↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > 2" Lift Advice for My 110 Puma
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 3 <123>
Print this entire topic · 
Tim_NZ

Australia 
Glynparry25 wrote:

Hopefully I will come into loads of money and get a air suspension kit from the air bag man in Aus Cool

Glyn Dog Sheep

Or just fit your own:

http://www.aulro.com/afvb/projects-tutoria...-axle.html

(Sorry for the hijack!)

Cheers,

Tim
Post #164714 27th Aug 2012 1:36pm
quentin

Australia 2004 Defender 110 Td5 SW Alpine White
pouf wrote:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_trksid=p5197.m570.l1313&_nkw=defender+air+lift&_sacat=0
if it that, it is not so expensive

Yes Bargain, Go for it, best value for money mod you can do for your Defender if you carry a load,
Looks like the red round thing is a new style top mount so its all good to go.
Post #164716 27th Aug 2012 1:46pm
AndyS

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Sumatra Black
If raising a Puma is a no-no then does anyone have a suggestion on what to do to prepare the car for touring? I'm not planning anything mad but people tell me the front springs on a Puma aren't that good and upgrading the rears is a good idea when the car is loaded. I see Land Rover themselves do heavy duty springs for the 110, would they fit the bill here? I'm not going to venture far from the road, green lanes in the Alps is the plan, but with a loaded up car is this an area I need to upgrade?

Thanks.
Post #164750 27th Aug 2012 6:46pm
AndyS

If raising a Puma is a no-no then does anyone have a suggestion on what to do to prepare the car for touring? I'm not planning anything mad but people tell me the front springs on a Puma aren't that good and upgrading the rears is a good idea when the car is loaded. I see Land Rover themselves do heavy duty springs for the 110, would they fit the bill here? I'm not going to venture far from the road, green lanes in the Alps is the plan, but with a loaded up car is this an area I need to upgrade?

Thanks.
Post #164752 27th Aug 2012 6:48pm
Glynparry25

Wales 2009 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS DCPU Tonga Green
It seems people think that to add weight you have to raise the vehicle.

If you are having more kit on board you have to get stronger springs or as above get air bag helpers.

OME, Terrafirma have a selection of springs for different load weights, without adding height- you just have to work out how much extra and where it is carried.

Glyn Dog Sheep
Post #164753 27th Aug 2012 6:51pm
JSG

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Stornoway Grey
If you don't think the standard Defender is suitable for what you need then I'd suggest HD springs. Why does everyone want to lift a Defender just to carry a load and tour - it's what they were designed for Rolling Eyes John

http://www.hampshire4x4response.co.uk

2011 Tdci 110 CSW XS
Post #164774 27th Aug 2012 8:32pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
quentin

JSG wrote:
If you don't think the standard Defender is suitable for what you need then I'd suggest HD springs. Why does everyone want to lift a Defender just to carry a load and tour - it's what they were designed for Rolling Eyes

X2 Thumbs Up

Exactly !!

I go on 3 month expeditions in mine, ARB bullbar , XD 9000 Winch upfront, Fully loaded with gear & provisions plus Towing a 1600Kg Caravan on standard Duty original 110 Springs, I just put a bit of air in the rear polyairs to make it ride level.

Lifting it might add pose value but wont help in the rough. The diffs remain the same height off the floor.

Granted a set of 255/85's could be a good thing, but in my case with the Load, sometimes I wish for a lower gear as it is so I'm not upping the tire size.

Last edited by quentin on 28th Aug 2012 1:33am. Edited 1 time in total
Post #164808 27th Aug 2012 10:08pm
AndyS

A novice like myself can only go on what we're advised and it seems common to want to get the standard springs out when leaving the beaten track. But they don't say it needs lifting, that complication comes in when you look for HD springs, they almost always say +2". I don't need ground clearance, just the removal of a potential weak link.

Thanks for the advice.
Post #164810 27th Aug 2012 10:12pm
JSG

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Stornoway Grey
AndyS wrote:
A novice like myself can only go on what we're advised and it seems common to want to get the standard springs out when leaving the beaten track. But they don't say it needs lifting, that complication comes in when you look for HD springs, they almost always say +2". I don't need ground clearance, just the removal of a potential weak link.

Thanks for the advice.

These will be the same 'experts' who tell you that you need a winch, roll cage, mud terrains, ARB lockers and a full set of LED equipped sliders to go green laning.

Have a read of First Overland and see what people did years ago with a fairly standard Landrover.

You can get standard height HD springs if you want to stiffen things up a bit. John

http://www.hampshire4x4response.co.uk

2011 Tdci 110 CSW XS
Post #164817 28th Aug 2012 12:08am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
jst

2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Stornoway Grey
quentin wrote:

Apart from the tosser effect why would you want to lift a Defender anyway,

to enable you to fit bigger tyres which will improve your ability across rough terrain whilst also giving better axle clearance whilst retaining axle articulation and not rubbing.

another reason you may wish to lift it is to maintain a std ride height when heavily loaded, which means when empty its lifted slightly. Cheers

James
110 2012 XS Utility
130 2011 M57 bespoke Camper
90 2010 Hardtop
90 M57 1988 Hardtop
Post #164835 28th Aug 2012 7:00am
Glynparry25

jst wrote:

to enable you to fit bigger tyres which will improve your ability across rough terrain whilst also giving better axle clearance whilst retaining axle articulation and not rubbing.

