↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Puma (Tdci) > 110k miles Puma. Bin it for a new one? Or can you rejuvenate
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
Print this entire topic · 
enfield_dinosaur

2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SW Java Black
You can hear it here:

https://vimeo.com/136239823
(password is 110)

0:20
0:42
1:00-1:10

When I step of the accelerator, and the revs go down, the engine passes through a noisy "rattly range" which does not seem to be associated with the regular diesel knock. It only happens in excess of 60 mph, always in a similar rev range. It happens more regularly when under load.

Could it be the cam chain?
Post #447707 20th Aug 2015 2:18pm
familymad

2016 Defender 130 Puma 2.2 HCPU Santorini Black
If it's the £505 tax disc, you will save £2300 over the next ten years in RFL alone! New one! 1951 80" S1 2.0
1995 110 300TDI
1995 90 300TDI
Post #447730 20th Aug 2015 3:28pm
Pickles

Australia 2013 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 CSW Keswick Green
enfield_dinosaur wrote:
I realize that for truly pondering the options, I should write more about my car.

- 110k miles, MY2007
    - Classic Keswick with coloured roof. I quite like it.
    - Sensibly and modestly outfitted for offroad use, including raised air intake, BFGs on black Boosts, underbody protection. No bling. No major modification except for a crappy bluetooth radio.
    - Traction Control
    - Interior immaculate
    – Engine: No oil consumption at all.
    - It's been waxyoled and coated on the underbody from the beginning. Albeit the coating has been done badly, for the second time now.
    - M1 instead of N1G. Running costs are much more sensible.

The troubles:
    - Alu corrosion commencing on the panels below the rear seats. See this post: http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic37921.html
    - Slight bits of rust on the bulkhead behind the dashboard. Probably a leaky windscreen thing.
    - The chassis is still in very good condition, albeit some rust is starting to show. Another botched corossion treatment job last year sealed dirt, grass and mud under the coating. Coating falls off now. Will have to adress this soon.
    - a coin-sized, beautifully bubbly rust hole in the back panel where the back ladder once was.
    - It had a overheating problem, going into limp mode last summer. Should be fine now. I hope there's no damage still undiscovered.
    - Engine after-knocks loudly when I let go of the accelerator on half-throttle, I suspect the injectors or wrongly timed ECU
    - the power steering leaks, will have to be replaced at some point
    - New tyres will come up shortly,
    - Windscreen leaks a little

All problems can be sorted, I am sure. But I am wondering about the next 10 years here. I really, really like driving my Defender. It's an odd fascination, since otherwise I do not care about cars at all.

I think the question is: can a 110k Puma be (made) future proof? Or is it now the time to switch to a new one (and I mean new as in no more then 50k miles!), now that I can still get one? With the prices high as they are now, I'll end up Fuji White
and with vinyl seats, but it could be a better platform for the future.

I want to keep driving Defenders as long until emission laws force me off the road. And then some.

Tough call!

Well I'd still be buying a new one, but after reading this, I believe that in your heart, you really do want to keep it,....so do so.
Emissions?...I don't understand. Are you saying that you won't be able to drive it because of emissions? We are pretty tough on emissions in Aus, but apart from modified vehicles, which applies to ALL vehicles, there'll be no such issues in Aus.
Pickles.
Post #447891 20th Aug 2015 11:29pm
enfield_dinosaur

2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SW Java Black
Actually I am still on the fence. I'll have a look at a few with lower mileage, compare, and then see what apparently makes more sense. At best, it calms my conscience.

Yes, the emission laws of the EU are making Defender ownership more difficult each year. Starting with MY2011, you could only get them on the road as a commercial truck, which made it considerably more expensive in some countries. Insurance went up as well. Also, if you don't have an engine with a certain CO2-rating, you are no longer allowed into most of the cities. There is also an EU recommendation to stop the preferred taxation of Diesel, so more is yet to come.

The TDCi has an EURO4 rating, which is fine for now and possible to drive anywhere, but if you look ahead at what legislation here is planning, new EURO6 laws are already on the horizon for 2017. It'll restrict the whole current Land Rover models from going into cities. Only the latest diesel models with an Ingenium engine or AdBlue injection will be allowed.

Which would mean buying a new Discovery 4. Nice car, certainly, but no thanks, I'll rather stick with my old rattler then...
Post #447947 21st Aug 2015 9:27am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12