↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Puma (Tdci) > Rattling when accelerating
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
Print this entire topic · 
frenzy

Australia 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SW Alaska White
Engine rattle
Hi Josh did you manage to find out what that rattle was? I have the same problem on my 110 puma and it has been driving me nuts, Land rover mechanic thought was the air sensor and the ECU, replaced both but it did not solve the problem, looked at the heat shield myself but.... no luck. and it happens when going uphill, particularly in 5th and 6th gear when I take the foot slightly off the accelerator. if I sit steady at 110kmh or more, it is really bad.
mechanic thinks it may be the injectors. not really keen to have the mechanic experimenting as it is an expensive exercise but he has no idea what it can be.
cheers
M.

Josh K wrote:
Right so the truck was serviced and a rather long list of faults were rectified including corroded brake lines, new front pads and discs, N/S front CV joint amongst other things. They looked at the UJs and greased them all but found no excess wear or play. On the road test the wind speed was gusting upto 65mph so was impossible to hear the rattling. They're going to have another look but I'm hoping you guys might be able to suggest possible culprits.

So far ruled out:
Gearstick rattle (already been fixed)
Heat Shields
UJ's
Loose Brake pads

And the main symptons are:
Rattling under acceleration (more pronounced going uphill)
Scanguage reports water temperature increases to 96-98 degrees
Post #458209 26th Sep 2015 5:02pm
Roy5695

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS DCPU Indus Silver
I took the head warranty mechanic out in mine for that issue and he advised it was just the injectors opening and closing. Sounds very much like old school pinking. I ran some injector cleaner now add 2 stroke to the diesel and its not as pronounced.
Post #458316 27th Sep 2015 9:02am
frenzy

Thanks Roy.
Am i right to assume that when the mechanic says it is the injectors he means there is a problem with the injectors? if it was just a normal noise from the injectors all vehicle would have the same issue but that is not the case Sad

I will try an injector cleaner as well, run a couple of fuel tanks and see how it goes.
I wonder if engine oli could have a part to play in it as well.
Post #458390 27th Sep 2015 12:54pm
Roy5695

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS DCPU Indus Silver
He didn't say it was a problem. He said the injectors learn how you drive and some driving styles exaggerate the noise. He also said its not mines not the worse one he's heard and it's nothing to worry about... We shall see. He seemed like a genuine bloke so took his words for what they were.
Post #458421 27th Sep 2015 3:36pm
Mogboy

Australia 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SW Belize Green
Have you checked engine and gearbox mounts & security?
Post #458562 27th Sep 2015 11:11pm
frenzy

I haven't check those but the gear box was pulled down not long ago when I had the clutch replaced ( mechanical failure Sad Big Cry )so I assume that would not be the problem, it is definitely not just a vibration and I am convinced it is not a "normal " sound the injector should do. And those injector definitely have not learned how I drive or they would not do this to me Laughing
I am having another mechanic looking at it in a couple of days and I will post what he says.
Post #458981 29th Sep 2015 3:09pm
frenzy

OK so I went to another mechanic who said.... it definitely sounds like pre detonation noise of petrol engine. possibly due to ECU early firing problem ?!?. to a certain degree it is to be expected in diesel engine but not this much Crying or Very sad
Still puzzled, and now I even have the engine light on. Crying or Very sad
Still love the Defender but I certainly did not expect so many issues from such a Bow down "royal brand" : water leaking in when it rains.... clutch failed at 100.000, aircon working only in 20 min blocks, very poor cabin seal ( dust everywhere) , transfer case oil leak at 70.000k just to name a few Whistle
Post #460524 5th Oct 2015 3:08am
frenzy

latest development. I bought a bottle of additive/fuel doctor ( I felt better than using 2SO). Added 50ml to the full tank. went through the whole tank and surprise surprise..... rattle is exactly the same as before Rolling with laughter yesterday engine light came on again today went to the land rover mechanic the supercomputer diagnosed a fault in the injector ( really??) tomorrow I will try add to the fuel half litre of Extra virgin italian olive oil, 50 ml of Balsamic vinegar and 15 mi of holy water.
ps. LR mechanic said this is 100% not a normal rattle. it is pre detonation but not of acceptable level.
Post #461808 9th Oct 2015 1:11pm
schuee

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Orkney Grey
I had a very similar issue on a previous post, see below, since then has been fine Very Happy

http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic30975.html

Cheers

Keith
Post #461860 9th Oct 2015 4:18pm
Rugerrog

United Kingdom 2014 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 SW Barolo Black
pinking puma !!
Mate,
not sure if its the same thing but my last 2.2 90 puma had what can only be described as "pinking" had it back to the dealers head Honco went out and said its normal, so I just got used to it

I now have a 14 plate 110 station wagon and that is not as pronounced but you can hear it faintly now and again. if I remember it was more noticeable in certain gear / speed combination's on the 90 Current Landy is a 110 2.2 Puma bit different from my first one a Series 1
with a straight 6 petrol engine Smile last one was a 2.2 puma 90 but the M4 crash barrier took care of that !!!!
Post #463021 13th Oct 2015 9:10pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12