↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Puma (Tdci) > Rust dilemma !
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
Print this entire topic · 
mk1collector

England 2004 Defender 110 Td5 CSW Bonatti Grey
The bulkhead is steel but the windscreen surround is Ali. The Ali still corrodes though.
Post #319463 27th Mar 2014 11:28am
munch90

England 
the surrounds are ally ,bulkhead steel
Post #319464 27th Mar 2014 11:30am
LandRoverAnorak

United Kingdom 
The bulkhead is steel - the bit below the horizontal foam seal. The windscreen surround is some sort of aluminim alloy casting. Darren

110 USW BUILD THREAD - EXPEDITION TRAILER - 200tdi 90 BUILD THREAD - SANKEY TRAILER - IG@landroveranorak

"You came in that thing? You're braver than I thought!" - Princess Leia
Post #319465 27th Mar 2014 11:30am
Joe the Plumber

2014 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 HT Fuji White
Thanks folks. Looks like there's some serious rust proofing to do there then.

I've never had to consider aluminium corrosion before, so that will be interesting. My initial thought to keep the water off it is to use Dynax UC under the screen rubber, and AutoBalm, regularly applied, on the exposed paintwork.

If the joint on the screen frame is welded, it will have reverted to an as-cast structure at the weld boundaries which would be more prone to corrosion than the surrounding metal. If, on the other hand, it's intergranular corrosion (ie between inclusions of some kind in the aluminium, and the metal itself), having experienced this before in steel on various mid 1980s cars, there's little or nothing to be done, so I hope it's not.

Incidentally, can anyone say if this a fairly recent phenomenon, or is it typical of Land Rovers of all ages?
Post #319503 27th Mar 2014 2:30pm
Happyoldgit

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Corris Grey
They have always rusted especially in the bulkhead, outrigger and rear X member areas, other places of concern used to be the door frames and their aluminium skins but the new all steel doors appear to be holding up better. A lot depends on the environment in which they are used. The wax coat that used to be applied to the chassis was dropped with the introduction of the Puma, those of us who had some of the first ones in 2007 were successful in arguing that this was a retrograde step and managed to get some main dealers to rustproof our vehicles at £0.00 cost, they soon got wise and stopped that little perk though. Steve.
Owned numerous Land Rover vehicles of all shapes and sizes over the decades.
Current Defender: A non tarts hand-bagged Puma 110 XS USW.

[Insert something impressive here such as extensive list of previous Land Rovers or examples of your prestigeous and expensive items, trinkets, houses, bikes, vehicles etc]

http://forums.lr4x4.com

I used to be Miserable ...but now I'm ecstatic.
Post #319504 27th Mar 2014 2:41pm
Joe the Plumber

Thanks very much, but I'm acutely aware of the problems with the steel bits. What I meant was is the aluminium corrosion around the windscreens a recent phenomenon?

If you have a look at some of my other posts, you'll see I'm a bit of a rust prevention obsessive (to put it mildly)!
Post #319551 27th Mar 2014 8:28pm
jimbob7

/\/\/\ Think it's hit and miss when it comes to any part of the bodywork,the paint on my roof was poor and started to lift off leaving bare ally (not small pieces either Evil or Very Mad ),I've noticed others complaining about paint coming off their roofs as well. Pov.spec,ftw. 2006, 110,TD5.
Post #319588 27th Mar 2014 9:51pm
Happyoldgit

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Corris Grey
Yes, the frames do seem to corrode more on later models. Favourite corrosion spots are the solid alloy blocks that fix the screen frame to the bulkhead. The blocks themselves are generally of poor quality and poorly painted, the frame area immediately under and near these blocks as well as the bolt holes in the frame are corrosion hot-spots too. Steve.
Owned numerous Land Rover vehicles of all shapes and sizes over the decades.
Current Defender: A non tarts hand-bagged Puma 110 XS USW.

[Insert something impressive here such as extensive list of previous Land Rovers or examples of your prestigeous and expensive items, trinkets, houses, bikes, vehicles etc]

http://forums.lr4x4.com

I used to be Miserable ...but now I'm ecstatic.
Post #319590 27th Mar 2014 9:58pm
Joe the Plumber

Thanks Steve, that's most interesting.

An odd question perhaps, but do the people who've experienced the aluminium corrosion regularly polish or wax their vehicles? If not, I wonder if doing that would help to prevent it?
Post #319633 27th Mar 2014 11:17pm
SailingTom

United Kingdom 
Joe all my defenders are polished weekly (well polish every 2 but waxed every week and never missed) and yet my last one had it around the screen that was replaced and was ok then. I think its down to luck! Defender puma dormobile camper
Post #319637 27th Mar 2014 11:25pm
jimbob7

Joe the Plumber wrote:
Thanks Steve, that's most interesting.

An odd question perhaps, but do the people who've experienced the aluminium corrosion regularly polish or wax their vehicles? If not, I wonder if doing that would help to prevent it?

I think it's (usual?) poor prep at the factory,other ali vehicles don't fail like Landrovers do, an am sure most of them dont get looked after either,that said,a dirty vehicle will rot quicker than clean one,good paintwork or not. Pov.spec,ftw. 2006, 110,TD5.
Post #319664 28th Mar 2014 12:38am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12