↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Puma (Tdci) > Starting/ECU problem
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
Michael S

United Kingdom 2009 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Tonga Green
Starting/ECU problem
I have a 2009 TDCi 110 XS utility wagon which replaced a near faultless 2003 110 Td5 County double cab and it is a huge leap forward in almost every respect.

Unfortunately I have a recurring problem where the engine drives normally with no warning lights; get to destination, park, get back in and try to start but the temperature gauge goes to maximum deflection (although not hot) and the engine turns over but won't fire. Had LR assist (the AA) out once, trucked to dealer who only reported a poor connection on the ECU plug. I have since discovered on recurrence of this problem that pulling the 30amp ECU fuse in the fuse box under the drivers seat sorts (resets?) the problem. I haven't yet found a convenient time not sort it myself. The problem more often manifests itself after a long run but not necessarily. It may not happen for a week and then three times in the same day.

Anyone else experienced the same problem and know the remedy?

Michael
Post #21953 12th Jan 2010 10:25pm
mse

United Kingdom 2016 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Scotia Grey
I heard of one other person having a similar problem - but for them it would shoot to hot whilst driving and power down.

There was some talk of the fault being with the radiator and mud - with success being seen after completely removing it and cleaning it out...i dont persoanly dont know if i subscribe to it but hey Mike
Post #21955 12th Jan 2010 10:41pm
Grockle

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Tonga Green
it's def an ecu glitch rather than a murky rad issue 2.4 90 XS
1968 1/32 scale Britains 109 Pick up.
Post #21971 13th Jan 2010 9:26am
dgardel

Italy 
SSM42916

Models
LD - Defender

Title Defender non start condition 2008my onwards
Last Modified 25-NOV-2009 12:44

Category Electrical

Symptom 203000 Basic Electrical
Content

Issue:
Vehicle is in a not start condition and appears to be Immobilised.

Cause:
Several potential causes for this symptom, Land Rover request you follow the action below.

Action:
Use the attached flow chart when diagnosing a non start condition. It would be appreciated if you could respond via EPQR giving details and a reference to the point in the diagnostic flow diagram the non start issue was resolved, or if a non start condition cannot be resolved, in which case it may be necessary to arrange an Engineering visit to view the vehicle.

or

SSM37318 (I can see it only in italian no in english on landrovertechinfo.com)
Models LD - Defender
Title Nessun avviamento con l'indicatore temperatura in rosso. Puma 2.4L
Last Modified 11-FEB-2008 09:42
Category Sistema elettrico
Symptom 203000 Sistema elettrico di base
Content
Disadvantage: The vehicle does not set off and l' pointer temperature is in the red zone. Some communication with the PCM could moreover not sussistere. Cause: The fuse P110 C0602 could be burnt. The fuse is located under skillful the front seat. It is prayed to consult the attached document for l' location. Participation: To control the fuse and to replace it according to necessity. Once that it has been characterized the root cause, it is prayed to send a EPQR.(ALTAVISTA TRASLATION NB!!!)

C0602  Discovery 5 td6 HSE Stornoway Gray Outback Engineering Limited Edition

IID Pro MV License
Post #21982 13th Jan 2010 1:25pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
alantd

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Tonga Green
Interesting - I can't find that last one on the GTR - what section is it in? One that started out as a 2.4 TDCi 110 XS
+ New Defender 110 First Edition
Post #22034 13th Jan 2010 10:00pm
Eduardo

Chile 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SW Stornoway Grey
Hi there

I detect this difference between the SSMs published in English and in other languages.
In fact the one that you refers appears only in Italian language (not english, not spanish). Some time ago appeared one in Spanish and Italian but not in English.

Why?, I dont know.

Cheers Eduardo

MY 2007 110 SW PUMA 2.4: Big Fog of 64'
MY 1994 Jayco 1207 Folding camper: "El Tremendo"

Click image to enlarge
Post #22040 13th Jan 2010 10:20pm
mse

United Kingdom 2016 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Scotia Grey
Different markets - different maps, recalls, actions, customer complaints, environments.

Just like the heated breathers for the russian zone (although some of the temperatures over the last week!) Mike
Post #22056 13th Jan 2010 11:16pm
Michael S

Oh well I should be encouraged for the Defender that this is an unusual problem, but I am a little worried that this maybe the sort of irritating problem that doesn't go away by itself and will be hard to rectify. Guess I'll have to keep driving it to the dealers yard until it spits its dummy out there.

