↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Wheels & Tyres > What Offset?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
me@td5.org

2000 Defender 90 Td5 HT Epsom Green
What Offset?
After deciding i'd like to stick with 16" wheels I am concidering getting some Blindo wheels.

They are available in 2 offsets ET15 and ET25.

I'll be running 265/75R16 tyres and don't want to exceed the arch width.

What are the relative benifits of each?

I've gone with Blindo rather than Dakars based purely on the fact that Silverline are less than a mile from my house! Would anyone recommend the Dakars over the Blindo? If so why?
Post #172320 1st Oct 2012 8:54am
K9F

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Stornoway Grey
Re: What Offset?
me@td5.org wrote:
What are the relative benifits of each?

I have no experience of the Blindo/Dakar wheel scenario but the difference between a 15 or 25 offset will be purely stance/looks of the vehicle. It's really down to personal choice. To give yourself more future tyre options and stay within the the arches go for 15. With the 25 I doubt they will protrude but your truck sides will get covered in muck in the wet. You could always move the mudflaps out accordingly or consider the Entreq extension brackets if need be.
I have 40mm offset, the 'look' for me is exactly what I hoped to achieve, yes they do protrude (not an issue on the last two MOTs) but I did have to get the extensions for the front.

Hope this helps. If you go through life with your head in the sand....all people will see is an ar5e!!

Treat every day as if it is your last....one day you will be right!!
Post #172321 1st Oct 2012 9:04am
Glynparry25

Wales 2009 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS DCPU Tonga Green
The Blindo wheels will be better Thumbs Up

As for offst..... Boost alloys have an offset of ET33

so....

The ET 25s will be like having 8mm spacers on and the ET15s will be like having 18mm spacers.

You will not have any issues with it protruding the arches with either. The 25s will be like standard wheels and the 15s will make the truck look a little wider stance. The 25s might cause you to need to adjust your steering stops a little though which will reduce your turning circle.

I am gunning ET05 with 285s and they sit just inside the arches.

I know Mick has Blindos on his 130.... might be an idea to check his gallery and ask what offset he has for an idea.

Glyn Dog Sheep
Post #172322 1st Oct 2012 9:07am
Glynparry25

Mal,

I think you are confusing it.....

LR offset is +33

To make the wires stick out more you have to lower the offset.

I am guessing you will have a offset of -7?

Glyn Dog Sheep
Post #172327 1st Oct 2012 9:14am
K9F

Glyn I was going to answer you above. A positive offset of 25 stick out more than a positive offset of 15 surely? See the link below but maybe I'm reading it wrong.....

What has the LR offset got to do with anything? No wheel on the hub = no offset.

If the hub position moves toward the car or the 'hub side' according to the diagram i.e where the blue section is, the offset will be negative.(This is not common) However if the hub moves in the direction of the outer rim or the road side according to the diagram i.e where the red section is, the offset will be positive. It is far more likeley that the offset will be positive and for most road cars between 15 and 50.

Mine are 40mm. Thumbs Up

http://www.raceandroad.com/technical-help/alloy-wheel-offset.html If you go through life with your head in the sand....all people will see is an ar5e!!

Post #172328 1st Oct 2012 9:17am
twopoint6khz

United Kingdom 2005 Defender 110 Td5 CSW Java Black
It's not helpful to talk about it in terms of a 'lower' offset since it can be positive, negative or zero. Which is 'lower'?

As offset becomes less positive, past zero and more negative, the wheels stick out further as your diagram shows. Thus wheels with an offset of +15 stick out more than those with a +25 offset.

Most sticky-out offset I've ever seen on normal Defender wheels is zero, never seen a negative one.

Last edited by twopoint6khz on 1st Oct 2012 9:26am. Edited 1 time in total
Post #172330 1st Oct 2012 9:22am
K9F

All becomes clear....as mud.....

Still bl00dy confusing.....

"If the hub position moves toward the car or the 'hub side' the offset will be negative.
However if the hub moves in the direction of the outer rim or the road side the offset will be positive."

The second statement as I read it means the further out you go the higher the positive offset surely.

Still lost I'm afraid! Shocked Embarassed

Bow down If you go through life with your head in the sand....all people will see is an ar5e!!

Post #172331 1st Oct 2012 9:25am
Glynparry25

Mal, is it just wheels you have fitted or did you also fit spacers?

twopoint6khz wrote:
It's not helpful to talk about it in terms of a 'lower' offset since it can be positive, negative or zero. Which is 'lower'?

