↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Td5 > Shuttle valve switch removal! (ABS unit)
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
RF3777

Hong Kong 2003 Defender 110 Td5 USW Corris Grey
Shuttle valve switch removal! (ABS unit)
I have logged many time Shuttle valve switch electric fault, from search of web I understood its a part under the ABS box, but it doesn't seem a way to remove it, its on the inside of the wing, I heard people remove that shuttle valve switch from side air vent, I think I would give it a try, I hope if anyone would give me an instruction how to remove the side vent and those plastic part and tubes inside...

Thank you

Post #469610 5th Nov 2015 3:58am
couplands

United Kingdom 2001 Defender 90 Td5 HT Oslo Blue
You need to remove the ABS modulator assembly...the block with all the pipes going into it.

It will come out but it's a tight fit. If you loosen the pedal box ( undo the bolts from underneath in the footwell) you can move the pedal box/brake servo to make the job easier.

Put tape on the side of the wing to stop it getting scratched.

Cheers

Simon
Post #469615 5th Nov 2015 5:56am
RF3777

My ABS/TC light on, but restart the car usually goes off, but will then on again...
I read an article tells might need to engage the HDC sometime to put the ABS modulator to work, this will cure some of the error, I did try on a very deep road down, engage the low range just now, the ABS/TC light go off at once I released the clutch!
Now see if the light comes up again... Mr. Green

Click image to enlarge
Post #469623 5th Nov 2015 7:41am
JWL

England 2002 Defender 110 Td5 SW Coniston Green
I did replace mine in situ but it is a right royal pita. The way I did mine was to take off the air vent(snorkel on mine) along with all the inner airpipe assembly. Take off the wing stiffener bracket which allows you to start getting at the modulator.
I then undid the brake pipe clamp off the clutch pedal housing then a mixture of access through the vent and from the engine bay took out the modulator fixings to the mounting plate so the modulator is "floating". I then took the mounting plate out from underneath the modulator. With gentle pressure you can tease the modulator up an inch or two and property up which gives you a little more room to allow you to get to the three fixings holding the switch plate to the bottom of the modulator.
It is very fiddly, a lot of the spanner work is done by feel and at the extremities of your reach. I went this way as with doing school runs at each end of the day I didn't want to run the risk of immobilising my motor.
The first time I did this, I did the bypass option first, it took about 3 hours which included faffing about soldering new wires plus digging out half a bucket of accumulated crud that magically finds its way into the area you're trying to get to. When I replaced it with a new one it took around an hour and a half including sorting the snorkel.
If you're competent with a spanner and have patience then go for it.
Post #469646 5th Nov 2015 9:31am
RF3777

Thank you so moch for your instruction! Glad to know can take that oart off from the side cent, but seems not easy at all!
Post #469679 5th Nov 2015 11:13am
jimbob7

You can remove the ABS pump via the air vent,but it is unlikly that you can save the plastic grill which is held in place with tiny,tiny ultra fragile plastic clips,which break when you look at them.I bort a stainless screw in jobbie that you can repaint black. Pov.spec,ftw. 2006, 110,TD5.
Post #470124 6th Nov 2015 3:46pm
rfkdemon

United Kingdom 2000 Defender 90 Td5 Silver LE Zambezi Silver
It is actually possible to just remove the shuttle valve in situ as I have done this with my TD5 at the beginning of the year.
I did this quite simply by taking the arch spat off, this gives ample access to remove the bolts holding the side of the wing on. Remove the side of the wing and then use a ratchet spanner to remove the bracket the ABS pump sits on. This then gives you enough room with an 4mm Allen key to remove the 3 cap heads holding the shuttle valve in.

I have some pics of the job that I will try and attach later if that helps?

Matt
Post #471208 10th Nov 2015 9:03am
RF3777

Is the "SWO500030" ABS Modulator Switch 1998-2004 correct parts for TD5 2003?

Thank You Thumbs Up
Post #471846 12th Nov 2015 4:54am
dorsetsmith

Post #471850 12th Nov 2015 8:22am
RF3777

dorsetsmith: Many Thanks Thumbs Up
Post #472141 13th Nov 2015 7:14am
LinDens90XS

2003 Defender 90 Td5 XS CSW Bonatti Grey
I did what rfkdemon did and removed the side of the wing (tip: put pieces of masking tape at various intervals and mark with pen, then split tape at join, you will then be able to put it back in the same place). I removed the 3 nuts holding the pump (2 at the back) forced it up a bit and bent the bracket to ease the pump up enough to use the allen to remove the shuttle valve. Before replacing, I cut a vee in the bracket to match the front bracket so if I needed to do it again it would lift straight up, if you see what I mean. I did not touch the anything else on the pump so their was no leakage or muck to enter the system. I ordered the part for the Disco2 as apparently it is not available for the Defender (approx £40). been done now over a year and no problems since (hope not spoken too soon). Took me the weekend and a few skinned knuckle's but saved a lot of money. Just take your time and be patient, it helps if you have very small thin hands though. Hope this helps. Regards
Dennis.
Post #472348 13th Nov 2015 11:31pm
RF3777

It was real pain to change that shuttle valve switch, hope never in life need to do this again!
we work through the side vent basically! Mr. Green
In the end, I didn't put back one of the bracket bolt, because just cant get my hand in there...
Some insect egg found inside side vent... Shocked

Have someone pull the ABS unit up to free up space under it...

sometime work through from top wing!
Post #476603 27th Nov 2015 2:06am
roel

Netherlands 2003 Defender 90 Td5 PU Caledonian Blue
Within half an hour you can take a wing off so then you have plenty off space to work.

Click image to enlarge
 Roel

1984 90 2.5 na Diesel - RR V8 (1994-2001)
1997 Camel Trophy Discovery 300TDI (2001-2009)
2005 G4 Discovery III 4.4 V8 (2008-2018) It's gone but it still hurts.
2003 90 Td5 (2009-now)
Post #476615 27th Nov 2015 8:19am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1