↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > Mantec internal window guards and other stuff
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Thor

United Kingdom 2002 Defender 110 Td5 CSW Bonatti Grey
Mantec internal window guards and other stuff
When I bought my 110 TD5 it already had the internal window guards in fitted all around the boot area. I have since had to remove the one on the drivers side due to the rattling driving me insane. Basically the screws had come loose at the top, and from what I can see it's only screwed into the plastic trim around the window, nothing more substansive. The other is held in place the same, but the screws are holding firm in the plastic for now.

Does this fitting seem right, as it doesn't to me? Surely as a security feature they should screw into something stronger. I have Emailed mantec but had no reply. I could just lock tight the screws into the plastic but I do want them to actually add some extra security.

Any one out there fitted a set and can offer up a better solution than lock tight?

Also, while I'm here what do you guys do regarding holes in the floor? Being an Ex G4 event 110 (though doesn't look it anymore) there was storage etc bolted in to the boot that wasn't there what I bought it so there are holes in the raised box area in the back. Just whack a nut and bolt in there for now, as I do intend at some point to but some sort of storage in? I also have holes in the drivers and passengers floor for 'gromets' that the carpet clicks to, I've removed the carpet and am just going with the sound deadening and rubber floor mats. So those holes need sorting as well!

I've not really used the 110 much this year as moved into a new house and have had to be getting on with all that comes with that. Now the ranch is almost at an acceptable level I plan to get out and use the 110 little more next year, especially if santa brings me the snorkel, wading blanket thing and rock and tree sliders that I asked for! Having already removed and cleaned my rad once as it was pretty much completely blocked, the wading blanket is a must for me!!

I've taken the side steps off in anticipation and will be having a tidy up and poss repaint before going in the fore sale section.

Thanks in advance, hoping to meet up on an outing next year once things quieten down for me!

Admin note: this post has had its images recovered from a money grabbing photo hosting site and reinstated Mr. Green  Strong people are harder to kill and generally more useful!
Post #193986 16th Dec 2012 12:27pm
GREENI

United Kingdom 
I put lots of butyl tape on my frames and stuck the guards to it. No hole drilling, less likely to be knocked through and more importantly, no rattles.
Post #193987 16th Dec 2012 12:30pm
LandRoverAnorak

United Kingdom 
Surely they're supposed to be fixed through the plastic trim to the steel rails underneath? Darren

110 USW BUILD THREAD - EXPEDITION TRAILER - 200tdi 90 BUILD THREAD - SANKEY TRAILER - IG@landroveranorak

"You came in that thing? You're braver than I thought!" - Princess Leia
Post #193997 16th Dec 2012 1:53pm
TJ101

Isle Of Man 2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Montalcino Red
Don't use the Mantec one, but the MSS versions,,

These you remove the side trim panels, and fix the guardes over the window apertures etc, and are bolted to the tub and roof brackets,, yours being screwed to the panels can not be correct !!

Interested in why you think it was a ex G4 Event vehicle ?? As far as i recall, all Events 110 were in Tangiers Orange !!

If you fancy a weekend trip out see This Topic California F1, 75th 110 "Kermit", 50th Ann V8, 90 V8 Hybrid, 55 Series 1

Main Brian James Trailer Dealer for South West UK
Post #194081 16th Dec 2012 7:10pm
Thor

TJ101 - It all ready has the mantec ones so just need to find how to fit them properly, I feel a trip to Frogisland (Not far from my gym) coming up to see if they have a set of instruction laying around as they must've fitted some in the past.

I know it's a G4 Event one as I have had the VRM checked with the G4 owners club. The inside the engine bay is all Tangiers, as are some of the floor panels and in a couple of spots on the body work it's showing through. It was sprayed about 6 years ago apparently by the previous owner who also had a larger intercooler, remapped ECU, stainless exhaust, GKM over drive and some other bits and pieces fitted. There will be a a further respray in the future, I'm just not sure I want an Orange truck though!!

LRA - Thats what I'm thinking but with the screws I have there's no obvious way of doing it. More research req'd!

Greeni - Hmm, sounds good, but I will exhaust all avenues of the self tappers going into some metal somewhere. Strong people are harder to kill and generally more useful!
Post #194104 16th Dec 2012 8:20pm
Michael Brindley

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Firenze Red
Mantec ones on mine have large steel plates behind trim which have tapped holes in them.The idea ia that you glue the plates to the trim then you can unscrew guards to clean windows without removing trim.Mantec do not supply glue but recommend double sided tape.Fairly sure mantec make for genuine landrover parts so install instructions should be on Topix.
Post #194126 16th Dec 2012 9:24pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
bilko

1986 Defender 90 300 Tdi HT Galway Green
Ok! Don't have any instructions to hand but have just check in the Haynes land rover defender modifying manual. ..page 97.
It shows that there should be a strip of metal on the inside of the window along the top of the trim. There are supposed to be captive nuts on the metal strip. Maybe the threads may be stripped.

Please note it suggest using double sided tape to hold the strip in place to aid in fitting the window guard when window trim is replaced.

Neil.
Post #194162 16th Dec 2012 10:19pm
bilko

1986 Defender 90 300 Tdi HT Galway Green
Dam! Mike beat me to the reply. Rolling with laughter
Post #194163 16th Dec 2012 10:20pm
TJ101

Isle Of Man 2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Montalcino Red
Thor wrote:
TJ101 - It all ready has the mantec ones so just need to find how to fit them properly, ey must've fitted some in the past..

Sorry, should have worded that better
I have not got Mantec ones, but the MSS versions,, which are properly bolted to the body side, not stuck to plastic trims Shocked

Big Cry Repaint it the proper color,,, Orange as it should be, and keep her provenance California F1, 75th 110 "Kermit", 50th Ann V8, 90 V8 Hybrid, 55 Series 1

Main Brian James Trailer Dealer for South West UK
Post #194179 16th Dec 2012 10:52pm
Thor

Bilko, Michael -Thanks both, no sign of metal behind the plastic trim so a job for the Christmas break if I can find a decent piece laying around. Hopefully one long enough to run the full length of the window guard rather than a large washer/plate type thing.

TJ - The thing is I'm just not sure I want an orange truck staring at me every time I look out the kitchen window. Don't get me wrong green laning etc it'd be cool, it's just the rest of the time plus the effort and money of getting all the other original bits like winch and stickers etc!! (I prefer my Hanibal roof rack any way, especially once it's powder coated and got a couple lights on the front and rear.)

A respray won't be for some time yet, 4-5 years is realistic. If I had any thoughts/needs to sell it then I would do it orange, to keep its heritage and give it the potential to be turned back into a G4, but it's likely that the truck is going to be a keeper. As a keeper I'll go for a replay in a colour I want (probably stick to the grey and black theme). I'd defo keep the engine bay etc bright orange to show its heritage and maybe a discrete sticker some where, but that would be all. Strong people are harder to kill and generally more useful!
Post #194665 18th Dec 2012 5:22pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1