↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > My Defender > My new (to me) Defender 90 Puma
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 27 of 34 <123 ... 262728 ... 323334>
Print this entire topic · 
RRUK
Site Supporter

United Kingdom 
Been out tonight, a fairly regular commute to a shoot (the night before) and takes about an hour to drive there. It's a mix of A and B roads.

Let me pre-text what I am about to say, in that I DO love the Defender, the aesthetics please me and I love working on it and being the owner of one BUT...

I BLOODY HATE THE WAY IT DRIVES!
Big Cry Big Cry

Every tiny little bump, crease, hole, divot, drain, manhole, poor road repair, ALL of them cause the Defender to crash, bang, jolt shake and generally make you feel like you are slowly being tortured by the Taliban with noise and stress position warfare.

I don't know how the Defender can be so popular when it is so awful to drive on the road but somehow we all stick with it.

I am determined to find a solution, and I think the Alive comfort package is the most obvious. If this doesn't work, I may well look to sell the Defender and either just stick to using the Range Rover for everything ro do what I had originally planned, and get a Discovery 3 4.4V8 HSE, and bank LOTS of cash in the process!

Obviously having one of those days..... Banging Head 2016 D4 HSE

1998 110 TUM HS FFR Hard Top XD WOLF

1982 Series 3 SWB Petrol
Post #496307 25th Jan 2016 8:12pm
g-mack

United Kingdom 
Post #496351 25th Jan 2016 9:22pm
marksolesbury

United Kingdom 
RRUK wrote:
Been out tonight, a fairly regular commute to a shoot (the night before) and takes about an hour to drive there. It's a mix of A and B roads.

Let me pre-text what I am about to say, in that I DO love the Defender, the aesthetics please me and I love working on it and being the owner of one BUT...

I BLOODY HATE THE WAY IT DRIVES!
Big Cry Big Cry

Every tiny little bump, crease, hole, divot, drain, manhole, poor road repair, ALL of them cause the Defender to crash, bang, jolt shake and generally make you feel like you are slowly being tortured by the Taliban with noise and stress position warfare.

I don't know how the Defender can be so popular when it is so awful to drive on the road but somehow we all stick with it.

I am determined to find a solution, and I think the Alive comfort package is the most obvious. If this doesn't work, I may well look to sell the Defender and either just stick to using the Range Rover for everything ro do what I had originally planned, and get a Discovery 3 4.4V8 HSE, and bank LOTS of cash in the process!

Obviously having one of those days..... Banging Head

My 1996 defender is not like that - its great to drive, handles well, doesn't crash bang or wallop.

Id get under it and prod stuff - something must be loose. 1996 300tdi 90
Northants4x4.com admin.
Post #496354 25th Jan 2016 9:26pm
JAY BOY

Wales 
Adam

I do understand what you're saying but i've got to be fair mine is not like that at all. My last one was a lot more skittish than this one. Change your suspension set up to see if that helps. May also help to put some weight in the back.

Very Happy
Post #496358 25th Jan 2016 9:33pm
Romadog

Get one of these instead Thumbs Up

http://www.renegadehovercraft.com/
Post #496361 25th Jan 2016 9:52pm
Butchers Boy

United Kingdom 2010 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 HT Stornoway Grey
Hey Adam,

I couldn't agree with you more Thumbs Up

I have spent the last few days working on mine fitting verouse new parts and boy I'm pleased with the new mods!! The lights are lovely and bright It looks great and then I drove it again today for the first time in a few days.... Big Cry Big Cry

But you and I have the same problem Adam!! We are both driving the opposite ends of the spectrum We both own top end luxury Range Rovers for our daily ride. The Range Rover was made to smooth out the humps and bumps, delivering you to your destination fresh as a daisy and rightly so. It was built for the top end luxury market and that's exactly what we get. The Defender was lunched in 1948 developed for the army and as farm vehicles it has changed little since! But you do get to own a little piece of English history IMHO and you got to love it for what it is! It will probably last you a lifetime if you decided to keep it for that long! When I had mine on the drive earlier today next to the RRS I felt quite lucky owning both ends of the scale so much so I've decided to sell my RS4 to make room in the garage for it (and to try keeping the water out of it in the winter Rolling with laughter ) I'm sure the Alive upgrade will help a lot I've heard good things about it! But all said and done if you do decide to sell it give me first dips mate Thumbs Up You cant own too many Defenders in my book especially as lovely as yours!! Bow down

Stick with it mate its perfect for the purpose you got it for - shooting days in the woods it will tackle anything you ask it to. The only thing you need is decent dental cover to have your filling replaced after each trip out Rolling with laughter !! Thumbs Up Thumbs Up 2010 Defender 90 HT

The longer I live..... The better I was!
Post #496396 25th Jan 2016 11:04pm
JamieL

United Kingdom 
RRUK wrote:

Obviously you are having one of those days! I get them often when driving my leaf sprung Lightweight Shocked

The Series Land Rover, launched in 1948, is a very different ride to what has evolved into the Defender.

