↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > Rust prevention or treatment
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 3 123>
Print this entire topic · 
Matthew_Mills

England 
Rust prevention or treatment
So after 3 Defenders I know it's going to rust. Do I treat now, when it's relatively new with a preventative treatment, or wait and then treat for rust? I guess I know the answer, prevention, but I've read so many threads of do and don't nature, site sponsor spats et al...

What does the average user say?

And if yes, which treatment and where given I'm in Somerset.

If it's done I'll have the entire vehicle done...

Advice please

Bow down

PS far to many threads and arguments so started a new one!
Post #315947 14th Mar 2014 5:04pm
ericvv

Switzerland 2009 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SVX Station Wagon Santorini Black
Post #315950 14th Mar 2014 5:09pm
lukev01

England 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Santorini Black
^^^

Either PM Zagato and get it done by the guru himself, or get it done in Dinitrol somewhere else as soon as possible. I arranged to get mine done straight after delivery.

I am sure forum members can recommend somewhere near you. 1970 Series 2A 88"
Post #315965 14th Mar 2014 5:58pm
custom90

United Kingdom 
Do it yourself with Dinitrol. Thumbs Up NEVER SURRENDER! ⛽️🛢️👨‍🔧🧰⚙️ RED, WHITE & BOOST! 🇬🇧
Post #315978 14th Mar 2014 6:17pm
Natlas

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Aintree Green
Yes, DIY with Dinitrol isn't too tedious and you can spread the task over a few visits if you want. 2.2 90 XS
88" Series One
Old Norton Smile
Minerva
Post #315994 14th Mar 2014 7:15pm
dwrights

United Kingdom 
Zag is on crutches and out of order at the moment.
Post #315997 14th Mar 2014 7:22pm
jimbob7

DIY with Dinitrol,and don't forget the top of the front suspension turrets,they hold a small cup full of mud.You don't need to do it all at once,divide it into front and rear halfs.Also your chassis isn't gonna (seriously) rust for a while yet, especially if keep on top of it with regular jet wash underneath. Pov.spec,ftw. 2006, 110,TD5.
Post #315998 14th Mar 2014 7:23pm
Matthew_Mills

England 
So I'm assuming that Dinitrol is an oil wax mix that you spray on, having cleaned everything down... I've seen a couple of threads on how to do so I guess go read gain is the answer...

Mind you time is limited...

How do get hold of the man Zag?
Post #316024 14th Mar 2014 8:36pm
jimbob7

You can buy Dinitrol in aerosol or 1 liter cans that you need a special gun and compressor for.I did mine with aerosols.As said you don't need to do it all at once.I guess the most important thing to do first is the inside of the chassis and X-members.Again if you keep on top of the chassis it's not gonna rust for a while.
Dinitrol'ing a new chassis is an utter doddle,took me months just to get rid of ALL the mud BEFORE I could dino' mine. Pov.spec,ftw. 2006, 110,TD5.
Post #316029 14th Mar 2014 9:01pm
X4SKP

United Kingdom 2010 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 SW Stornoway Grey
Hello Matthew_Mills

My guess would be that the overwhelming consensus here will be to act now
and not when the rust has truly taken hold.

I have read and re-read the 'Zagato thread' and it has sent me down the 'what's the best thing to do ?' route.

There is actually much more to the 'quest' to find the current 'best practice' in under body rust prevention than
first appears, just getting underneath and spraying something recommended is not the answer.
There is a lot of good, detailed first hand experience on the 'classic car' forums if your interested.

If in doubt get someone good, to do a good job, but this is a possible DIY job too.

I am going down the DIY route this spring having bought a low mileage (6K) 2010 90 last October
I will post what I do then, I agree Dinitrol is a good starting point but a large factor for the success with Dinitrol,
(in fact any treatment) will be in the preparation, also the key areas to get right is all the places you can't see, inside the chassis, bulkhead etc, (no real surprise when you think about it).

Land Rover could have, in fact, should have done a better job here, but act now and raise the bar. SKIP
https://www.defender2.net/forum/topic83242.html
Post #316079 14th Mar 2014 11:26pm
Matthew_Mills

England 
Can you get Ziebart in the uk?
Post #316098 15th Mar 2014 1:10am
ericvv

Switzerland 2009 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SVX Station Wagon Santorini Black
Matthew_Mills wrote:
So I'm assuming that Dinitrol is an oil wax mix that you spray on, having cleaned everything down... I've seen a couple of threads on how to do so I guess go read gain is the answer...

