↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > Brilliant upgrade for any Defender 110 / 130
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 4 of 5 <12345>
Print this entire topic · 
jasong4110

United Kingdom 2003 Defender 110 Td5 G4 LE Java Black
quentin wrote:
jasong4110 wrote:
Thanks Quentin,

wow, I'm doing all I can to make mine cooler inside !!!

cheers Q

I am currently insulating mine like mad in an attempt to retain some heat in my truck when I head up to Norway in February.

By jasong4110 at 2012-08-02

Looking at your box again the square design is better as it allow for the step surface to be used for the mounting of the ODB11 port so I have now changed the drawings, thanks again for your help.

Cheers, Jason.
Post #159456 2nd Aug 2012 3:43pm
JeremyJ

United Kingdom 
I know its heading even further OT, but what are you using to insulate it with? Any problems sticking it to the bulkhead etc?
Post #159466 2nd Aug 2012 4:29pm
jasong4110

Jeremy wrote:
I know its heading even further OT, but what are you using to insulate it with? Any problems sticking it to the bulkhead etc?

I came across these (http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MILITARY-LAND-ROVER-WOLF-TUM-RAD-HAZ-RADIATION-HAZARD-INSULATION-PROTECTION-KIT-/230832098618?pt=UK_Cars_Parts_Vehicles_Other_Vehicle_Parts_Accessories_ET&hash=item35beaa4d3a#ht_2438wt_1272 ) on eBay £8 plus postage and one was mine.

Originally I didn't know what they were made of so took the risk that I could craft a engine blanket out of them,

The pack arrived and I realised there would be loads. of material plus some extra rivits and straps:

Click image to enlarge

But the best thing I realised that they were basically Nylon material covering closed cell foam lined with Aluminium, which is not cheap stuff!!

Click image to enlarge

I therefore cut off the outer fabric and using the carpets as templates mad a set of insulation for the front, I used 3/4 of one of the big sheets so am left with enough to line the back and the door cards.

Click image to enlarge

However with a roof to line and other bits to do I phoned the company up that sell them and made them an offer of £90 for six sets including delivery. So I now have enough for my truck and some extra ones for other people going on the trip.

They are a very close fit but will probably glue them with some spray adhesive and then seal the edges with some Aluminium tape.

Jason.
Post #159473 2nd Aug 2012 4:58pm
JeremyJ

United Kingdom 
Looks good! Would you have a spare one you'd part with? Pm me if you do!
Post #159489 2nd Aug 2012 6:02pm
quentin

Australia 2004 Defender 110 Td5 SW Alpine White
I dont think any apologies need be made in regard to going off topic, since the OP has gone awol , and because the Post is about "Brilliant Upgrade for any Defender" Love the Radiation Proof insulation, While you go to Norway you should do a side trip to Chernobyl , Lots of fantastic youtube footage of Chernobyl tours showing lots of derelict military equipment !!
Post #159613 3rd Aug 2012 9:12am
richardd

Scotland 2012 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 CSW Epsom Green
[quote="quentin"

I'm not sure why it is lower at the front, Possibly to get the angle of the higher cubby box more ergonomic ?? , (is that a word you can use in a Defender??) the cubby is now a great armrest, [/quote]

The inspection plate runs downhill from front to back which is why the cubby boxes have angles wooden rails under them.

I tried removing mine and hated the look and feel of the sloping cubby top.

I'm currently dicking around with a nakatenga under cubby box to get the height right for me ... http://www.defender2.net/forum/post159622.html#159622
Post #159624 3rd Aug 2012 10:23am
jasong4110

quentin wrote:
I dont think any apologies need be made in regard to going off topic, since the OP has gone awol , and because the Post is about "Brilliant Upgrade for any Defender" Love the Radiation Proof insulation, While you go to Norway you should do a side trip to Chernobyl , Lots of fantastic youtube footage of Chernobyl tours showing lots of derelict military equipment !!

One of our party is going via Russia on his Overland world trip after he has left us!! The other advantage you missed is that with all the foil it should help stop the aliens reading my thoughts!!!

Jason.
Post #159627 3rd Aug 2012 10:41am
jasong4110

From drawing to fabrication, the box arrived today it's 2mm ali with a 2.5mm ali lid I need to do the hinge and the lock cut some holes, rivnuts in the top for the cubby box slap some paint on and job done.

It will be a few weeks now unit I get round to moving things, but please with the result so far.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Jason.
Post #160756 8th Aug 2012 2:33pm
quentin

you gotta be happy with that .
Post #160861 8th Aug 2012 10:45pm
jasong4110

quentin wrote:
you gotta be happy with that .

I am, it's a way off completion but the fabrication company I use are just artists, the welding is full penetration and a joy to look at, once I have dressed the welds you will think the thing was cast.

Off on holiday next week so it will be a couple of weeks until I get round to finishing it but pleased with what I have so far, and at considerably less cost than the unit from Australia.

Jason.
Post #160863 8th Aug 2012 10:50pm
ZeDefender

Germany 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SW Baltic Blue
Feedback as promised
Well, the door adjusters arrived and I have fitted them. I am not altogether unhappy as there are some positive and negative points.

