↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Technical > Td5 dcpu accellerator problem with water?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Pughy

Wales 2003 Defender 110 Td5 DCPU Bonatti Grey
Td5 dcpu accellerator problem with water?
Hi everyone. First time posting long time reader! Great forum btw!!

Could someone help me with a problem i am having with my Defender 110 td5 DCPU please?

A couple of years ago i went through a ford which was about a foot deep. About 30mins later the engine management light came on and the accellerator pedel stopped working. The engine ticked over ok. So I turned the engine off and on again and it worked ok for a little while but i had to keep stopping and starting the engine 5 - 10 times to get home as the light kept coming on!

Anyway i took it in to be looked at and the fault was diagnosed as a faulty potentiometer (accellerator pedal to you and me!) They replaced it and all has been well. I thought it must have been a coincidence that i had just been through water. Until recently.

On the way home i had to go through another ford. Again it was only about a foot deep. This time the engine management light came on about a minute after. Thankfully i was only about a mile from home so i manged to use tick over and 1st and second to get me home. Stopping the engine and starting it again clears the fault for about 5 seconds but then the light comes back on and the pedel stops responding.

Obviously water is getting into something, somewhere. I spent an hour in the engine bay and under the landy last night but i couldn't see anywhere where water could effect the wiring loom for the accellerator and everything seemed dry. In fact most places had powdery dirt on them! I left it parked up for 48hrs and now it drivers perfect again.

Anybody got any ideas or heard about this before?

Huge thanks in advance.

Regards.

Gareth. Happiness is only real when shared. Chris McCandless.
Post #149433 9th Jun 2012 11:15pm
Maxxed_Ross

Scotland 2001 Defender 90 Td5 CSW Cobar Blue
that's a new one to me, and I've had mine through water a few times without any issue Shocked

My best guess at a solution would be to find the throttle potentiometer (it's a black box at the top of the throttle) and see if the connector is either wet or loose. Unlikely that it will be wet but you never know.

After that it would be checking the loom behind the bulkhead - but if you've already checked that I dunno what else to suggest with that.

The other thing it might be is the ECU inder the drivers seat - water has been known to get in there and cause issues. Check the green and white wire on the bottom left of the black plug on the ECU - I'm sure that's the throttle connection into the ECU (Pin 30 I think...). It might be wet, damaged or loose.

Last thing I can think of would be where the loom passes the transfer box, it's mighty close on mine so it has the potential to rub through the plastic coating. Adding water to a bare cable might be causing your issue.

Hope some of that is of use Very Happy
Post #149439 10th Jun 2012 5:55am
bell-auto-services

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Orkney Grey
Hi

It sounds like as above, the wiring loom that goes around the gearbox/transbox into the seat box where the engine ecu is, the wires inside chafe against them selfs and the plastic conduit and when they get wet short against the wire next to it and cause a wide range of faults.

Get under the car and pull the conduit casing back on the loom and inspect it for chafed wiresand or wet or muddy water inside it.

Pete
Post #149473 10th Jun 2012 11:11am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
amondeggs

United Kingdom 1999 Defender 90 Td5 HT Woodcote Green
I had exactly the same problem some months ago

http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic9493.html

Never did find out the reason but will check the wiring on the loom

Thanks Pete Thumbs Up
Post #149552 10th Jun 2012 6:02pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Pughy

Wales 2003 Defender 110 Td5 DCPU Bonatti Grey
Cheers guys. Very Happy i'll check soon and let you know! Thumbs Up Happiness is only real when shared. Chris McCandless.
Post #149617 10th Jun 2012 9:17pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1