There must be something seriously wrong with your truck... mine is so enjoyable to drive and is spot on. OK, it is not to Range Rover standards but I'd rather drive my Defender than my 65 plate Golf! Cool

Stick with it Thumbs Up
Post #496421 25th Jan 2016 11:43pm
GREENI

United Kingdom 
Alive springs.....STANDARD dampers.
Kevdonlon from this forum bought the springs and loved the ride, I drove it and bought some for my 90.
Kev the bought the Bilstein dampers and it's now harsh again Rolling Eyes
Post #496423 25th Jan 2016 11:54pm
Butchers Boy

United Kingdom 2010 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 HT Stornoway Grey
Adam

http://www.alivetuning.com/product/alive-comfort-springs/

Not cheap but might be worth it? Lowers your Defender by 1.5" shouldn't notice too much unless your doing serious off roading!! Thumbs Up 2010 Defender 90 HT

The longer I live..... The better I was!
Post #496429 26th Jan 2016 12:04am
mcma1

gotta try new suspension mate, can't stand the thought of lowering these though, I have spoken to pretty much all the tuners offering kits... And have to say the guys at Twisted have a good understanding and offer lowered or not. Andy

2014 Fuji 110 SW LS3
https://www.defender2.net/forum/post751233.html#751233

2014 Corris 110 SW
http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic40056.html

My old Xtech 90 build..
http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic15681.html

LS3 V8 build...
http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic49051.html
Post #496460 26th Jan 2016 7:52am
g-mack

United Kingdom 
you could always lower but put isolators on top and bottom! brings it back up a bit and its sole purpose is to help with ride :thumbs:

Click image to enlarge
 My 109 thread

my youtube channel
Post #496478 26th Jan 2016 9:04am
YOLO110

Australia 
Like you, I don't want to lose ground clearance but would like to lose a bit of the on road harshness!

I have asked Alive Tuning a few times if they can offer the so called 'comfort' springs, without the 1.5 inch reduction in ride height, but have disappointingly not had a response from them... Whistle YOLO... You Only Live Once...
Post #496492 26th Jan 2016 9:19am
RRUK
Site Supporter

United Kingdom 
Pete,

You don't lose any ground clearance underneath the car, that's the same, it's the articulation amount available above the wheel that is reduced.

Most of the tuners do a performance suspension package of some kind, but to me that sounds like they tighten it all up and make it sportier, I want the opposite!

Interesting to read that comment about the Bilsteins making it harsher, whereas every post I've read about them say the opposite.

Can anyone else confirm this? 2016 D4 HSE

1998 110 TUM HS FFR Hard Top XD WOLF

1982 Series 3 SWB Petrol
Post #496494 26th Jan 2016 9:22am
mcma1

But surely your side steps etc all come closer to the ground?? Some of the urban truck defenders just look broken they are lowered that much... JE are calling me back this morning but so far alive can't offer the springs, UT lower 2" and offered Koni HD and not Bilstein, JE appear to use Fox... I might just get a cushion for my seat. Andy

2014 Fuji 110 SW LS3
https://www.defender2.net/forum/post751233.html#751233

2014 Corris 110 SW
http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic40056.html

My old Xtech 90 build..
http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic15681.html

LS3 V8 build...
http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic49051.html
Post #496517 26th Jan 2016 10:09am
Morepower

New Zealand 
The 110 Comfort springs will e available soon YOLO110... I'm just about to take the rears off and send them down to Gary @ Alive.. (This Thursday to be precise)... I will have a set of Alive Springs for sale for a 110 after Thursday if anybody is interested..

Regards

Tim It doesn't matter how bad it is, It can always get worse...

2013 Bowler 110 (Sold)
2016 Bowler 90 Rally Spec (Sold)
Post #496560 26th Jan 2016 12:17pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 27 of 34 <123 ... 262728 ... 323334>