Negative:
1) They are bloody expensive for what they are
2) In retrospect, I could have made them myself (but that's true of most things)
3) I feel like a pillock because I didn't realise I was being scammed (so Dirtpod isn't Daniel or his friend Question Rolling Eyes )

Positive:
1) They work and look smart (for 2 bits of flat stainless)
2) I would probably never have done this myself and they will be great for our disabled guest
3) In retrospect, I haven't noticed them advertised on the German sites - but I'm sure someone will correct me Rolling Eyes
4) They are exactly the right size to allow the doors to open until they just touch the B-pillar (I would have screwed that up horribly)

So, generally I'm pleased with them in a "you bloody idiot, how could you be taken for a ride like that" sort of way Embarassed Tell someone you love them today because life is short.
But shout it at them in German because life is also terrifying and confusing...
Post #160890 9th Aug 2012 8:24am
Dirtpod

Australia 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SW Java Black
It's disappointing to read some of the posts included in this thread; I hate reading peoples' personal jibes knowing (personally) they are the furthest from the truth and made without concerns to the parties involved.

Dirtpod is not Daniel. My name is Dave, thanks for asking. I'm 33 and loving owning my very first Land Rover (2011 Defender 110). A feeling i'm sure you all hold dear. I have met Daniel twice when I picked up the door hinges and a water bladder for my defender. I like the guy, honest, genuine and happy to take the time out of his day to discuss anything Land Rover . . . a totally different experience from my local Land Rover Dealer; wish more people selling their own products were like this !

With regards to the Door Hinges - surely, buy viewing the website, reading the product detail, examining the pictures, and sighting the quoted price one can make an informed decision as to whether it is the product for them and the price they are willing to pay for it. It is disappointing to read the words "scammed" and "i'm a pillock" (in its context) describing this product.

We all love Defenders and I hate it when I hear people knocking other peoples time and toil spent manufacturing products for us. Sure, some are good and some are bad, but that is individually subjective, and without them all we would be running around in our Bog Standard factory delivered drives.

Don't get me wrong I know there is a place for product commentary, but i would enjoy reading constructive information that doesn't tarnish peoples businesses when that person/business has been upfront, informative and honest from the get go. (view web page information)

No doubt I am about to be cast out of the Defender fraternity for this post; and that's going to be disappointing (and sad) but I am going knowing the information I have shared has been factual and non-bias.

Thanks for taking the time to read.

Cheers,
Dave
Post #160931 9th Aug 2012 12:10pm
quentin

Hey Dave, the kit you bought can be got for $2.50 from the local bolt bloke, the Mulgo embossing is what the other $22.50 went to. Daniel may well be a top bloke, almost godlike if you surf some of the posts at AULRO, would love to share a yarn with him too, but I got the same ripped feeling when I recieved my Td5 fuel pump hatch in the mail. I'd say scammed is pretty close to the mark.

Just seems Aussies love spending money on their defers, guilty as charged, but I still feel pretty miffed when I find ive been conned,.

no need to feel outcast
Post #160932 9th Aug 2012 12:23pm
ZeDefender

Germany 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SW Baltic Blue
Hi Dave

Fair do's but you can understand people's suspicions when you start a thread with a single post expounding the virtues of a product then disappear completely from the thread or anywhere else on the forum Shocked
It's going to look suspicious, isn't it?
I stand by what I said about the product, positives and negatives, and I would like to believe that you have no vested interest in Mulgo but hopefully you can see things from our point of view.
If that is the case, then I apologise if I have offended you and hope that if you still wish to be part of the Defender2 community you will feel welcome here and not put off by grumpy old men like me Whistle

Cheers
Matt

p.s. Mulgo need to dump the dome-head nut and replace it with a nyloc one (or it gets loose). Even better - lose the bolt and have the thread welded to the bracket (i.e. as a stud) - then it might be worth 20 dollars. Tell someone you love them today because life is short.
But shout it at them in German because life is also terrifying and confusing...
Post #160933 9th Aug 2012 12:34pm
tatra805

Slovakia 2008 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 CSW Bonatti Grey
Cool Common guys agree to disagree

I don’t see a difference between raving about an Australian piece of flat iron and 2 bolts and an English anti-pants-ripping doorlock.

Both are overpriced, a want rather than a need, and open to likes and dislikes.

Ripped off?? Don’t know what makes an entreq square meter of stainless more expensive than a British one.

Design and taste are pulling me to the one or the other and price becomes irrelevant. People always forget money is the result of something, not the cause.

If ( as was one person asking before) I had a disabled partner for which I installed a 3000£ person lift to my defender I really couldn’t be bothered about another 25£ for a door hinge extension. Not for a moment and not even if I could make it myself.

At this moment, I would kick myself if spending 33€ on a hinge extender which I don’t need.

So we had another happy-camper posting up his excitement (as first post). So what? Benefits the seller? Yes for one, no for another.

I for one don’t rip my pants nor do I get clamped between my back doors. Mr. Green
But I do like gadgets and who knows would even try to fab up something or buy it if I’m feeling lazy.

I like to read experiences and emotions of others regarding our toys, even if sometimes only because I can think “pitiful creatures, how can you let yourself being ripped off for another piece of overpriced non-engineering” Rolling with laughter

But the next moment I go buy myself some diesel-polarisation magnets which claim 20% mpg gain as I like their color
Embarassed

Rolling with laughter

nice eggbox btw Thumbs Up
Post #160943 9th Aug 2012 1:48pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 4 of 5 <12345>