Home > My Defender > My new (to me) Defender 90 Puma
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 20 of 34 <123 ... 192021 ... 323334>
Print this entire topic · 
RRUK
Site Supporter

United Kingdom 
Interior Strip down and re-fit
Ahead of the weekend I spent an hour or so stripping out the interior, here's the list of jobs at a high level.

Remove cubby and fix spinning Rivnuts
Remove seats
Remove interior plastic side trim panels and Qtr panels
Remove headlining
Insulate and sound deaden the roof panel and what is left of side panels
Fit new black alcantara headlining
Refit black sun visors
Fit new LRI cubby
Fit LRI Corbeau seats
Refit dog guard 2016 D4 HSE

1998 110 TUM HS FFR Hard Top XD WOLF

1982 Series 3 SWB Petrol
Post #479116 4th Dec 2015 5:51pm
RRUK
Site Supporter

United Kingdom 
Once all the interior is stripped out there's a few points to note:

On the roof panel on the passenger side is the water feed pipe for the rear washer. Take care, mine had dropped onto the headlining and the tape had stuck it on, so it's a good job I was careful when removing it all. I will stick mine back ontop of the sound deadening material with aluminium tape.

Click image to enlarge

In the centre is the rear view mirror housing. To remove the mirror simply twist and it pops off, then there's a mounting plate which holds the headlining in place, it has 3 screws into rivnuts, normally one is spinning and makes removal hard. I was lucky.

Click image to enlarge

Here's the sun visor mount, a simple affair.

Click image to enlarge

And on the roof over the driver's side is the wiring loom for the interior lights. To remove the interior lights, pop out the lense, undo 2 x 8mm nuts and then undo the electrical plugs, the earth is on the backing plate. I'd suggets you reassemble the light so you don't lose anything.

Click image to enlarge

The end result - a nice blank canvas for my aluminium backed closed cell foam sound deadening and insulation material. Should be an hours work to do that.

Click image to enlarge
 2016 D4 HSE

1982 Series 3 SWB Petrol
Post #479121 4th Dec 2015 6:03pm
GypsySamuraiAnt

Australia 2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 SW Indus Silver
Great job and thanks for the detailed write up Thumbs Up
Post #479199 4th Dec 2015 10:46pm
RRUK
Site Supporter

United Kingdom 
Been working all day on the Defender, got quite a lot done but have been halted at the last hurdle.

I lined the entire roof with the sound deadening material, which will help with abating noise levels, however it also hampers the fitting of the headlining as there's less space for movement and adjustment.

The front section goes in first and pops into place mostly up against the gutters, then I fixed the sun visors in to hold it. Black fir trees X 2 on each side then hold it up. I had to just open up the the existing holes by half a mm to get my fir tree clips in.

I found that 2 of the rear view mirror housing rivnuts were spinning so I tightened those up with my rivnut tool. The third fell out so I replaced it.

The light went back in, was a bit fiddly but used a bent piece of wire to hold the backing plate still so that I could put the nuts back on. The rear mirror clipped back in fine.

The rear section was a bit of a pig as its a very tight fit ontop of the gutters. The trick is to bow the headlining down on each side, slot the back two corners up against the gutters and push pack all the way to the back panel, then lever the front corners over the gutters. Not for the faint hearted.

The stumbling block was that once it was in, my fir trees that secure the front and back sections together across the middle roof rib were not long enough. They are the same length as the original ones but the alcantara material and backing foam is thicker and the fir trees just can't get enough purchase to hold.

The answer is much longer fir trees and the ones that hold the interior trim panels in the rear are best, they have a bigger head size at 28mm and the shaft is 46mm long. Your dealer will charge you £5 for each clip! I found a place online that sells them for 32p.

So the headlining is all in, the rear panel above the door is in and the grab handles back on, but the centre is not held up fully until I get the clips next week. As I'm away for part of the week I think it will be next weekend this gets done now.

Once that's complete I can put the new seats and cubby in and then put the dog guard back in ( a fight in itself!)

It already looks amazing inside now the roof lining is black, feels cosier and so luxurious.

Pictures to follow. 2016 D4 HSE

1982 Series 3 SWB Petrol
Post #479401 5th Dec 2015 5:47pm
RRUK
Site Supporter

United Kingdom 
Here is the rear view mirror housing which is just riveted to the body. You can see the rivnut I had to replace, the others needed tightening up - why do LR make them so weak and pathetic? Why not just put a decent nurled rivnut in the first place?

Click image to enlarge

Here's the rivnut tool I got a few years ago, well worht investing in one, doesn't need to be expensive, has got me out of a few pickles and of course is extremely useful.

