↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Puma (Tdci) > What will it look like dirty
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
Print this entire topic · 
ozzie1989

Wales 2010 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Bonatti Grey
I had a silver 90 and now a grey 110.

The silver, in my opinon, hid the scratches a lot better I often pick up from the type of greenlanes around here.

Scratches normally appear almost 'white' so blend in with the silver very well. Against the grey they stand out quite a bit, and against my mates black one they either look awful or make the vehicle look like a real Land Rover depending on who you talk to.

Dirt wise I would say that the grey vs black and silver hides the general dirt and road grime better.

I guess it depends how bothered you are with it looking clean most of the time and how many scratches you are likely to pick up. If you plan to keep forever just satisfy yourself, if you plan to sell on in a few years then take into consideration which is the most popular/will hide the most surface damage.

Also you have to be happy with the colour, for me it was either silver or grey as they both look good with black accessories I tend to fit.

If I had my time again thought I'd be tempted with that nice red metallic Wink Now: 2010 2.4 TDCi 110 Utility Wagon
Then: 2004 2.5 TD5 90 Hard Top (X-Tech Edition)
Post #404080 3rd Mar 2015 1:34pm
Grenadier

France 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Corris Grey
On the subject of paint choices and marks, I have seen little yellow dots appearing all over my Fuji white bodywork. Anyone have any ideas what it is? Similar size to small, splash drops but look like rust. Wondering if it is anything to do with salt? A 4x4 power wash does not get rid of it.... Question Monsieur Le Grenadier

I've not been everywhere, but it's on my list.....

2011 Puma 110DC - Corris Grey
Post #404083 3rd Mar 2015 1:48pm
Caterham

England 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Stornoway Grey
I'd say it probably is rust? Sad

re; paint colours I'd say go for the silver....silver looks like grey when it's a little dirty (so you start with a clean silver, then it looks like a clean grey and then a dirty grey) Very Happy
Post #404084 3rd Mar 2015 1:56pm
Hal

United Kingdom 
Another vote for Indus silver. Mine is always muddy and I've got a fair few green lane scars.

The trick is to keep the alloy wheels clean(ish), then standing 20 foot away the whole lot always looks pretty much OK.
Post #404209 3rd Mar 2015 8:29pm
Bionicmunky

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Santorini Black

Click image to enlarge
Sad Sad Sad Twisted Evil
Post #404282 3rd Mar 2015 10:41pm
Bionicmunky

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Santorini Black
however - when clean Whistle

Click image to enlarge
Post #404284 3rd Mar 2015 10:43pm
NickMc

Northern Ireland 2006 Defender 90 Td5 HT Bonatti Grey
Grenadier wrote:
On the subject of paint choices and marks, I have seen little yellow dots appearing all over my Fuji white bodywork. Anyone have any ideas what it is? Similar size to small, splash drops but look like rust. Wondering if it is anything to do with salt? A 4x4 power wash does not get rid of it.... Question

It'll be Tar, autogylm do a remover for particularly stubborn stuff, but you can buy it in big 20L drums (sometimes called truck wash) at very reasonable prices that you dilute and it lasts for ages for spraying on before power washing. Best way is a good clean and wax and polish and it'll not be so hard to remove.
Post #404298 3rd Mar 2015 11:12pm
gaijin

Switzerland 
Thanks for all the very good advice. This board is great! swmbo just suggested white. So white it will be.

Probably old news, but a friend told me there is no new defender prototype or otherwise at the Geneva car show, but they do have an autobiography.
Post #404516 4th Mar 2015 7:39pm
Grenadier

France 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Corris Grey
NickMc wrote:
Grenadier wrote:
On the subject of paint choices and marks, I have seen little yellow dots appearing all over my Fuji white bodywork. Anyone have any ideas what it is? Similar size to small, splash drops but look like rust. Wondering if it is anything to do with salt? A 4x4 power wash does not get rid of it.... Question

It'll be Tar, autogylm do a remover for particularly stubborn stuff, but you can buy it in big 20L drums (sometimes called truck wash) at very reasonable prices that you dilute and it lasts for ages for spraying on before power washing. Best way is a good clean and wax and polish and it'll not be so hard to remove.

Thanks Nick. Will try and track down a French equivalent.... Thumbs Up Monsieur Le Grenadier

I've not been everywhere, but it's on my list.....

2011 Puma 110DC - Corris Grey
Post #404644 5th Mar 2015 10:01am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12