↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > 2" Lift Advice for My 110 Puma
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 3 of 3 <123
Print this entire topic · 
Glynparry25

Wales 2009 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS DCPU Tonga Green
Tennis balls Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter

My reasoning for the airbag suspension is quite the opposite to what other people want.

Mine has the 1 ton HD suspension which means that when driving every day it is a hard bone shaker when going over speed bumps etc. But then when I go out I tend to have my trailer and load the back up...... so...... As a perfect compromise I am looking at airbags which means I can have the nice soft glide when empty at lower pressure and then can up the pressure when overlanding or towing.

I will start with the rear, then the front and then get a controller at the end to tie it all together.

Tim NZ
Thanks for the link- I have already sent the designs down to the metal bay to be made up Thumbs Up Then I will just have to get the bags and associated parts to plumb it all in.

Just a quick Q. You mention the need for extended bump stops? How come...... the bags have internal bump stops..... or is there another reason?

Cheers,
Glyn Dog Sheep

P.S. Sorry to steal the thread a little.
Post #164876 28th Aug 2012 1:16pm
tatra805

Slovakia 2008 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 CSW Bonatti Grey
Another vote against.

Not based on not doable or technical reasons. It is achievable, but at what cost and for what reason?

2 inch is not all that much, yes it can give you the edge over stock but you’ll spend ¾ of a full conversion where you are right into the territory of competition vehicles.
That might still be ok for you and I don’t see a problem with it.

But driving on road will be compromised, COG, insurance, MOT, warrantee etc for sitting 2 inch higher and a couple of thousands lighter if done right.

I see a lot of terms used which are explained correctly, lift will not give you load capacity, HD springs don’t give lift but are harder when empty, progressive springs are available to counter this and give you the right spring for your needs. (wont solve the other component issues though)
My fear would be to find a real expert on the subject which I can trust and who is willing to work out the setup according my wishes. (too many “””experts””” in the field to my liking)
Half solutions don’t work and there are a bunch of them out there.

I know that a 2 inch lift is seen as almost normal and for a novice can be seen as a first “must have”. You know, to avoid damage and be able to have good tires fit. Etc etc Who wants to drive stock???

I entered the 4x4 scene when mud tires were about it. Lift kits and lockers came later, and the terrain driven worse. Now 15 years later you need to have a 500BHP buggy with 3 winches if you want to be somewhat competitive.
I am not against or judging.
But I remember a Transylvania Trophy where 2 boyscout dressed up nuts in a stock Willy’s with capstan winch finished 3rd. They had the time of their lives and took the p**s out of 98% of the serious competitors.

It’s not all about equipment.

It’s an individual choice to find the fun in ownership of a 4x4. No judging from my side. To me, I rather spend the money on miles and experiences than group induced bling.

Smile
Post #164877 28th Aug 2012 1:17pm
Glynparry25

Well said ^^^^

You could add Camel Trophy to the list of non lifted capable vehicles Thumbs Up

Glyn Dog Sheep
Post #164878 28th Aug 2012 1:20pm
quentin

Australia 2004 Defender 110 Td5 SW Alpine White
tatra805 wrote:
<snip>

I entered the 4x4 scene when mud tires were about it.

Smile

Ahh the good old days, And didn't I love my Bar Treads

remember when the only way to 'Bling' up your Landy was to tie a canvas water bottle on the radiator grille, and a length of sisal rope around your bumper (even if you didnt have a capstain winch)

and what about those Aeon Springs - the bees knees .

(jeesh - I must be getting old )
Post #164885 28th Aug 2012 1:49pm
Tim_NZ

Australia 
Glynparry25 wrote:

Just a quick Q. You mention the need for extended bump stops? How come...... the bags have internal bump stops..... or is there another reason?

Cheers,
Glyn Dog Sheep

P.S. Sorry to steal the thread a little.

Hi Glyn, I was advised the internal bump stops are not up to the abuse encountered with a 4WD. As I said in the thread I used a 32mm spacer between the top mount plates, (44mm total), I will be reconfiguring my ones with a shorter spacer, probably 20-25mm, (32-37mm total).

I'm changing them for 3 reasons:
Firstly because I have found the bags have "settled in" and only require about 35psi to lift the car back to the standard ride hight, (125mm bump stop clearance), and the ride is now a bit too soft.
Secondly, I erred on the side of caution when I made the mounts since the bags will wear away if they are allowed to rub on the spring mount, and there is still plenty of clearance between the sides of the air bags and the spring mount to allow shorter spacers.
Thirdly, the bump stop spacers can be shorter.

Because the bump stops have to be extended some upwards articulation will be lost, however there is much more down travel in the air bags than with coil springs, (without the use of relocation cones), so longer shocks can be used. This may not suit "Extreeme 4WDers", but for a touring/every day vehicle they suit my purposes very well.

Cheers,

Tim
Post #164893 28th Aug 2012 2:27pm
Glynparry25

Cheers for all the info Tim...... was thinking of reducing the spacing to 1"......... looks like that really was the best plan!!

Glyn Dog Sheep
Post #164899 28th Aug 2012 2:52pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 3 of 3 <123