Click image to enlarge

Here you can see the roof interior, now all lined with the sound deadening material. That's such an easy job to do, and MUCH cheaper than buying Dynamat or Noisekiller - I've actually seen and felt Noisekiller at a show and its identical to these rolls I buy from Powerful UK on eBay.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

I'll take some interior pics of the headlining as it sits right now tomorrow, once it's daylight again. 2016 D4 HSE

1982 Series 3 SWB Petrol
Post #479408 5th Dec 2015 6:32pm
RRUK
Site Supporter

United Kingdom 
Here's the difference between a standard fir tree clip that holds the headlining in, and the ones that hold the CSW plastic side panels in place.

I have ordered a pack of 50 of these longer ones from this place, and will plasticote the heads matt black so they blend in nicely. Once they have arrived \I will replace all the old ones in the side panels so I have fresh strong clips in place, less chance of panel movement and squeak.

http://www.vehicleclips.co.uk/fir-tree-tri...-197-p.asp

Click image to enlarge
 2016 D4 HSE

1982 Series 3 SWB Petrol

Last edited by RRUK on 7th Dec 2015 2:32pm. Edited 1 time in total
Post #479429 5th Dec 2015 7:25pm
RRUK
Site Supporter

United Kingdom 
Test fitted the drivers seat today to see how it feels, still need the riser rails with the LRI seats, the ones from Paddocks are better than the ones from MUD UK in my opinion because you can alter the height front and rear independently, so you can lift the rear up, which aids clearance of the seat rails above the lip behind the seat box, and gives you a better position I think. 2016 D4 HSE

1982 Series 3 SWB Petrol
Post #479703 6th Dec 2015 6:43pm
YOLO110

Australia 
Great job mate!

Good plan to cover up that lovely steering wheel! Thumbs Up

Will be interested to 'hear' your thoughts about what difference putting the leading on the roof has made? I have found dynamatting the rear load area has made a HUGE difference Very Happy YOLO... You Only Live Once...
Post #479751 6th Dec 2015 8:02pm
YOLO110

Australia 
RRUK wrote:
Test fitted the drivers seat today to see how it feels, still need the riser rails with the LRI seats, the ones from Paddocks are better than the ones from MUD UK in my opinion because you can alter the height front and rear independently, so you can lift the rear up, which aids clearance of the seat rails above the lip behind the seat box, and gives you a better position I think.

I fitted the MUD UK ones and they give plenty of clearance above the lip behind the seat box. It's only the stiffening tubing that limits the rearward travel of the seat now... but plenty of legroom! Thumbs Up YOLO... You Only Live Once...
Post #479753 6th Dec 2015 8:04pm
RRUK
Site Supporter

United Kingdom 
So, here's some pictures of the new headlining. It isn't fixed across the centre yet as I am waiting on the longer fir trees to arrive this week in the post, but you can see what it looks like. Plus I test fitted the drivers seat, it looks very spanky Cool

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Here's the new cubby box next to my original one (now sold). Quite a size difference.

Click image to enlarge
 2016 D4 HSE

1982 Series 3 SWB Petrol
Post #479929 7th Dec 2015 12:26pm
fathaggis

Scotland 
headlining looks fantastic mate ..... as do the seats and cuddy box.... Thumbs Up

you do like your bubbly don't you Shocked Mr. Green
Post #479931 7th Dec 2015 12:33pm
Venomator

United Kingdom 
RRUK wrote:
So, here's some pictures of the new headlining. It isn't fixed across the centre yet as I am waiting on the longer fir trees to arrive this week in the post, but you can see what it looks like. Plus I test fitted the drivers seat, it looks very spanky Cool

Here's the new cubby box next to my original one (now sold). Quite a size difference.

Click image to enlarge

Looking spot on RR, very nice work sir... Thumbs Up

BUT HEY... Shocked

Some of the labels are not properly aligned and what the heck is that nasty yellow dubry doing spoiling the line up... Big Cry

Get a grip of your priorities matey... Mr. Green
 Rog... Mr. Green
The GREEN One...

MY2016 Urban Truck Build Thread - http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic40548....al[/color]
Post #479933 7th Dec 2015 12:44pm
RRUK
Site Supporter

United Kingdom 
That's only one rack of the fun-fizz! 2016 D4 HSE

1982 Series 3 SWB Petrol
Post #479949 7th Dec 2015 2:28pm
jk84

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Aintree Green
It's hard to keep up with this thread RRUK Wink Top jobs as always, great attention to detail. Don't know what your current profession is, but Defender modifications could potentially work out well if you ever need an alternative Very Happy MY15 Aintree 110 SW - for sale - https://www.defender2.net/forum/topic82781.html
MY16 Santorini 90 HT - sold
Post #479966 7th Dec 2015 3:42pm
Barney12

United Kingdom 2014 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Corris Grey
RRUK wrote:
That's only one rack of the fun-fizz!

Does the fun start before or after the fizz? Whistle
Post #479968 7th Dec 2015 3:45pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 20 of 34 <123 ... 192021 ... 323334>