’t care what we think or want.
They let the Banks mess up the finances and then use our money to bail them out! Then sell off our shares we own at a 1 Billion loss! (RBS) Evil or Very Mad
Give foreign aid to counties who do not need it and leave UK charities to ask us for money to help the people the Government should be helping.
We have hardly any Industry left and have to buy in most things.
The UK is fast becoming a foreign skiver’s paradise and our community spirit is all but dead… The mentality of those with money who live here is ‘I’m alright; sod the poor, elderly and less fortunate!’

Bring back the caring society of the past….

I couldn't possibly agree or add any further comments that might be deemed remotely offensive by ......erm ....I best not say. and god forbid I should mention how true one of his statements was that I witness outside my window every day but seemed to have hundreds if not thousands up in arms as it was deemed politically incorrect. In I best just up now otherwise your likely to have a handful complain. and as we all know those that make the rules have to shaft the majority to keep the minority happy Evil or Very Mad
sad indeed.

ps. I hope you don't get this post removed or blocked and I hope I've been careful enough not to have aimed / named any criticism at any particular group of people.

pss - how things have changed - only last night (and I wasn't trying in any way shape or form trying to be condescending) but I asked by daughter about an individual and the description of half cast came up.......she hadn't got a clue what I was saying ? mixed race these days. ??? can someone explain to me where the pros and cons are as I don't see how mixed race would be deemed preferable to half cast? If any thing I'd have thought mixed raced would be a less desirable description?

I can officially confirm the world has gone MAD. And I'm an expert in such matters Very Happy
Post #499966 3rd Feb 2016 4:57pm
Orangesofa

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 SW Keswick Green
What starts as a tongue in cheek remark about the use of paper cups and how this country is heading down the pan is not quite the same as some of the hateful threads seen on here which were blocked and dare I say - rightly so.

It is perhaps best to consider this a forum of all sorts of people from all walks of life, backgrounds, educational standards, occupations, political beliefs, attitudes to migrants etc with one common interest: Defenders. Just because we all like Defenders doesn't mean we all share other views so perhaps it is worth thinking about that before venting and expecting to be supported.

If there is a desire to berate kind-hearted individuals and people who care about other humans from any country because it means you miss out on something you think you have a right to because you pay tax - perhaps it is best to start that conversation with your mates in the pub and not with 'strangers' on a forum who maybe don't share the same views.

Just a thought.... Phil
Post #499971 3rd Feb 2016 5:17pm
Grenadier

It wasn't tongue in cheek, I was being serious. I'm bloody livid. Paper cups... Thumbs Up

PS, Mrs Grenadier is after an orange sofa. Are you the velvet, chesterfield or tango kind? Sounds more like 'code' on a swingers forum.... Whistle Monsieur Le Grenadier

Post #499975 3rd Feb 2016 5:26pm
Martin
Site Admin

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Montalcino Red
A gentle reminder that I am watching.... Perhaps if you are having to be that careful about how you word a post on here then that might be a warning that the subject matter is not suitable Question  1988 90 Td5 NAS soft top
2015 D90 XS SW
Post #499976 3rd Feb 2016 5:30pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Supacat

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS DCPU Keswick Green
It's the bit about cleaning them that got me - the chairs are wipe down - what were you doing on the things to loose your sofa privileges? Shocked

Last edited by Supacat on 3rd Feb 2016 5:35pm. Edited 1 time in total
Post #499977 3rd Feb 2016 5:31pm
Grenadier

The middle classes get up to all kinds of mischief in Waitrose Chichester. Steamy cauldron of middle England naughtiness... Laughing Monsieur Le Grenadier

Post #499978 3rd Feb 2016 5:34pm
Supacat

gilarion wrote:
Unless you have a good private pension you have to work until you’re 67.

I feel for people entering employment now but when I started 30 years ago that was called a life choice - do you want to pay into the company pension, AVC scheme or take it home and Censored it against the wall on friday night. Your choice - you can't pick one and whinge about it 20 years down the track.
Post #499980 3rd Feb 2016 5:35pm
gabe3105

United Kingdom 
I would think that for all the people having to work until 67 due to a "life choice" there are an equal number who have no choice but to work until 67, primarily because they have had lower paid jobs and therefore any take home pay had to be prioritised to putting food on the table, paying rent/mortgage, bills etc without any chance of being able to squirrel sufficient away to end up with a healthy personal pension pot by 55-60.
Thumbs Up
Post #499986 3rd Feb 2016 5:54pm
steve E

Wales 
I think alot of people will only benefit by the unfortunate passing of parents and the fact that they will inherit some money at this sad time.
for this reason I'm going to spend,spend,spend while I'm still here and have told my children they had better work hard as there will be nothing left when I'm finished Laughing
Post #499988 3rd Feb 2016 5:59pm
gilarion

Wales 2007 Defender 90 Other CSW Trident Green
Quote:
I feel for people entering employment now but when I started 30 years ago that was called a life choice - do you want to pay into the company pension, AVC scheme or take it home and Censored it against the wall on friday night. Your choice - you can't pick one and whinge about it 20 years down the track.

I was being objective. I am fortunate, being employed within the education sector I have had an occupational pension since the day I started teaching and I can retire many years before my sixty seventh birthday.
And while I fully understand the problem the country is facing with a population that is living longer and a welfare budget that cannot cope in the long term, and as such the individual should see to it that they are covered financially in old age, however, not everyone is offered a Workplace Pension or can afford to opt for a private pension, especially those on zero hour contracts. For those who like Welsh Mountains and narrow boats have a look at my videos and photos at..

http://www.youtube.com/user/conwy1

Last edited by gilarion on 3rd Feb 2016 6:00pm. Edited 1 time in total
Post #499987 3rd Feb 2016 5:59pm
Caterham

England 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Stornoway Grey
Might not just be Waitrose resorting to paper cups then Mr. Green
Post #499994 3rd Feb 2016 6:13pm
Supacat

gabe3105 wrote:
I would think that for all the people having to work until 67 due to a "life choice" there are an equal number who have no choice but to work until 67, primarily because they have had lower paid jobs and therefore any take home pay had to be prioritised to putting food on the table, paying rent/mortgage, bills etc without any chance of being able to squirrel sufficient away to end up with a healthy personal pension pot by 55-60.
Thumbs Up

That might be true but wouldn't expect to find them on a site dedicated to an expensive frippery like the Defender Thumbs Up

I'm also amazed at how some youngsters today think essentials include £35 per month for a phone and £50 a month for a TV package...

Last edited by Supacat on 3rd Feb 2016 6:54pm. Edited 1 time in total
Post #499998 3rd Feb 2016 6:26pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 4 1234>