↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Puma (Tdci) > puma gearchange clunking
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 3 of 3 <123
Print this entire topic · 
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
munch90 wrote:
when we were doing lots of race boxes ( not land rover) it was called a one pin ( or standard one ) or the uprated one was called the two pin

Exactly my point, and why I always refer two "2 gear" and "4 gear" diffs! A good example of how misinformation and technical inaccuracy is popularised by the internet.

Another example is the term off-roaders love "hawse fairlead". There's no such thing! There are fairleads, there are roller fairleads, but "hawse fairlead" is a nonsense term invented by someone who really doesn't know their terminology.
Post #349558 4th Aug 2014 11:58pm
newhue

Australia 
agree, two pin and four pin shouldn't be used. But on the other hand if we didn't have the internet to bani miss information around Landy Andy could possibly be off the road into a tree because Land Rover would say that noise is normal.

Depends who's miss information is relevant. But one pin it is from now on. Thumbs Up My Defender and travels
Post #349565 5th Aug 2014 6:02am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Regard

South Africa 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 X-Tech LE Orkney Grey
Shocked

Ok....so I can sleep better at night then?

So, since I have a 2011 build year according to my VIN, I should not have a 1 pin/2 gear diff but rather a 2 pin/4 gear diff???

Thumbs Up
Post #349569 5th Aug 2014 6:27am
newhue

Australia 
well..... if you believe Land Rover. Also not hard to pop the filler off the front diff, shine a torch in, and satisfy yourself. But yes having a 2011 you should be good to go. My Defender and travels
Post #349570 5th Aug 2014 6:29am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
landy andy

2006 Defender 110 Td5 USW Zermatt Silver
Regard wrote:
Shocked

Ok....so I can sleep better at night then?

So, since I have a 2011 build year according to my VIN, I should not have a 1 pin/2 gear diff but rather a 2 pin/4 gear diff???

Thumbs Up

No, you can't. There is only one way to confirm yours, and that's to check it out.

But, if you have had it replaced, it won't have done high milage.
Post #349585 5th Aug 2014 8:15am
milesr3

2016 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Keswick Green
Miserableolgit wrote:
They are very variable even straight from the factory or with a few miles under their belt. Properly sorted I found it should be able to change gear slightly quicker with the 2.2 as opposed to the 2.4, the former does not need quite so much knack in obtaining smooth changes.

When we first got ours it used to bang and clank a lot with every gearchange. It was almost impossible to do a smooth change.

We had some issues with missing servicing by the supplying dealership and got our local dealer to do a FULL service, including changing all the gearbox and axle oils. It was really noticeable how much smoother and quieter the drivetrain was with fresh fluids.

I also think there is some degree of adaptation in the mapping with the rev hang facility, which gets messed up by switching between regular and v-power / millers additive. Swapping between fuels makes the part throttle response on mine very odd for the first half a tank and it's impossible to do a smooth change. Also trying to 'help' the smooth change with a little throttle (like I have to in my Elise) makes it worse. If you just take your time and let it do its thing, it seems to settle down after a while and you get completely smooth, silent gear changes every time; even in lower gears.

The only bit of technique that I've learned for a super smooth change is to lift off the throttle so that it is at a constant speed and not accelerating when upshifting and getting the clutch disengaged quickly so that it begins coasting from this unloaded state before engaging the next gear.

In summary, even with the same vehicle over 9,000 miles I've observed significant variability in the smoothness of the gear change. It shouldn't be a surprise then that different vehicles have different characteristics.
Post #349619 5th Aug 2014 10:47am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 3 of 3 <123