↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Puma (Tdci) > Puma gearbox overfill ?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 3 of 3 <123
Print this entire topic · 
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
I have a small leak from the front output shaft seal at the moment, which I hope to fix by the weekend. For info, it looks terrible because the oil gets flung all around by the flange, and also gets blown backwards all over the transfer box and O/S gearbox mount by the passage of wind uinder the vehicle caused by forward motion. It looks like a huge leak coming from some unspecified point on the gearbox.

By cleaning the oil off thoroughly and then going for a short drive, however, it can clearly be seen to be coming from the front output flange oil seal, a relatively simple repair.

It actally sounds to me like the perfect excuse to fits a Devon 4x4 DC front propshaft since it is likely that the flange needs changing anyway! Thumbs Up
Post #420111 30th Apr 2015 9:50am
Bravemeister

United Kingdom 2010 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 HT Tamar Blue
Blackwolf,

Did you get round to changing the front prop oil seals at the transfer box side..? Just wondering if its going to be a big job? I think i need to do it as i have the same issue that you outlined above (oil going everywhere underneath, possibly flung around by the prop)

Regards

Matt
Post #426712 27th May 2015 8:56pm
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
Yes, easy job.

Remove front propshaft, hold flange and unscrew retaining nut (M20 nyloc so 30mm socket), position drip tray to catch oil drips, pull flange off (may need a puller), lever out old seal. Clean old Loctite off splines, clean recess, lubricate new seal then fit (use a large socket as a drift), clean flange (renew if grooved), apply Loctite to splines, refit flange, refit washer, fit and torque new nyloc. Refit propshaft, top up oil, job done!
Post #426731 27th May 2015 9:42pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 3 of 3 <123