↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Off Topic > Stolen Ifor Williams Trailer ownership debate?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
Andy80

England 2008 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 HT Cairns Blue
Stolen Ifor Williams Trailer ownership debate?
Hi Guys,

Back in July I was driving a dual carriage way on the way home from work in moderately busy traffic and was beside a Japanese Pickup towing a twin axle Ifor Williams Trailer.

I looked across and thought that trailer very similar to my one my late father had, another mile or passed an I concluded it was the very trailer he had stolen 13 years before that was nearly new at the time.

I made a note of the truck registration number and called Essex police when I got home, after an hour aor so the police called and said are you sure and I said certain as some of the modifications I had made were still current.

Anyway a month or so passed and my mother got a call from Essex police with them saying they found the trailer 15miles away and from the chassis number ascertained it was very much my late fathers trailer and they are investigating the case.

Well about 3 three weeks ago the same wpc phoned saying did we want the trailer back as its been through a few owners but the thief had emergrated etc.and were intilttled to it....are answer was Yes please!

Last night another wpc phoned and said that to return the trailer we would need to go to court and prove ownership as the ''current custodian'' has a bill of sale thus saying it his property!

I'm confused if the stolen trailer was purchased new from our local Ifor Williams dealer why should my mother (my late fathers wife etc) now need to go to court and pay legal costs on something she owns!

Anyone else had similar experience?

Andy Working towards Carry on camping!
Post #470406 7th Nov 2015 4:52pm
gilarion

Wales 2007 Defender 90 Other CSW Trident Green
Difficult one this as the trailer has passed through many hands. However as the original thief didn’t have the legal right to sell it in the first place then each successive owner did not have that right either.
In law even if you did not know the item to be stolen by selling the item you will have committed the crime of handling stolen goods.
If as you say you carried out certain modifications to the trailer then also in law the trailer will be categorised as unique, and if you can prove these modifications were carried out by you that is enough to claim ownership, the term in law that covers people buying stolen goods and then claiming they did not know is Caveat Emptor (let the buyer be aware). For those who like Welsh Mountains and narrow boats have a look at my videos and photos at..

http://www.youtube.com/user/conwy1
Post #470413 7th Nov 2015 5:25pm
leeds

United Kingdom 
This may well be a can of worms and I can see why the police may well be seen as backing off.

Are you sure your mother is still the legal owner of it?

Reason why I ask that question is did an insurance company pay out for the theft of the trailer? If so the legal ownership of it may well have passed over to the insurance company. The big problem is now do you/your mother have any paperwork confirming original purchase, any paperwork associated with any possible insurance payout etc.

Even if there was no insurance payout, have you got details of the crime number etc so you can prove that your fathers trailer was actually stolen?

Yes you can identify that trailer, the current 'keeper' of the trailer has a bill of sale for it, but can you prove in a court that your fathers trailer was stolen, that there was no insurance payout and so no transfer of ownership?

Yes I can see the excitement of 'finding' your fathers stolen trailer and the frustration of the trailer not being returned. If there was an insurance payout then the insurance company may well be the legal owner, they might want to reclaim the trailer and then sell it on so they can recoup some money.

Brendan
Post #470421 7th Nov 2015 5:50pm
Andy80

Hi Brendan,

No insurance claim was ever made as this was 3rd trailer to be stolen! ( there was a large traveler site 3 miles away)and near enough I'm possible to insure!!

We have the original crime number and the police have the original paperwork with Ifor Williams id number quoted.

Were see what happens I guess and go from there... Working towards Carry on camping!
Post #470431 7th Nov 2015 6:22pm
TD5_dan

2001 Defender 110 Td5 CSW Java Black
No can of worms there now mate, that's Essex police for you as soon as means they have to do something they back down. Couldn't catch a cold. They want to stop stalling and get you your trailer back! Unfortunately doesn't matter if the bloke has a receipt from buying it can't see how it's any different from buying a stolen car they will still take that away from you. 2001 TD5 110 County Station Wagon - sold
1970 Series 2A Station Wagon
1970 Series 2A hard top
1960 Series 2
1972 Series 3
Post #470433 7th Nov 2015 6:32pm
ken

United Kingdom 
Go and Steal it back ?
Post #470436 7th Nov 2015 6:40pm
leeds

United Kingdom 
Andy80 wrote:

We have the original crime number and the police have the original paperwork with Ifor Williams id number quoted.

You have cleared away a lot of the worms!

My suggestion is that you go over the head of the WPC. Approach the station commander by phone, letter and email clearly stating the crime number, trailer ID, date of theft etc and clearly state who now has possession of your family property and give them say 7-10 days to reclaim your family possession. Make sure you have a clear record of time, date, names of police offices you have dealt with.

