↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Puma (Tdci) > My MY2014 Puma and the 1500rpm pogoing/hopping/hiccupping.
Does your TDCi 2.2 Puma suffer from pogoing/lurching or similar around 15rpm in 2nd gear?
Yes, and I'm really frustrated by it.
67%
 67%  [25]
No
21%
 21%  [8]
Yes, but it's just a Puma thing - live with it.
10%
 10%  [4]
Total Votes: 37

Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
Print this entire topic · 
sparkylee

2012 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 DCPU Santorini Black
I did have the kangerooing at first (prob 1yr ) but now it's gone may be I've just adopted a different style of driving with out knowing it, as nothing's been done and it's now 3yrs old and 16k miles It's good to be back from the dark side

DC110 -2012 Black with black hood and black x-tech
FFRR 4.2 vogue
Renault traffic auto
PT crusier convertible
Laika x700 Motorhome
Post #385568 6th Jan 2015 8:17pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
adamatdraycott

United Kingdom 2014 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 SW Corris Grey
I have found in the 10 months in driving mine i have changed my driving style to suite a smoother drive.
The occasional hiccup but generally its ok.

The main thing i found is to be very slow on the clutch
Post #385945 7th Jan 2015 3:04pm
Pipmac

United Kingdom 2014 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 SW Keswick Green
I have the same issue and frustration in my 14my but hadn't raised it on this site because of the "driving style" brigade usually killing the conversation. I'd welcome some "class action" in a vote as I am certain my dealer will tell me it's a vehicle characteristic if I raise the point.

Don't want to remap until it's out of warranty and it doesn't always improve with that I have learned from the various threads.

What next? Wait for more names? How many is enough to go to LR for recognition and correction of the matter?
Post #386556 8th Jan 2015 10:55pm
wmca

Australia 2009 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SW Stornoway Grey
Talk to Pete at BAS, in most cases he is able to find a solution to most problems.... WMcA Brisbane Australia
Defender 2.4 Puma 2009

“Airbags! The other vehicle is my crumple zone!"
Post #386607 9th Jan 2015 12:07am
redzob

Guernsey 2015 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Corris Grey
Pipmac wrote:
I have the same issue and frustration in my 14my but hadn't raised it on this site because of the "driving style" brigade usually killing the conversation. I'd welcome some "class action" in a vote as I am certain my dealer will tell me it's a vehicle characteristic if I raise the point.

Don't want to remap until it's out of warranty and it doesn't always improve with that I have learned from the various threads.

What next? Wait for more names? How many is enough to go to LR for recognition and correction of the matter?

Pipmac - I think you're echoing my thoughts exactly. I'm attempting to gauge the size/percentage of puma owners this affects so that I can then point the poll at LR. I figure running for a month should provide a good indication. Defender Puma 2.2 XS 90
Vespa GTS 300
Way too many racing bikes.
Post #386652 9th Jan 2015 8:33am
redzob

Guernsey 2015 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Corris Grey
I'm seriously considering the BAS City remap as I think it's perfect for me and an inspired idea. That said, I'm still dumbfounded by the fact the solution to the kangaroos (its officially a verb now) might be digital - I thought the ECU map was the one constant when the mechanicals on what is essentially a handbuilt vehicle can be so variable (especially a LR one). How can our trucks be so different? Defender Puma 2.2 XS 90
Vespa GTS 300
Way too many racing bikes.
Post #387058 10th Jan 2015 4:43pm
Iktank

Wales 2014 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 SW Corris Grey
Just had a 110 for 2 days, it started with 9 miles on the clock and I put on another 165miles. The 110 had no issues with "kangarooing" unlike my 90
I did however find the throttle less responsive/sensitive as you initially applied the throttle. This is where I find on my 90 I seem to have an issue (eg normally evident on mine when I turn into my street where I change down from 3rd to 2nd the revs are only about 1700 as I go into second and I only gently want to apply throttle to take the corner to try to maintain steady slow speed it "kangaroos"

Dealership had a good look at it over 2 day reported no fault codes, rebooted the ECU, plus I had a RAi fitted. Strangely the 90 is driving better Exclamation

If I do go fro a remap it will be the BAS citymap but I note the special editions 90's being released - adventure and autobiography - will have 150bhp. If this is so Land Rover may make this available as a performance tune Question
If so I will wait a couple moths to see if this is so before I decide on LR map or BAS map
(previously I had the first of the Freelander 2's they were release initially with just over 150bhp where LR released a 190bhp performance tune - I had this done and it made one hell of a difference to the drivability
Post #387064 10th Jan 2015 5:11pm
DSB

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Indus Silver
I have spent a fair amount of time in my 90 today, 'A' roads, motorways and some farm land/field/tracks whilst towing a clay pigeon trap - and didn't notice anything. Not sure if its my driving style Question, the most noticeable thing is the crunch as it goes into some gears. Couldn't fault my 90 today, 230 miles - 70mph on the motorway (a few wobbles in the wind), second gear on farm tracks for a couple of miles, and along the edge a couple of very boggy fields, all went well.
Post #387102 10th Jan 2015 6:57pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12