As offset becomes less positive, past zero and more negative, the wheels stick out further as your diagram shows. Thus wheels with an offset of +15 stick out more than those with a +25 offset.

Most sticky-out offset I've ever seen on normal Defender wheels is zero, never seen a negative one.

I was taking about it in terms of Land Rovers. As you mention- in general wheel companies don't sell anything under 0 offset for LR.

Glyn Dog Sheep
Post #172333 1st Oct 2012 9:36am
me@td5.org

Thanks all, I have Freestyles at the moment so understanding the change in offset is useful. I had been looking at 30mm spacers so ET15 will move the wheels out less.

I think that is what I will go for.
Post #172335 1st Oct 2012 9:37am
Glynparry25

K9F wrote:
All becomes clear....as mud.....

Still bl00dy confusing.....

"If the hub position moves toward the car or the 'hub side' the offset will be negative.
However if the hub moves in the direction of the outer rim or the road side the offset will be positive."

The second statement as I read it means the further out you go the higher the positive offset surely.

Still lost I'm afraid! Shocked Embarassed

Bow down

Yes..... So as the vehicle hub stays still..... so it is the rim that either moves out or in....... so... 'if the wheel hub moves out' (Greater possitive offset) when you push it up against the vehicles hub the rim has moved further into the vehicle hence a narrower track/ stance.

It really is a pretty confusing way of doing it all Rolling with laughter I remember spoending ages looking at diagrams and descriptions to work it out properly

I think this picture describes it MUCH better:

Click image to enlarge

Glyn Dog Sheep

Last edited by Glynparry25 on 1st Oct 2012 9:48am. Edited 2 times in total
Post #172338 1st Oct 2012 9:41am
Glynparry25

me@td5.org wrote:
Thanks all, I have Freestyles at the moment so understanding the change in offset is useful. I had been looking at 30mm spacers so ET15 will move the wheels out less.

I think that is what I will go for.

Yes, 15 should be a good offset. It will be the equivalent of fitting 18mm spacers to your freestyles.....I think 30mm spacers a just a tad too much.

Glyn Dog Sheep
Post #172340 1st Oct 2012 9:44am
K9F

So sorry me@td5.org in my book the 15's are the best choice. I am getting more confused with each post but glad you are happy. Bow down

Glyn....NO spacers 10" wide rims......Using the LR offset as a 'comparison' and a 'bench mark' I can understand but each wheel obviously has it's own offset not one that you automatically have to subtract the LR one from! I'm totally f****d now......

Rolling with laughter

Back to the diagrams for me then... Embarassed Need to figure this one out..... Thumbs Up If you go through life with your head in the sand....all people will see is an ar5e!!

Post #172343 1st Oct 2012 9:48am
K9F

Glyn, your pictures don't work but thanks to your description I think I've just experienced a bit of a 'Eurika' moment. I finally got it! Then....unfortunately I lost it again.....But it is dawning on me that in fact you're right.....maybe at this moment in time...

Thanks for your patience....

Thumbs Up

Just please....DON'T ask me tomorrow..... Rolling with laughter If you go through life with your head in the sand....all people will see is an ar5e!!

Post #172344 1st Oct 2012 9:53am
Glynparry25

Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter

OK, one last try.....

Vehicle hub is the reference as it doesn't move.

Offset of +1 moves the centre of the wheel out by 1mm......+2, +3 etc. So imagine a offset of +50.... to fit that to a car the rim would have to move into the vehicles arches 50mm until the centre of the wheel mates with the hub.

If the offset is moved into the negative -1, -2 etc the centre of the wheel moves towards the car which means the rim will not have to go as far into the arches before the centre of the wheel mates with the hub.

The reason to reference it to the Land Rover offset is to work out which way it is moving.

So an offset greater than +33 will move the wheels rim (and tire) further into the arch.

An offset less than +33 will move the wheels further out.

So, if you add a 30mm spacer onto a +33 offset it makes it +3 offset because it is effectivly bringing the center mating surface of the wheel closer to the centre line of the rim (I am making myself cross eyed here).

A couple of pictures:

Possitive Offset:

Click image to enlarge

Negative offset:

Click image to enlarge

If pictures are now working Rolling Eyes

Glyn Dog Sheep
Post #172352 1st Oct 2012 10:17am
me@td5.org

Thankfully the Blindo wheels and my freestyles are the same width so any change in offset will translate directly with a move in the outside edge of the tyre.
Post #172356 1st Oct 2012 10:31am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>