↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > RedBooster - Effect on Warranty
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Barney12

United Kingdom 2014 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Corris Grey
RedBooster - Effect on Warranty
In a desperate attempt to get 'The Rascal' (wife) to drive our June 2014 Defender 90 im considering sourcing a redbooster mod to make the clutch lighter.

My main question is: what effect will this have on my remaining warranty? I fear that LR will attempt to walk away from any clutch/gearbox issues in the future?

Just one other less important question. I've read lots of the previous posts and the instructions on description on the website. There seems to be a contradiction over wether any holes need drilling. FCX website says "there are no holes to drill at all" and yet the instructions on the main redbooster website mention drilling for a bracket?

TIA
Post #434208 28th Jun 2015 10:36am
K9F

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Stornoway Grey
Barney I think the fitting will indeed most certainly affect the warranty of your Land Rover. Ultimately this will be down to the Service Manager of where you take it to be serviced or warranty repairs carried out. Sound them out and if possible get their decision down on paper or in e-mail format as proof if they agree. Better still e-mail them first and see what they respond with.
Why are drilling holes any issue at all? With all the protective substances against corrosion available it shouldn't matter. Room under the bonnet of an XS is extremely tight with ABS etc. as I found when fitting my Provent filter, are you 100% sure the Red Booster will fit? I'd be keen to know as well. If you go through life with your head in the sand....all people will see is an ar5e!!

Treat every day as if it is your last....one day you will be right!!
Post #434210 28th Jun 2015 10:45am
theorangebandit

Red booster does fit in a puma, I tested one at Peterborough last year. Was a very alien sensation. The monting is snug but all fit in very well

I would argue that a redbooster would make full disengagement of the clutch much easier to achieve therefore reducing any unnecessary clutch wear, given the faults pumas suffer with clutches I would suggest this to be a good product.

As suggested, enquire at your regular stealer and it would be very wise to have a written support for the decision if its decided the warranty would still stand.
Post #434231 28th Jun 2015 11:59am
Barney12

K9F wrote:

Why are drilling holes any issue at all?

I've developed EORP since reading this forum.

(Early Onset Rust Paranoia)

Very Happy
Post #434250 28th Jun 2015 1:29pm
Barney12

I'll write to our dealer in the morning. Will let you know if I get a reply which based on even trying to book a service at our local dealer by email is highly unlikely Crying or Very sad

Will be interesting to see if FCX have any experience on the point.
Post #434253 28th Jun 2015 1:36pm
Supacat

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS DCPU Keswick Green
Would be interested to know if you get an answer from a dealer as they aren't the ultimate arbiter; and I wonder where you stand when they say its OK now but you deal with someone else at a later date?
Post #434286 28th Jun 2015 4:13pm
Go Beyond

United Kingdom 
Hi guys, I'm sorry, I have no idea if this will affect your warranty or not.

It is possible to fit a complete kit without drilling any holes but in fairness that's if you make up some small brackets to mount the air reservoir utilising existing bolts. If you don't want the faff of making brackets then you will need to drill a couple of holes in the inner wing mud shield.

Coincidentally I bumped into a pal at an off-roading event today who fitted one of our Red Booster kits to his 300TDi after suffering a motorcycle crash where it was touch and go if they were going to save his leg and he was raving over how much the kit has meant to him allowing him to be able to drive his 90
Post #434299 28th Jun 2015 5:11pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Mjibex

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Loire Blue
Barney12 wrote:
I'll write to our dealer in the morning. Will let you know if I get a reply which based on even trying to book a service at our local dealer by email is highly unlikely Crying or Very sad

Will be interesting to see if FCX have any experience on the point.

I would phone reception and ask for the service manager's e-mail address.

I wouldn't write a letter; it is much more time consuming for the dealer to reply to (in written format), than a simple e-mail, which will provide your answer and ongoing proof.

Regards Mark.
Post #434479 29th Jun 2015 8:35am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1