Matthew, I don't think Dinitrol is an "oil wax" as you call it there, contrary to something like waxoyl often used in the UK. Dinitrol does not have a petroleum product smell like the above.
Now as to Dinitrol application, a lot is to say for leaving this messy job to a professional, but then not just to the first one around the corner. It took me months of searching here in Switzerland, and finally I drove the truck from here all the way to Belgium to get it done by a garage who still are interested to do this job, and who follow the rules by the book.
Dinitrol still today are providing to their professional applicators for specific car models a constantly updated step by step handbook of the entire process to follow for that car model, which Dinitrol product to use on what, how to apply it, which elements to take off of the car, how and what to protect before starting, etc....
A good Dinitrol center will follow these rules by the book, and also have the equipment needed to properly apply the product into all nooks and crannies... For instance, the inside of my chassis legs was sprayed with pure Dinitrol at a pressure of 80bar.... I don't think you can do this at home.
When my car was treated, it was first half taken apart by them, wheels and door cards removed, lights taken off, wheel arch brows removed, ceertain trim removed, all door screws taken out one by one for extra access, etc. etc. And all put back professionally without any damage.
Now, if you find an outfit which still can/want to do that in the UK, I recommend to go there. If not, better to do yourself.
Frankly, at the time, I had to go as far as Antwerp to find someone who was still passionate about this, when you talk with people like that, you immediately will feel that they know what they talk about. More recently, we finally found one outfit here in Switzerland who are even better than the one in Antwerp, not here in Geneva where they charge you the world, but do not really know any more the art of doing this. It is a body/engineering firm at the other end of the country near Basel, where a friend of mine had his new Defender done a year ago, and they are just amazing. Mine will go there this spring for a full retreatment now after first treatment 3 years ago.
Sofar I have not seen anybody in the UK here on this forum talk as highly and confidently about a Dinitrol provider their end, so guess the kind of people we found in Antwerp and here are becoming like needles in a haystack.
All above to say that a real professional can probably still do a very superior job at workable prices. When I have seen how much work they put into it, I thought even the price they charge here in Switzerland is more than worth it.
Good luck, Eric You never actually own a Defender. You merely look after it for the next generation.
http://youtu.be/yVRlSsJwD0o
https://youtu.be/vmPr3oTHndg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_GtzTT9Pdl0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ABqKPz28e6A
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rLZ49Jce_n0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XvAsz_ilQYU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K8tMHiX9lSw
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=dxwjPuHIV7I
https://vimeo.com/201482507
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZSixqL0iyHw
Post #316106 15th Mar 2014 6:34am
Joe the Plumber

2014 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 HT Fuji White
Everyone here says use Dinitrol (at least no one suggested Waxoyl), but I assume none of them have read the July 2013 report by Dr Phil Green from the University of Hertfordshire School of Engineering and Technology called "Assessment of Wax Coatings Using a Salt Spray Cyclic Corrosion Test".

In this, six well known corrosion protection products were each put, at the same film thickness, onto three identical bare steel plates, along with one steel plate left bare, and subjected to wet salt spray testing in a controlled environment. After the time was up, the products were cleaned off and the amount of corrosion assessed.

The results, after 2084 hours of testing in a ridiculously harsh environment, put Dinitrol 3125HS in 4th place, with Bilt Hamber's Dynax S50 a comprehensive 1st. There was the barest trace of rust on the very edges of the plates coated with it, whereas the Dinitrol had around 75-80% corrosion under it. Waxoyl was 98-100% rust incidentally.

The test was done at the request of Bilt Hamber, but I can find no hint of any bias towards them in the report. It's all backed up with multiple photographs of the results.

It's your vehicle, and your money, but if you want the best corrosion protection you can get for it, Bilt Hamber is the firm to use, and they're British too:

www.bilthamber.com

If you contact them, they will probably let you have a copy of the report. It's a real eye opener.

It's easy to do it yourself with their big high pressure aerosol cans as they come with 2' tubes with diffusers on the ends to get into all the awkward areas. Peter Hamber suggested to me to use Dynax S50 inside the 110's box sections, and Dynax UB on the exposed surfaces. I'm going to use the UC to protect the less exposed mechanical assemblies too.

Having previously tried various alternatives, I've used BH stuff on my vehicles for eight years now, and wouldn't entertain anything else. And no, I'm just a customer, not an employee (although I ought to be on commission!)

I hope this is of interest.
Post #316109 15th Mar 2014 7:38am
Joe the Plumber

2014 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 HT Fuji White
As an additional thought, I'm in the process of enquiring whether Lokari make wheel arch liners for the later Defenders. They do them for models to 1989:

http://www.lokari.de/epages/62716287.sf/en...-0879-0880

And it may be these will also fit the newer ones. I had a front pair from them for my old Opel Manta which were astonishingly good.

Keeping the cack out of the nooks and crannies in the first place must be a very good idea.

I'll report back once I know more.
Post #316112 15th Mar 2014 8:03am
df1

I've tried a few methods and found waxoyl a waste of money.

The best solution I've found so far (although not used bilthambef ) is 2 coats of Lowe rust primer, applied 24 hours apart then another 24 hours later a coating of dinitrol.

I applied the rust primer by brush to any surface rust.

Granted this is only visible tests, I don't have any better solution than spraying the dinitrol inside the chassis.

I think everyone has there own preferred method.
Post #316119 15th Mar 2014 8:25am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 3 123>