↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > Why do Britpart Do This
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
Print this entire topic · 
equipe59

United Kingdom 2003 Defender 90 Td5 CSW Stornoway Grey
Funnily enough, I had a yellow Britpart shock bush do the same thing - crumbled as it was being installed.

I've used some Britpart stuff and it's been fine - seats for the Series 2, various trim bits for the 90, other 'non-critical' bits, but fitted some Britpart lands, bearings and seals to the S2 axle and it leaked like GCHQ Shocked I then replaced them with genuine LandRover parts and it was sealed up like a duck's a&$e Laughing so I guess it depends on what the application is as to whether I'd use them!
Post #272389 8th Oct 2013 8:22pm
DOOFER

Another victim of the crumbling damper bush here
Post #273000 11th Oct 2013 8:00pm
Merlin

United Kingdom 
I bought a replacement horn from *hi*part. Only works sometimes. If I go to take it off it decides to work. This isn't the first time I've had problems with S**tpart, but they think we will tolerate this level of quality. I'll never, ever buy Britpart again, never. I can't understand why they believe that they can sustain a business based on this mind-set of inferiority of product.

You can't sustain a business based on one-time purchases. You need repeat sales. They don’t' seem to understand that.

Merlin
Post #273176 12th Oct 2013 6:39pm
JWL

England 2002 Defender 110 Td5 SW Coniston Green
I must admit they do sell some good seat covers, the set on my front seats are 6 years old, looking tired now but still fit for purpose. It is a pain they don't come with headrest covers to match but I made some out of the spare material from the not needed centre seat cover. Can't think of anything else Rolling Eyes
Post #273202 12th Oct 2013 8:29pm
m_plewes

United Kingdom 
Britpart don't give their retailers a RRP for their products it's up to them to decide on what mark up they want to offer. The bigger companies can, due to volume afford to have a much lower margin than smaller companies can. Putting a Britpart part number into google will give you a range of prices. Quality wise they are better than they used to be, but still patchy. Was discussing it with the Britpart area rep last week when I pointed out I'm on my 3rd fuel sender in 6 months. Compare a britpart cubby box side by side with an exmoor trim one and guess which is better finished though.
Post #273775 14th Oct 2013 7:48pm
lonewolf

United Kingdom 2010 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 CSW Zambezi Silver
I emailed the head honcho regarding the lack of prices and he said that as they distribute to dealers/sellers not only in the UK but all over the world they could not list prices for the varying currencies this would involve.
That's why they then forward your prospective order onto your nearest Britpart outlet. Of course then you're at the mercy of your local distibutors price levels. You can check in mags and the net and see what others are charging too, to see if you're being ripped off.
Post #276563 25th Oct 2013 12:00pm
leeds

United Kingdom 
Quote:

Of course then you're at the mercy of your local distibutors price levels. You can check in mags and the net and see what others are charging too, to see if you're being ripped off.

Just because your local distributor charges more then what you can see in magazines or the internet does NOT mean you are being ripped off!

We do not deal with Britpart and have no idea about their price structure. However the chances are that they charge prices depending on volume of goods ordered etc etc. So if your local distributor is more expensive then what you can find on the internet it does not mean you are being ripped off! It could mean that the local guy is just being charged a higher price in the first place.

We will not go into the argument of different types of companies having different costs, due to either having a physical shop and stock, to internet base who gets parts into order etc. Different level of advice/service etc.

Brendan
Post #276567 25th Oct 2013 12:24pm
lonewolf

United Kingdom 2010 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 CSW Zambezi Silver
Leeds; In hindsight perhaps 'ripped off' was an unfortunate choice of words. I prefer to stick with someone local with a face and who talks to you who also gives good service and advice and don't always go for X, Y or Z because they're £1 cheaper. Then again I've seen the same items vary greatly in price, sometimes the 'big names' with the flashy mag adverts are the biggest culprits. My experience, my opinion.
Post #276605 25th Oct 2013 3:46pm
m_plewes

United Kingdom 
the problem is a few of the big mail order parts company's are now running at such low margins that smaller stockist's can't compete. I have seen some parts being sold with less than 5% margin.
Post #276909 26th Oct 2013 2:39pm
sc70

Wales 2015 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 CSW Santorini Black
Sorry but have to agree about Britparts quality or lack off, would never use again utter rubbish and cost twice as much in the long run www.Equi-Trek-Tregaron.co.uk

Main Dealers for Equi-Trek and Brian James Trailers
Post #276935 26th Oct 2013 4:04pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12