↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Off Topic > Grumpy Old Man Thread
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 45 of 265 <123 ... 444546 ... 263264265>
Print this entire topic · 
22900013A

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Keswick Green
konabikes11 wrote:
Drivers that drive too fast in the wrong conditions / dangerous places and roads and drivers that drive too slow on the main roads designed for higher speed. Double dutch? Whistle

They aren't the same though - as I said above, slow drivers may be irritating yes, but not dangerous in themselves - and lorries have NO CHOICE but to drive so slowly. If someone decides to be a Censored and drive too fast and dangerously then thats upto them and they will face the consequences. I can certainly see no argument why I should break the law just to please others.
Post #147929 31st May 2012 3:10pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
custom90

United Kingdom 
22900013A wrote:
konabikes11 wrote:
Drivers that drive too fast in the wrong conditions / dangerous places and roads and drivers that drive too slow on the main roads designed for higher speed. Double dutch? Whistle

They aren't the same though - as I said above, slow drivers may be irritating yes, but not dangerous in themselves - and lorries have NO CHOICE but to drive so slowly. If someone decides to be a Censored and drive too fast and dangerously then thats upto them and they will face the consequences. I can certainly see no argument why I should break the law just to please others.

No nor do I and I don't personally either. Lorries and what not I don't ever mind at all they are good drivers. I mean the woman in the mpv with the kids in the back or the old chap in a berlingo. When conditions are bad it's no problem but in perfect conditions why go 20mph under the speed limit? ( I know this is different for lorries and trailers)
Post #147942 31st May 2012 4:06pm
Retroanaconda

Scotland 
Indeed. It Censoreds me off no end when I'm stuck behind some idiot doing 45mph on a stretch of perfectly open national speed limit country road, and it's always when the road is too windy or there's oncoming traffic which means I can't get past the Censored. Just makes me want to ram them off the damn road, there's just absolutely no need for it.

Just writing about it is winding me up! Laughing
Post #148018 31st May 2012 9:33pm
leeds

United Kingdom 
COURIERS!!!!! Banging Head Banging Head Banging Head

Enough said!

Brendan
Post #148020 31st May 2012 9:37pm
22900013A

Retroanaconda wrote:
Indeed. It Censoreds me off no end when I'm stuck behind some idiot doing 45mph on a stretch of perfectly open national speed limit country road, and it's always when the road is too windy or there's oncoming traffic which means I can't get past the Censored. Just makes me want to ram them off the damn road, there's just absolutely no need for it.

Just writing about it is winding me up! Laughing

May I recommend some Diazepam? Twisted Evil
Post #148025 31st May 2012 10:07pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
TR51

France 2014 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 SW Corris Grey
Leeds wrote:

Enough said!

I agree... having waited in all day today for a delivery, I have found a 'Sorry, you were not in' note on the doorstep at timed at 6PM, conveniently when their call center shuts as well!! Evil or Very Mad
Post #148034 1st Jun 2012 12:30am
custom90

United Kingdom 
TR51 wrote:
Leeds wrote:

Enough said!

I agree... having waited in all day today for a delivery, I have found a 'Sorry, you were not in' note on the doorstep at timed at 6PM, conveniently when their call center shuts as well!! Evil or Very Mad

I have had a deliver once that didn't turn up because apparently the driver could not find my address Rolling Eyes Anyone would think this was the Scottish Highlands Rolling Eyes
Post #148059 1st Jun 2012 9:54am
leeds

United Kingdom 
One thing I have noticed recently are there is a new breed of motorway car drivers who are determined to be as fuel conservative as possible and to be a menance to other motorway users.

Who are these car drivers?

Those who insist on driving in Lane 1 at 50-55 mph. Since HGVs are typically goverened to 52-56 mph, these car drivers are not keeping up with HGVs suffer from themselves being tailgated by HGV's and/or forcing lorry drivers into lane 2 causing more congestion in lane 2 and possible problems.

