↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Puma (Tdci) > Patriot roofrack
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 3 <123>
Print this entire topic · 
jont

2006 Defender 90 Td5 XS CSW Santorini Black
leeds wrote:

Good service from Paul at Hogarth Engineering.

If you want a price drop me a pm.

Brendan

Brendan - can you get 'bits' as well as whole roof ? ... I emailed Paul twice over last couple of month after a new side rail, bolts and the name of the touch up spray for their black racks ... nothing heard in weeks !!

thanks

Jon
Post #259725 18th Aug 2013 10:01pm
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
smb wrote:

On the whole, good value for money.

... the stainless steel screws/bolts react with the alloy. ... This also causes the bolt to fuse with the frame which as they are stainless steel and week causes the head to bur when using an Allen key. This results in having to drill them out and use a screw extractor.

I totally agree with the comments quoted above. The rack is a fantastic product and just right for the Defender. The only thing I would change is those b****y stainless fasteners - they're completely pointless and more trouble than they're worth! I have spent hours over recent weeks replacing them with ZP&P 8.8 steel equivalents, hex-head where possible, and replacing all the countersunk socket-head capscrews that are tapped into the alloy of the rack with nutted through-bolts (that way at least if you have to undo them you can get sufficient purchase with a spanner, and don't have to rely on the wholly inadequate purchase of the undersize hex socket).

If you think you'll ever want to dismantle your rack, replace the stainless fasteners when it's new, don't leave it three years. If you are sure that you'll never want to dismantle it, leave them, it'll never fall apart!
Post #260029 20th Aug 2013 10:08am
strang

United Kingdom 2009 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Galway Green
I have just come back from travelling around Germany and Holland with a Patriot rack fitted - no load on it though. However, there were no noise issues at all, and that was travelling at fast speeds on the autobahns (where there were diesel drinking issues - but thats another matter) Euro-Leafing to infinity and beyond.....
Post #260534 22nd Aug 2013 12:53pm
walfy

leeds wrote:
Yes they are good!

Yes they are made in the UK

Good service from Paul at Hogarth Engineering.

If you want a price drop me a pm.

Brendan

Brendan

You think??? I mailed them for a kit to mount my D3 rack to a 110. Had a mail back from the secretary(?) saying that it is possible and to mail Paul for a price. He was copied into the mail as well. I mailed Paul and asked him for a price. No response. As I'm currently in Afghan it's not easy to pick up a phone and call. So I enlisted the help of a good friend to chase it up for me. He called and is now waiting for a email reply. My first contact mail was sent on the 3 July and neither of us have had a reply from Paul.. Not exactly what you'd call good service. Unless you have different criteria than me?? 110 D250 SE HT
110 USW SOLD
RRE HSE Dynamic Gone, wife killed it
VOLVO XC60 R Dynamic with some toys

Polaris RZR 900XP SOLD
Post #260581 22nd Aug 2013 4:34pm
Supacat

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS DCPU Keswick Green
Would be nice to seee a response from the manufacturer regarding the issue with stainless steel bolts. I'm assuming they are not treated in any way on initial assembly?

Would a liberal coating of Duralac eliminate the issue or even coating with a low/medium threadlock resolve the issue...
Post #260796 23rd Aug 2013 12:03pm
walfy

When I removed the rack from my D3 I was left with 6 of the 8 mounting blocks stuck to the roof. The bolts were not siezed in the roof but the heads were in the ali block. I had to use a thin cutting disc to slice down through the ali mounting block to free the stainless bolt. I now need a couple of new blocks where it took several cuts to free it off. And I need a new set of bolts.
When I phoned Patriot and spoke to someone, not sure who. The answer was that they'd never heard of an issue like it before and mine must be the only set of bolts that have siezed. Not sure they were 100% truthful with their reply. Initially they said that it was my fault when I fitted the rack. But went quiet when I informed them that I drove to them and they fitted it for me.

