↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Puma (Tdci) > Defender Anti-stall
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
Print this entire topic · 
Pickles

Australia 2013 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 CSW Keswick Green
I tested the anti-stall the other day, never done it before, but what a good feature, and,...easy to use!
We took Gracie to a steep, VERY steep, hill, held the car on the foot brake, then just let the clutch out, and away we went, no shudder, no drama, just forward motion!!
How does it work? Pickles.
Post #453207 7th Sep 2015 11:12pm
pumaxs

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Zambezi Silver
It's all part of the Defender's magic.
Sometime it's good Very Happy , sometimes it's bad Confused , but it's always magic!!
Just be nice to the Solihull fairies, and you'll get more good than bad magic! Wink '57 Defender 110 XS Station Wagon 2.4tdci
Post #453221 8th Sep 2015 6:13am
ClaudeG

South Africa 
pumaxs wrote:
My Puma was bought from Matford in 2012 & I was given the usual half day LRE voucher when I picked it up.
I booked a visit to Eastnor & chose a 110 SW for direct comparison with my own.
I'm pretty sure it was a '12 plate vehicle, as I think it was the first year that they did away with carpets.
The instructor's favourite trick of the day was to demonstrate pulling away on hill starts with the brakes still applied.
i.e. Stop half way up a hill, and hold vehicle on the foot brake, while still in gear, with the engine running.
Keeping your foot hard on the brake pedal, whilst releasing the clutch pedal, enabled you to pull away with no risk of rolling backwards.
Apparently, modifications to the abs system, in combination with the anti-stall & traction control systems, had made that feature possible for the first time.
The explanation was that on the old system, the abs sensors on the front axle talked to one another, and sensors on rear axle did the same, but front & rear axles didn't talk to one another.
However, on the new system, the sensors talked to one another across both axles, if that makes sense?
He told me that this feature was installed from 2011 onwards, but I've no way of knowing for sure.
You will have to give it a try to find out for yourself.
The brakes groan like hell, but the vehicle will pull away, and will not roll back or stall.
Obviously, you should release the foot brake once you are safely on the move.
Apologies if this is already common knowledge and I've just wasted several minutes of your life!

The new system also requires throttle input in order for the traction control to work. The old didn't and combined with anti stall made it basically unstoppable and potentially dangerous if unmanned, and probably the reason they canned it.
Post #455343 15th Sep 2015 8:33pm
jst

2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Stornoway Grey
[quote="pumaxs"
Apparently, modifications to the abs system, in combination with the anti-stall & traction control systems, had made that feature possible for the first time.
The explanation was that on the old system, the abs sensors on the front axle talked to one another, and sensors on rear axle did the same, but front & rear axles didn't talk to one another.
However, on the new system, the sensors talked to one another across both axles, if that makes sense?
He told me that this feature was installed from 2011 onwards, but I've no way of knowing for sure.
[/quote]

correct - well the ETC bit is! the anti stall has always been there.

11MY onwards (5 Jul 10 builds) had the new Bosch system where the sensors worked across all four wheels for comparions. the previous system (siemens?) only took sensors across each axle assuming the CDL would be engaged. the idea being the Bosch system was better as it didnt make the assumption the CDL was engaged (when it should of been)

the anti stall, combined with idle jack in low 1 and rev, has been on every Puma.

i expect the example you had included some wheel slippage on pulling away which would explain how ETC made the car pull fwd on a -11MY but not on a -11MY if CDL was not engaged?

who was the instr? Cheers

James
110 2012 XS Utility
130 2011 M57 bespoke Camper
90 2010 Hardtop
90 M57 1988 Hardtop
Post #455366 15th Sep 2015 9:37pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12