Now after giving your local police station commander a reasonable time to respond, you complain to the Chief constable and the local PCC that police officers X, Y, Z are not carrying out their duties. When you are about to do this tell your local police station.

Now if you have family solicitors it might be worthwhile having a quick chat with them and see if there are any other legal steps that can be undertaken to ensure return of your family possessions.

Brendan
Post #470440 7th Nov 2015 7:07pm
Grenadier

France 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Corris Grey
I'm not helping with any 'facts' but I am sure I've seen multiple Dom Liitlewood-esque programmes in which the new/current owners of stolen goods loose any right to it immediately the police ascertain the fact and have it whipped off them in a flash to add a bit of 'sob-sob' to the story. Never remember court cases etc required to prove it. And the new owners are out of pocket, disgruntled and with no recourse. Makes an episode of Watchdog more dramatic and sadder than Eastenders.... Big Cry Monsieur Le Grenadier

I've not been everywhere, but it's on my list.....

2011 Puma 110DC - Corris Grey
Post #470453 7th Nov 2015 7:48pm
Ranger

United Kingdom 2003 Defender 110 Td5 G4 LE Zambezi Silver
It's stolen property, simple, the Police have an obligation to seize it, failure to do so is a dereliction of duty. They've already identified the trailer as being the stolen one. A strongly worded letter from your solicitor and a complaint to the Ombudsman will work wonders. Although after 13 yrs, it is passed the statute of limitation for prosecution,
Post #470457 7th Nov 2015 7:59pm
leeds

United Kingdom 
This is the pan-European part of the login replying.
This strikes me as a perfect example of why trailers, caravans etc should have their own vehicle passport as in the rest of Europe. It won't stop them getting stolen but it might make it easier to prove ownership and while we are at it I don't have a problem with them having to have an annual safety inspection too. We have our trailers/caravan regularly serviced but how many dodgy ones are out there.
Barbara
Post #470545 7th Nov 2015 11:42pm
Projectblue

England 
The reason the Police have asked is because the current owner of the trailer has bought it in all good faith, and has proof of purchase. Therefore one has to prove it was taken from you in the first place.

It's regarding possession is 9/10ths and all that. But it's not the Police's job to make the decision. Because there is no way to prove the current owner knowingly accepted stolen goods then it's for a magistrate to make the decision. I doubt there is much of a problem doing that given the information, but don't be surprised if there is a delay in getting it done.
Everyone is thin on the ground these days Thumbs Up New project and it's green: www.projectoverland.info
Post #470577 8th Nov 2015 2:13am
SailingTom

United Kingdom 
Brendans answer there is the perfect one.

100% and if you have the crime number and purchase details you should be in luck. Unfortunately, you'll struggle if its still on a questionable caravan site as Essex police seem to stay away from them and do less than normal in those cases!
Best of luck though, it may take a while but definitely worth following up on, speak to your solicitor and maybe get a letter put together as has been already said.

Tom
Post #470595 8th Nov 2015 8:44am
Andy80

As far as i know its at normal residential address and will leave it couple of days until i make contact with a superior in Essex Police. I think there dragging there heals due to paperwork and cost inured for recovery etc...

Thanks

Andy Working towards Carry on camping!
Post #470982 9th Nov 2015 3:56pm
ARC99

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Cairns Blue
I do not disagree with what has been said, The property, trailer , would have been passed the ownership of your mother had it not been stolen. The police have confirmed that it is the same trailer therefore they should without fail recover the trailer into safe keeping as this would prevent it from being sold on and return it to your mother. The person currently have custody of it does not have title to it as it was stolen.

Now there is something nagging at the back of my mind ( no not the wife) about this situation. I reading about something similar while working for a living, that resulted in the rightful owner and person caught in possession both had to attend court for a settlement as to who was the rightful owner. I cannot remember the exact details but I am sure it was under the Property Act .

I would not wait, I would get straight onto an office senior in rank to the P.C. that spoke to you, demand that the recover the trailer as the person now in possession knows that they are likely to loose it and their cash and will move it on to recover the cash. Don't make old people mad.
We don't like being old in the first place,
so it doesn't take much to Censored us off.

Richard
Post #471025 9th Nov 2015 6:02pm
Supacat

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS DCPU Keswick Green
Common sense dictates that the OP should be able to recover the trailer; however, the Theft Act is a poor piece of legislation that allows lawyers to argue the finer points of the language such that the average policeman may think it's more than their jobs worth.

Good luck and let us know how you get on.
Post #471034 9th Nov 2015 6:46pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>