"People who have a Patriot rack will say Patriot
Those with a Hannibal will say Hannibal"

true enough...

for me the decision criteria were:

>t-channel flexibility for accessories - point to hannibal
>general lashing capability - score draw
>side by side fit and finish comparison - point to patriot
>rack-to-chassis ladder capability - point to patriot

this last point was most important in the end as rack-to-tub and gutter-to-chassis ladders just look and feel awkward and less robust and any body drilling just introduces another chance for future corrosion (IMHO).

i bought a patriot and would for sure do so again.

cheers
Post #447910 21st Aug 2015 6:37am
BigRuss

United Kingdom 2010 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Santorini Black
Well I agree with these statements but there is one final criteria that is being missed.

I originally wanted a Hannibal rack, then I wanted a patriot rack for the same reasons people had mentioned but in the end I bought a Hannibal rack.

Why

Because it was a deal I couldn't refuse, it was one of those odd eBay items that no one wanted to bid on and I happened to be in the area so could pick it up easily.

So remember a rack to chassie ladder can be made or adapted for any rack. Russell
2011MY 110 XS USW Black
Post #447930 21st Aug 2015 8:17am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Supacat

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS DCPU Keswick Green
josefk wrote:
>t-channel flexibility for accessories - point to hannibal

Seems a simple fix for patriot to move to this system or just offer an option if it's a cost related issue. i wonder why they don't? What are the disadvantages of such systems?
Post #447933 21st Aug 2015 8:22am
BigRuss

It can fill with crap! Russell
2011MY 110 XS USW Black
Post #447937 21st Aug 2015 8:35am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
rleslie

Scotland 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Epsom Green
That all makes sense. After re-reading the posts, I wonder if the Hannibal has the same rusting issues as the patriot with the stainless bolts?
Post #447945 21st Aug 2015 9:17am
BigRuss

All metal will rust or corrode. the type, grade and surface coating will determine how long it will take before it starts Russell
2011MY 110 XS USW Black
Post #447950 21st Aug 2015 9:33am
K9F

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Stornoway Grey
Hannibal and Patriot are both synonamously related to 'quality.' I would I am sure been happy with either. I arranged to view both a Hannibal and a Patriot the same day. In the end by default as the Hannibal was sold before I could view it I ended up with a very old 'pre serial numbered' Patriot, it was third hand. It had at some juncture been powdercoated black fully assembled. Apart from a few chips in the finish on the rack bed it was perfect. It was my intention of running with it for the winter with a view of getting it recoated the following summer if required. Four years later it is still on my roof having had nothing done to it.

http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic26298....p;start=15 If you go through life with your head in the sand....all people will see is an ar5e!!

Treat every day as if it is your last....one day you will be right!!
Post #447956 21st Aug 2015 9:52am
familymad

2016 Defender 130 Puma 2.2 HCPU Santorini Black
Have owned LR expedition, brownchurch, patriot and Hannibal. LR is crap quality coating and all three rusted within 1 year. Noisy. Never again even though I like the shape/profile the best.

Hannibal in alu finish, lovely and light too. Worked well with roof tent but a hassle taking the sides off for that. Much quieter than LR offering.

Patriot black. Solid, like honed from one piece of metal. Quieter than all of above. Heavy to put on and get off. Looked the part but wish I had gone natural as the coating did start to wear and chip off with use. Black looked awesome on a grey 110 though!

And let's not forget Brownchurch........ Does what it says on the tin. Purchased by utility companies the world over and galvanised! Not pretty but a great rack.

Patriot gets my vote for the (perceived?) better build and feel good factor. Dunno, like sitting in an Audi vs Kia. Does same job but one just feels and looks better! 1951 80" S1 2.0
1995 110 300TDI
1995 90 300TDI
Post #447957 21st Aug 2015 9:55am
strang

United Kingdom 2009 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Galway Green
K9F wrote:
'pre serial numbered' Patriot

I have an old Patriot too - just wondering where I might find the serial number (if it has one)? Not that I have looked very closely at it. Mine is also engrave on the rear rail with 'Trek Overland' - similar to the Patriot engraving along the sides. Euro-Leafing to infinity and beyond.....
Post #448003 21st Aug 2015 12:39pm
Scotm

Scotland 2012 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 SW Orkney Grey
Brownchurch for me! Fit and Forget.

Have had mine for 15 years now and on three different defenders. No sign of rust on the main frame. This year just needed to zinc spray the fitting brackets to freshen it up.

It lives on the defender in all weathers and gets used for bikes, canoes, scouting and diy projects.
Post #448060 21st Aug 2015 4:07pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 3 of 3 <123