↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Puma (Tdci) > Bad Landrover....
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Mac22

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 DCPU Santorini Black
Bad Landrover....
My lamps on the roof rack have conked out, which I only found out yesterday stuck on the M56 for three hours, extremely late picking my nephew up from the airport.
First trip home from Aus in nine years and even with all the jollies going with the family, all I could think about was my effin' lights.

Rain stopped play last night, so with mutimeter in hand attacked it this morning.

Now the wiring was factory fitted, trying to type that through gritted teeth and all I have done is fitted better lamps so it couldn't be anything really bad... Whistle
Fuses checked, still nought at the lamp, try the crap switch LR fitted. Center dash off and surprise the switch was glued in place, tested OK.
Hour & half later dash refitted...GRRRRR!
Spent the next hour tracing the loom which goes through the RAI. Still getting power to the live so checked the earth, nothing.. Tucked away in the wing I found the earth wires, tested and traced back to the earth point. Which was a small ally bracket that supports the plastic inner wing. Removed, filed, re-fitted still no earth.
RE-sited the earth wires and Ta Dah!...

Alas the switch in annoying me now.... Whistle
Post #349207 3rd Aug 2014 1:04pm
gilarion

Wales 2007 Defender 90 Other CSW Trident Green
Quote:
Now the wiring was factory fitted

Defender wiring is in a league of its own, its not that great on newer models when you come to to pre 1997 models its a nightmare with loose bullets and wires joined with a bit of insulating tape at the factory, don't even get me started on wiring fitted to early 90's cobbled together by British Leyland Evil or Very Mad
Post #349211 3rd Aug 2014 1:28pm
shaggydog

United Kingdom 1991 Defender 110 200 Tdi USW Arles Blue
Quote:
don't even get me started on wiring fitted to early 90's cobbled together by British Leyland
Tell me about it.

The wiring behind my headlights when I first got mine was, exciting.
Post #349213 3rd Aug 2014 1:38pm
Mac22

All valid points...
Inspecting the looms earlier, I have concluded a maximum of half a roll of insulation tape has been used throughout. Thumbs Up
Feed for the spots start at the battery in red cable-fuse holder-onto white cable, through the seat box no rubber grommet. Up to the fuse board below the steering wheel, changes to brown after the relay, then somewhere between the bulkhead / RAI it changes to blue / white....
If I never had the facility to "ring out" it would of drove me mad. Plus there was three changes in the cable diameters Whistle
Post #349244 3rd Aug 2014 5:02pm
GUM97

United Kingdom 1997 Defender 90 300 Tdi HT Stornoway Grey
Re: Bad Landrover....
Mac22 wrote:
My lamps on the roof rack have conked out, which I only found out yesterday stuck on the M56 for three hours,

How do you find that out stuck on a Motorway? Shocked Laughing An engine to TDi for!
"Land Rover- Proudly turning drivers into mechanics since 1948"
Post #349266 3rd Aug 2014 6:55pm
Mac22

Ha Ha Ha ........I was bored stiff behind a stationary white artic and decided to see how bright the my lights were or not...As you do like... Mr. Green

Then I was hanging out the door, doing a "I don't ****ing (Victor Meldrew) believe it... Whistle
Post #349273 3rd Aug 2014 7:25pm
Cuthbert

"don't even get me started on wiring fitted to early 90's cobbled together by British Leyland" said the poster

British Leyland - does anyone miss them, their products, their employees, their approach to quality, their industrial relations?
Post #349487 4th Aug 2014 6:17pm
Martin
Site Admin

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Montalcino Red
Very much doubt that lights on a roof rack were factory fitted - dealer fitted may be, but unless a Special Vehicles build then not at the factory.  1988 90 Td5 NAS soft top
2015 D90 XS SW
Post #349488 4th Aug 2014 6:21pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
gilarion

Wales 2007 Defender 90 Other CSW Trident Green
Cuthbert wrote:
"don't even get me started on wiring fitted to early 90's cobbled together by British Leyland" said the poster

British Leyland - does anyone miss them, their products, their employees, their approach to quality, their industrial relations?

My uncle worked at British Leyland, (sadly he passed away last year), and he would often keep me amused with all the shenanigans that went on there. His best story was that some of the lads who worked there built a two man submarine for themselves in one of the sheds at the back of the works using the order dept to get the parts, no one questioned any of the parts ordered, until one day a minister visited the site and noticed on an office desk an order for a depth compass, but even then no one questioned it afterwards. Everyone but the management knew they were building it. The submarine when finished was kept at Conway Harbour for many a year. I have no idea what this submarine cost in parts that British Leyland paid for unknowingly but I would estimate a hell of a lot!
Post #349493 4th Aug 2014 7:09pm
Mac22

Martin wrote:
Very much doubt that lights on a roof rack were factory fitted - dealer fitted may be, but unless a Special Vehicles build then not at the factory.

Possibly not, but it landed at the dealers as their new demonstrator loaded with some very tasty mods. Poorly fitted but still tasty.. Whistle
Post #349561 5th Aug 2014 1:21am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1