↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Off Topic > Torch recommendations
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
Buz

United Kingdom 1987 Defender 90 200 Tdi HT Barolo Black
Torch recommendations
We help out marshalling Malamute Trails in the Forest. After yesterdays event we went off home only to be called out as a Siberian Huskey had escaped and was somewhere in the Forest so the Land Rover would come into its own. 10 hours later she was found, safe and well (about midnight).
I have a really good head torch but now realise a decent torch would also be helpfull. Needs to be rechargeable, decent capacity battery, powerful with a decent flood that can also change to a zoom. As with all these things not too expensive.
Ebay has lots of torches but i'd rather go with recommendations as much as anything
Post #491135 11th Jan 2016 7:38pm
familymad

2016 Defender 130 Puma 2.2 HCPU Santorini Black
LED Lenser 1951 80" S1 2.0
1995 110 300TDI
1995 90 300TDI
Post #491139 11th Jan 2016 7:46pm
RoddyK05

Scotland 2004 Defender 90 Td5 SW Yellow
Currently I use a Bushnell TRKR500 torch, got it as a present from USA, not sure if it's available here, but it's not dear. You should be looking for something between 500 - 1000 lumen, and get decent rechargeable batteries. I use standard eneloops, but maybe HD version might be better for higher output torch. Then you need to decide if you need one that you can just plug in to recharge, or happy to swap over the batteries. Some dearer torches have very specific battery requirements, I like ones that take AA batteries, that way you should never be stuck as these are widely available.
Post #491140 11th Jan 2016 7:47pm

United Kingdom 2003 Defender 90 Td5 HT Belize Green
+1 for LED Lenser, I have one of these and it really is excellent. It's very well made and chunky without being to heavy, super bright too!

Cheap in the link below too..

http://www.uktoolcentre.co.uk/Shop/p~45840...GwodZ-gDKA

EDIT: I didn't spot the rechargeable requirement, I'll have a look if they do one. The batteries in mine seem to last for ever though!
Post #491146 11th Jan 2016 8:00pm
RED-DOT

Scotland 
Source a good used Dragon T12 in 100W with 240V charger. Good enough for fire & rescue and RNLI. Anything else is a toy. 2008 RS4 gone, 123d M Sport, and a Puma 90 XS..
Post #491156 11th Jan 2016 8:11pm
JOW240725

United Kingdom 2012 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Orkney Grey
I've got an LED Lenser M series I believe from memory. Venomator found it cheap on Amazon at about 1/3 of price so a great bargain. it's tiny, just about twice the size of the 4xAA batteries it takes, but unbelievably bright! several modes, zoom lens. They do much bigger ones so can't imagine how much light they put out. Thumbs Up
Post #491177 11th Jan 2016 8:51pm
Venomator

United Kingdom 
Torch fun...
If you really want to confuse yourself and have fun doing it... Whistle

Another vote for the LED Lenser torch, great quality, excellent and variable light output for sensible money... Thumbs Up

Or, there was a fairly recent discussion on the Torch topic > HERE... Mr. Green
 Rog... Mr. Green
The GREEN One...

MY2016 Urban Truck Build Thread - http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic40548....al[/color]
Post #491178 11th Jan 2016 8:54pm
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
This is a bit like asking which tyres are best - you'll get many good but often conflicting suggestions!

I have had good experiences with LED Lenser and Coast. Personally I think the latter has the edge at the moment, but the technology is changing fast and this may not be the case next week or month.

I suspect your budget may be the limiting factor.
Post #491185 11th Jan 2016 9:13pm
Scoobeenut

United Kingdom 2010 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 SW Santorini Black
I would pop over here and have a look http://www.flashaholics.co.uk/ some of the Nitecore MH range should be suitable for your needs.
Post #491203 11th Jan 2016 9:42pm
Cupboard

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 HT Corris Grey
If you want a really geeky forum then:
http://www.candlepowerforums.com
or a slightly more down to earth one:
http://budgetlightforum.com

LED Lenser torches (at least when I last looked) always seemed overpriced to me. I have three bright torches, a fairly old Fenix, and more recently an Eagletac T200C2 and a Zebralight H52f. Problem is that there aren't many decent torches with a zoom. I have the Eagletac for "what's that across the other side of the field?" duties, and the Zebralight for working close up.

I can recommend all three brands, the Eagletac has had less use but the others have had much heavier use. The Zebralight has lived in my pocket for over 2 years and has had a lot of use. It's still looking nearly as good as new. I've bought a couple of Fenix 2*AA headtorches recently for other people who seem to be getting on well with them.

Lenses. the larger the lens and reflector, the tighter beam you can have. You can get high lumen outputs from small torches (like the Fenix PD35) but the throw suffers as a result. Of course, that means more spread and that might be a good thing for your use.

Batteries. Most torches work better on rechargeable or lithium primary batteries. Torches like my Zebralight will run on alkaline AAs but the regulation doesn't work well at high brightnesses. The Eneloops are good, but other rechargeables are out there - look for "low self discharge" or "precharged" ones. I bought my mum some Eneloops two years ago, and this year bought dad some GP Recyko batteries so he could tell the difference. You can get Li-Ion batteries in AA size but I don't really see the point. I've got one 14500 because my Zebralight has a slightly gimmicky feature of being able to do 500lm from it for a little while, but basically performance is the same as an NiMH at twice the price.

Larger torches will use 18650 batteries - make sure you go for protected ones and that they're from a reputable source. An 18650 is the same size as two CR123 batteries, although at 3.6V rather than 6V. For some torches (Like my Eagletac) that's fine, other's not so. Equally you get torches that are fine with an 18650 but not a pair of CR123s. Rechargeable CR123s exist, but they're the higher voltage of 3.6V so two of them make 7.2V which some torches designed for 6V don't like.

For charging, I have a Nitecore Intellicharger i4 which is very simple and works well. Chargers with more features exist, but the Intellicharger is a very stress free process of plop the battery in and you know it will be charged properly and not overcharged or damaged. It also has a car adapter.

Buying. Zebralights I tend to get direct because it's cheaper. Otherwise, I use these guys: http://www.ledfiretorches.co.uk/ who have given me very good service. When you get to the checkout you can use the code CPF8 for a discount. They also throw in a couple of keyring lights with orders, which are actually quite a bit better than the usual cheap crap you get.
Post #491230 11th Jan 2016 10:34pm
Projectblue

England 
You generally can't beat Led Lenser on bang for your buck. Also check Nightsearcher out.

I have purchased these in a professional capacity for many years and they are by far the best out there. Be careful of cheaper Chinese copies. New project and it's green: www.projectoverland.info
Post #491231 11th Jan 2016 10:35pm
g-mack

United Kingdom 
just dropped my lenser p7 on floor, broke it!!!! so on look out for new torch, not going for lenser this time, looking at this as a cheap alternative
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Zoomable-Rechargea...re+cree+t6 My 109 thread

my youtube channel
Post #491241 11th Jan 2016 10:46pm
Darcy Fairfax

England 2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Corris Grey
http://www.suprabeam.com/uk/products/q7

The daddy I think you'll find. Use it every day, rugged build quality, lasts forever with great flood and spot options!
Post #491254 11th Jan 2016 11:15pm
Projectblue

England 
how did you break a P7? Laughing New project and it's green: www.projectoverland.info
Post #491291 12th Jan 2016 12:36am
g-mack

United Kingdom 
rolled off kitchen table Shocked onto stone floor, no physical damage but light has gone mega dim!! unusable! still not too fussed as it seen 8 years service Thumbs Up just fancy something different this time. My 109 thread

my youtube channel
Post #491295 12th Jan 2016 12:42am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>