Home > Puma (Tdci) > aircon issue
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
rossy

Ireland 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 CSW Stornoway Grey
aircon issue
I may be putting 2 and 2 together here and making 16 but here goes

Recently I have noticed that the insulation behind the passenger side dash is a bit wet sometimes and dripping into the passenger footwell. Now that could be a bit of water ingress (last year I sealed the windscreen and the foam gap twixt screen frame and bulkhead but did a rough job on it)

I have also checked the two drain teats from the heater air intake and they're clear. The aircon drain teat above the gearbox is also open and clear but its also bone dry

Winter and Summer the aircon is on constantly. From what I've read it seems the aircon should be engaged continuously in order to work properly and last longer. But recently its stopped the reassuring constant drip over the gearbox.

The only reason my suspicion antennae are on full blast is that the dealer recently removed the dash in order to change the wiper wheelboxes under warranty and I'm wondering if they have disturbed/disconnected/pinched something in the process that might have affected the A/C drain mechanism.

Also in the last few weeks I have only done very short drives of about 2-5 miles and this prompts me to ask if the A/C only starts discharging water if its been on for a while or if its on cool mode rather than heat. I need to revisit the dealer for a couple of other things soon so I don't want to be unnecessarily accusational so I was wondering how long the A/c needs to be on before it starts dripping and if it drips more on cooling mode than when the heater is engaged. Any experts who can give me a steer on this ? Thanks
Post #219313 15th Mar 2013 6:29pm
WelshGas

Wales 2010 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Santorini Black
As far as i understand the A/C, when on cooling, cools the air coming in which causes the water vapour held by the warm air to condense out, hence the water coming from the A/C drain by the gearbox. If the air temp: is below a certain value, about 10C it is unable to function, something to do with the temp: differential between the A/C compressed refrigerant and the intake air.
During winter you will tend to be heating the air thus the heated air will have the capacity to retain more water vapour, the exact opposite to summer when you are cooling the air, thus reducing it's capacity to retain water vapour.

http://www.airconcars.com/html/how_it_works.html Thumbs Up LANDYWATCH

Neighbourhood Watch for Land Rover Owners

http://www.landywatch.co.uk/smf2/index.php
Post #219432 15th Mar 2013 11:31pm
rossy

Ireland 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 CSW Stornoway Grey
diolch yn fawr Welsh Gas. That sounds logical Thumbs Up
Post #219463 16th Mar 2013 8:41am
ZeDefender

Germany 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SW Baltic Blue
That was my (sound) logic last year, then it turned out to be the foam seal Rolling Eyes

Hostage tape over the foam seal for a few days (ugly but effective) proved rain was being driven upwards through the seal at motorway speeds.

Probably aircon though Thumbs Up Tell someone you love them today because life is short.
But shout it at them in German because life is also terrifying and confusing...
Post #219474 16th Mar 2013 9:47am
dgardel

Italy 
Check the rubber water drain draining. could be clogged.

Not confu to check, see the pic......

Click image to enlarge

Admin note: this post has had its images recovered from a money grabbing photo hosting site and reinstated Mr. Green  Discovery 5 td6 HSE Stornoway Gray Outback Engineering Limited Edition

IID Pro MV License
Post #219507 16th Mar 2013 12:25pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Post Reply
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1