↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Puma (Tdci) > Taking a leak...
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
custom90

United Kingdom 
Taking a leak...
That got your attention Laughing Today I had a quick look underneath my 90 as you do Whistle And noticed a leak and by that I mean a very slow dripping leak not just a little oily patch that's pretty much dry. Sorry for the poor quality picture but here it is:

Click image to enlarge

As you can see it stems from where the prop goes into the diff so I am assuming that a seal has gone? Funniest thing is it was only serviced a couple of weeks ago and no leak before that Confused NEVER SURRENDER! ⛽️🛢️👨‍🔧🧰⚙️ RED, WHITE & BOOST! 🇬🇧
Post #173582 6th Oct 2012 5:28pm
willy eckerslike

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 HCPU Keswick Green
Happens on some quite often, my 110 has had two in 38k Original Member Pie n Pea Club.
110 HCPU Tipper
Post #173583 6th Oct 2012 5:29pm
Defender-Stu

United Kingdom 
Had this on my TD5 D2 and my mate Steve hill sorted it within 10 mins with a new seal give him a call mate should not be expencive Thumbs Up and it happens and sorry in advance if I seem a little short but hope that was not implying Steve had something to do with it? Confused
Post #173587 6th Oct 2012 5:38pm
custom90

United Kingdom 
Willy - Typical it is only just sorted out my EGR valve issue and then this Rolling Eyes

Stu - How much do you reckon roughly? Thumbs Up

Anyone know the name / part number of the seal at all? From what I read up earlier this afternoon I thought's it was known as the Pinion Seal but I'm no expert Confused Confused NEVER SURRENDER! ⛽️🛢️👨‍🔧🧰⚙️ RED, WHITE & BOOST! 🇬🇧
Post #173589 6th Oct 2012 5:45pm
custom90

United Kingdom 
Stu - Don't worry either way I'm not implying anyone did anything it's probably just where things have been moved around during service and new fluids Thumbs Up I just thought it is something that need's to be sorted out all the same or all the oil will drain Shocked NEVER SURRENDER! ⛽️🛢️👨‍🔧🧰⚙️ RED, WHITE & BOOST! 🇬🇧
Post #173591 6th Oct 2012 5:48pm
Defender-Stu

United Kingdom 
The seal comes out with out the loss of the oil as the oil comes out while driving and the seal is about a tenner maybe if that and Steve would prob only charge 40 all in bud Smile

Sorry mate did not mean to be forward its just Steve is a good friend and is the best land rover skilled person I know and he has so much business and he is not like some people I know that mess cars up so people have go back and spend more money Thumbs Up

Try his number now as he some times works late Smile
Post #173594 6th Oct 2012 5:55pm
custom90

United Kingdom 
Ahh, good news then Stu Thumbs Up I won't right now but probably Monday. Don't get me wrong as I said it's probably due to the service just because things get moved a bit (obvious really) so then if the seal is toward the end of it's life it will of course go. I understand what your saying and I'm pointing no fingers. I think from what I can remember he said when I picked it up that there was a "slight leak" at the time but to be honest with you I can't quite remember now. Since of course I've been driving it so has probably become a bit more of a leak since. The actual service I had done I'm very pleased with running great and smooth as anything now and since I fitted my own new EGR and sorted that out it's been absolutely perfect. NEVER SURRENDER! ⛽️🛢️👨‍🔧🧰⚙️ RED, WHITE & BOOST! 🇬🇧
Post #173597 6th Oct 2012 6:10pm
Defender-Stu

United Kingdom 
The movement was prob to do with dragging the tree out and put a little more strain then normal, my td5 rear and front seal went and by the time I found the leak I did 3 play days and 1000 miles and when me and Steve got her on the ramps it was hanging out lol, spend 5 hours on other leaks and issues and then drove 45 mins home, went to put my drivers window up and pop the window reg gave up lol, so that week I gave Steve my spare key to come get it as I thought I had bought a sh** box and he went through it with a tooth Combe lol and then had it back all done then tuned it and drove it hard and was smoother then before due to Steve Thumbs Up
Post #173604 6th Oct 2012 6:44pm
custom90

United Kingdom 
Stu Laughing The tree is not all I've pulled out recently so that probably explains it but at least it gives all the components a bit of proper use so keep everything going well. Pulled out a loaded AA van from mud and a car a couple of weeks back so your probably right. (not at the same time) Other than this leak it's sweet as a nut right now running and driving wise Smile The steering is a lot better too than it was even though there was nothing wrong anyway it seems lighter and smoother. NEVER SURRENDER! ⛽️🛢️👨‍🔧🧰⚙️ RED, WHITE & BOOST! 🇬🇧
Post #173660 6th Oct 2012 9:48pm
Lou Sparts

United Kingdom 2005 Defender 90 Td5 XS CSW Zambezi Silver
Custom 90 steve it may be worth checking your axle breather is not blocked ! if it is as your diff heats up and the oil/air expands it will have to vent somewhere and the seal is the easiest place to release pressure.I changed a pinion seal twice before i worked it out. 2005 Td5 90 XS

Steve
Post #173662 6th Oct 2012 10:03pm
custom90

United Kingdom 
That's true I must do that. Thumbs Up How easy / difficult is the breather to remove axle end? NEVER SURRENDER! ⛽️🛢️👨‍🔧🧰⚙️ RED, WHITE & BOOST! 🇬🇧
Post #173664 6th Oct 2012 10:07pm
Lou Sparts

Real easy it is threaded and just undoes in the normal manner.The tube was blocked on mine (rear) with road crud.Its certainly easier than changing the seal ! 2005 Td5 90 XS

Steve
Post #173665 6th Oct 2012 10:12pm
Defender-Stu

United Kingdom 
Forgot about that bit lol, we'll you were talking about the breather kit from D44 lol, might a good little investment Thumbs Up but if the seal has started to leak then replace it anyways mate as it won't stop 100% Confused
Post #173666 6th Oct 2012 10:20pm
Lou Sparts

Mine stopped leaking as soon as i cleared out the blockage but i,d already changed the seal twice by then ! 2005 Td5 90 XS

Steve
Post #173667 6th Oct 2012 10:27pm
custom90

United Kingdom 
Either way checking the breather is a good logical place to start all the same. It might or might not be blocked. If not it'll be the seal. If it is i'll clear the breather out and I'll clean the leak up and see what happens. If it re-appears after that then the seal needs doing too. Thanks for the pointers chaps especially the breather. never though of that myself. NEVER SURRENDER! ⛽️🛢️👨‍🔧🧰⚙️ RED, WHITE & BOOST! 🇬🇧
Post #173669 6th Oct 2012 10:45pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>