But I'm still waiting for a reply about the 110 mounting kit for my D3 rack. I will buy it as I'm not spending out on another Patriot rack. 110 D250 SE HT
110 USW SOLD
RRE HSE Dynamic Gone, wife killed it
VOLVO XC60 R Dynamic with some toys

Polaris RZR 900XP SOLD
Post #260798 23rd Aug 2013 12:11pm
bpman

2008 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SVX Station Wagon Santorini Black
Looks to be a nice hannibal rack on the bay at the moment ... Item eBay Item No. 121162912902
Post #260822 23rd Aug 2013 1:44pm
Supacat

walfy wrote:
When I phoned Patriot and spoke to someone, not sure who. The answer was that they'd never heard of an issue like it before and mine must be the only set of bolts that have siezed. Not sure they were 100% truthful with their reply. Initially they said that it was my fault when I fitted the rack. But went quiet when I informed them that I drove to them and they fitted it for me.

It's a great shame when the fundamental product seems so good that it's let down by this sort of response. I wonder if this is known about by the owners of the company - would like to think it's just a bad response from an employee out of their depth rather than the official company response to such an issue.
Post #260839 23rd Aug 2013 4:15pm
Supacat

I don't suppose anyone has a set of fitting instructions for the twin rear ladders? I'm after a copy as I failed to get a set when I picked mine up. I've contacted Patriot and they've sent me a file I cannot open as it's in a .ppp file format and appears to be missing linked photos.

A pdf file would be perfect.

Thanks
Post #281502 12th Nov 2013 9:55am
Supacat

Supacat wrote:
I don't suppose anyone has a set of fitting instructions for the twin rear ladders? I'm after a copy as I failed to get a set when I picked mine up. I've contacted Patriot and they've sent me a file I cannot open as it's in a .ppp file format and appears to be missing linked photos.

A pdf file would be perfect.

Thanks

Mike - welcome.

Any chance of a pdf copy of this please?
Post #396062 5th Feb 2015 1:32pm
tookaphotoof

Netherlands 2013 Defender 130 Puma 2.2 HCPU Santorini Black
That explains the fast response because of two questions about the Patriot roof rack. First respons exactly on the first of September by Mike! Thumbs Up
Post #396074 5th Feb 2015 2:15pm
Mikepp

United Kingdom 
tookaphotoof wrote:
That explains the fast response because of two questions about the Patriot roof rack. First respons exactly on the first of September by Mike! Thumbs Up

Cool
Post #396084 5th Feb 2015 3:12pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
josefk

United Kingdom 2014 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Corris Grey
Hi all,

Rather than starting a new thread I thought I would ask a patriot roof rack related question in this one.

Can I ask those who have Patriot or Hannibal roof racks fitted with the "extended rack feet" type design feature these racks have that links 2 or 3 of the forward roof rack mountings (presumably not only spreading the load down the gutter but also making the rack assembly very stiff) if they've ever experienced any stressing of the defender roof leading to leaks etc. I've read smb's comments earlier in this thread regarding being careful during assembly but I wonder even if that is taken care of; if then down the road the flexible defender gutters and seams come off worse against a well made and therefore stiff rack like the Patriot or Hannibal type?

I have a 90 by the way in case the shorter length of the body is thought to make a difference.

cheers
Post #400681 20th Feb 2015 8:40pm
rleslie

Scotland 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Epsom Green
Has anyone got any experience that the patriot rack is better Than the Hannibal one?

I'm not sure which one to buy

Cheers Richard
Post #447874 20th Aug 2015 10:47pm
TJ101

Isle Of Man 2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Montalcino Red
People who have a Patriot rack will say Patriot
Those with a Hannibal will say Hannibal

I have a Patriot Thumbs Up and after 8 years will be looking for a new one to replace it,,
Seen a couple of Hannibal's, and will be ordering a new Patriot, even without the benefit of hindsight !! California F1, 75th 110 "Kermit", 50th Ann V8, 90 V8 Hybrid, 55 Series 1

Main Brian James Trailer Dealer for South West UK
Post #447879 20th Aug 2015 10:54pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 3 <123>