Michael
Post #22127 14th Jan 2010 9:53pm
Michael S

Spoke to dealer today who has hopefully found the root of the problem - too much silicone injected into the back of the plug that goes onto the ECU covering some of the pins causing occasional poor connection. Still seems a little odd the problem only manifests upon a restart but here's hoping.

Michael
Post #23128 28th Jan 2010 11:00pm
alantd

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Tonga Green
Michael S wrote:
Spoke to dealer today who has hopefully found the root of the problem - too much silicone injected into the back of the plug that goes onto the ECU covering some of the pins causing occasional poor connection. Still seems a little odd the problem only manifests upon a restart but here's hoping.

Michael

Wow! Not heard that one before. Lets hope they've resolved it. One that started out as a 2.4 TDCi 110 XS
+ New Defender 110 First Edition
Post #23143 29th Jan 2010 12:42am
Michael S

Sorry to report the problem is still occurring - I can work round it by pulling the 30 amp ECU fuse under the seat but it's not satisfactory. Dealer would like it returned by LR assist (largely so they don't have to provide me with a car!) but I'm still waiting for a convenient moment for the fault to occur and call assist. It is of course like all intermittent problems and won't demonstrate itself on demand! It's made even more inconvenient by the fact it occurs when you go to start the vehicle when I need to get somewhere.

Michael
Post #23406 1st Feb 2010 9:20pm
dullbird

Australia 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SW Tonga Green
Michael can you describe your symptoms?

I had a starting issue on my defender this morning

Key fobs stopped working (no batteries were not flat) turn the key the starter would crank the engine would almost fire then stop.....and the horn would sound twice..

turn the key again the starter would crank but for only half the tie and then stop

turn the key again just dash lights......leave it for a minute or two and or remove the neg on the battrey for a min and start the whole process again.

I had mine flat bedded to the dealer as we tried with NRMA (AA) to get the car going for 40mins...and when it got there they fired the bloody thing off and drove it off the truck Evil or Very Mad
they check for fault codes and nothing was wrong... YOU KNOW REHAB IS FOR QUITTERS!!!!
Post #24369 15th Feb 2010 12:03pm
jammyk

2008 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Santorini Black
Start fails from cold - every two days
Something similar with my 08 110 XS , every two days it has to be jump started - despite the battery being 'good'. It will be on its way back to the dealers tonight for a week ong stay to see if they can

a: replicate the problem
b: fix it

Annoyingly, when its been tested by LR assist, and the dealers, there is no earth leak shown.

Also, when 'jump starting' the process is as follows:

scenario 1: attached leads to donor, leave for 5 mins. nothing.
scenario 2: Attach leads to donor, rev immediately, then start is immediate.

Seems like the 'power surge' resets something... but then thats a layman describing symptoms without knowing what the fault is.

Thoughts? Has this been seen elsewehere? ignorance is bliss...
Post #24375 15th Feb 2010 3:52pm
munsterlandy

Ireland 2008 Defender 130 Puma 2.4 HCPU Santorini Black
alarm immobiliser issue?
hi guys. Similar to dullbird mine turns then fires then stops, horn sounds etc. Confused

What i do is lock and unlock the vehicle 3 times and seems to clear issue. however fob never stopped working on mine. didn't try manual lock and open so not sure if any help.
Rolling Eyes
Post #24381 15th Feb 2010 6:07pm
sasha2001

Russia 2008 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 CSW Tonga Green
Re: Starting/ECU problem
Michael S wrote:
I have a 2009 TDCi 110 XS utility wagon which replaced a near faultless 2003 110 Td5 County double cab and it is a huge leap forward in almost every respect.

Unfortunately I have a recurring problem where the engine drives normally with no warning lights; get to destination, park, get back in and try to start but the temperature gauge goes to maximum deflection (although not hot) and the engine turns over but won't fire. Had LR assist (the AA) out once, trucked to dealer who only reported a poor connection on the ECU plug. I have since discovered on recurrence of this problem that pulling the 30amp ECU fuse in the fuse box under the drivers seat sorts (resets?) the problem. I haven't yet found a convenient time not sort it myself. The problem more often manifests itself after a long run but not necessarily. It may not happen for a week and then three times in the same day.

Anyone else experienced the same problem and know the remedy?

Michael

may not be related but I has the same thing on 7 year old TD5, go to start, turned over but would no fire up, noticed tamperature zone in red but not hot, then later would start and then run rough like it was missing
the main stealers said computer stuffed!!!! then I found a thread:
http://forum.landrovernet.com/showthread.p...ost1171151

just by running and extra earth wire from the ECU to a different clean chasssi point it went away!!! and cleaned the other earth connection
Post #24392 15th Feb 2010 8:11pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>