There are many ways around this with the fitting of portals, cutting out arches and body lift kits. I did lift my old Discovery (2") for the reason that I was getting larger tyres, but turned out that they would have fitted without a lift- the best mod I did after was 2" extended shocks to increase articulation.

As for the 'improving ability across terrain'- once you go too big for standard suspension height (35" on Puma) you will have to upgrade the whole drivetrain and want a more powerful engine....... so the only people thinking of this will be competition use and not so much heavy loads/ overland/ workhorse........ so not really with the OP.

jst wrote:

another reason you may wish to lift it is to maintain a std ride height when heavily loaded, which means when empty its lifted slightly.

Springs are designed to work at a certain weight- therefore if you counter the weight problem with extra height (which then compresses to standard height) you are oveloading your springs and they are more likely to fail.... most likely on a remote rough road just when you don't want it to.

Yes, if you fit a set of heavy duty standard height springs it will end up lifting the vehicle a little (less than an inch) when unloaded. But that isn't classified as 'lifting your vehicle' it is just a by product. Plus you won't want to drive it unloaded as it will be a right bone shaker if you tour with heavy loads (try driving a 110 DC XS with the HD springs on the rear and no load).

Glyn Dog Sheep
Post #164839 28th Aug 2012 7:27am
jst

2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Stornoway Grey
Glyn, i note your response. the comment posted was why bother with a lift expect from being a tosser. i listed some reasons.

air spring helpers give a lift when unloaded and extra support to maintain a std ride height when heavily loaded allowing the spring to work as it should.

2" spacers on the bottom of a spring would also do the same thing although less kind to the spring as you point out.

wrt to bigger tyres. are you honestly telling me its easier to fit portals than lift a vehicle to get say 37" on it?

i run a lift with 255.85s as i use it hard off road and want the articulation which you cant get chopping the body away unless you start moving seat box bases on the rear. you will get fouling on the front on locks with std rims.

the same lift also helps on ramp over and approach angles etc.

with the 37" i run force 9s axles and a lift.without the lift i would have issues with clearance again. you can lower gearing to achieve what you need engine power wise.

bigger tyres make lighter work of holes/ditches etc so are a benefit. have you tried following a set of Mog ruts?

i was commenting on the 'tosser' element of a post rather than the OP. Cheers

James
110 2012 XS Utility
130 2011 M57 bespoke Camper
90 2010 Hardtop
90 M57 1988 Hardtop
Post #164861 28th Aug 2012 10:48am
quentin

Hey James, I'm the guilty party that suggested that you'd be a Tosser to lift a Defender.

All due respect, your right there is a place for lifts and big tyres but the original post was " 2 inch lift advice for Puma " the consensus is DONT DO IT .

The Tosser effect that im talking about is most action lifted 4x4's get is at the local school pickup queue , no perhaps theyre not tossers , I'll rephrase that, lets call them Censored .

heres my 2 bobs worth,
if you want max articulation , as I do, you get more with standard springs than you do with hd springs or 2"+ springs , unless you take out a mortgage and replace every other suspension component and propshafts as well, then you end up with a lifted truck that does have articulation, but laws of physics dictate its got a higher center of gravity and a lower roll over angle, making it in fact a LESS capable 4x4.

jst wrote:
<snip>

air spring helpers give a lift when unloaded and extra support to maintain a std ride height when heavily loaded allowing the spring to work as it should.

Also Air spring helpers do nothing when unloaded, thats the beauty of them, When the vehicle is empty you deflate the air springs and the suspension is completely standard, When you load the vehicle up you inflate the springs and they support your load, Its the best of both worlds.

Last edited by quentin on 28th Aug 2012 1:00pm. Edited 1 time in total
Post #164866 28th Aug 2012 12:16pm
Glynparry25

Quinten beat me to it. Yes, if you are a serious off-roader and want 35s, 37s or even 44s you have no choice but to start the lift process. But as said- and the feeling from the post was for the regular Puma Defender driver.

I guess the point is that if you fit a 2" lift with no change of shocks (standard length) you are in fact reducing your Defenders capability.

Glyn Dog Sheep
Post #164872 28th Aug 2012 12:53pm
quentin

Also if you are skint you could try this, We used to do it in the 1980's before you could buy all the add on bits.

When loading the old Rangie up for a trip she used to sag in the back (even with the boge hydromat)

We'd jack the back of the car up & squeeze a dozen or so tennis balls into the rear springs, let the jack down & it sits nice and high, load it up with all the gear & it sits & rides just great. No reason it would not work on a defender. Not sure how the cheap balls from Wangers would work , probably need Spalding or something . Worth a try Idea

Ha , I was looking for a photo & found this http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/...x-car.html Rolling with laughter not quite what I had in mind, they go inside the spring, they dont replace it !!!

but trust me, it works !! Thumbs Up just dont present it for your MOT like that Laughing
Post #164874 28th Aug 2012 1:06pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 3 <123>