If they can not keep up with average lorry speed, should they be actually driving on motorways?

Yes I know in general there is no minimum speed limit on British roads but surely going too slow on a motorway could be considered driving without due care and consideration?

Brendan
Post #148064 1st Jun 2012 10:24am
22900013A

leeds wrote:
One thing I have noticed recently are there is a new breed of motorway car drivers who are determined to be as fuel conservative as possible and to be a menance to other motorway users.

Who are these car drivers?

Those who insist on driving in Lane 1 at 50-55 mph. Since HGVs are typically goverened to 52-56 mph, these car drivers are not keeping up with HGVs suffer from themselves being tailgated by HGV's and/or forcing lorry drivers into lane 2 causing more congestion in lane 2 and possible problems.

If they can not keep up with average lorry speed, should they be actually driving on motorways?

Yes I know in general there is no minimum speed limit on British roads but surely going too slow on a motorway could be considered driving without due care and consideration?

Brendan

No I don't think its is "legally" wrong whatsoever. As you say, there is no minimum speed limit. You see plenty of abnormal loads at 30 mph (okay you see them way way in advance which helps). Drivers who do this are an irritation, yes, and when in a modern car they are hard to spot until you are quite close, even from a lorry cab. With an older vehicle (say a series Landrover, Morris Minor etc) you know from the car design it will be slow and so can take premeptive action. I don't object to car drivers doing 50-55 per se, so long as they stick to that speed the problems come when you try to overtake them and they speed up, or where they generally drive within a window of say 50-60 mph (by this I mean speeding up and down within that range at random) which makes life very difficult for lorries.

By the same token, the drivers who must be in front no matter what Censored me off as they really are dangerous, as mentioned in my posts above.
Post #148070 1st Jun 2012 10:45am
Martin
Site Admin

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Montalcino Red
konabikes11 wrote:
Lorries ... are good drivers

Not necessarily. Are they the same good drivers who meaner onto the hard shoulder on the motorway? Or sit on their limiters at 56mph going into roadworks with a 50 limit, thereby hammering up behind the cars Evil or Very Mad  1988 90 Td5 NAS soft top
2015 D90 XS SW
Post #148075 1st Jun 2012 10:56am
custom90

United Kingdom 
Martin wrote:
konabikes11 wrote:
Lorries ... are good drivers

Not necessarily. Are they the same good drivers who meaner onto the hard shoulder on the motorway? Or sit on their limiters at 56mph going into roadworks with a 50 limit, thereby hammering up behind the cars Evil or Very Mad

By that I mean a majority not all. Yesterday there was an artic that was going down the middle of the road in front with no reason for doing so at all..
Post #148108 1st Jun 2012 1:07pm
rossy

Ireland 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 CSW Stornoway Grey
229 I agree with you about the varied speed being a problem.
When towing the caravan I always stick to around 60. Last year whilst on the A449 en route to Malvern a Ford Ka kept repeatedly overtaking me and then slowing down to 50. It wasn't malicious - just thoughtless as if pre programmed to think 'oh there's a caravan - must get past it even if he's going faster than me'. This must be very irritating behind the wheel of a truck.
I usually find lorry drivers to be very courteous when I'm towing. Most of them flash you when its safe to pull in after overtaking. But then again they're the professionals. Its everyone else on the road who seems to want to cause an RTA !
Post #148167 1st Jun 2012 6:31pm
bpman

2008 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SVX Station Wagon Santorini Black
are traffic lights optional ? and is it obligatory to use your phone at traffic lights ? where are the police ?

Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad
Post #148172 1st Jun 2012 6:58pm
22900013A

rossy wrote:
229 I agree with you about the varied speed being a problem.
When towing the caravan I always stick to around 60. Last year whilst on the A449 en route to Malvern a Ford Ka kept repeatedly overtaking me and then slowing down to 50. It wasn't malicious - just thoughtless as if pre programmed to think 'oh there's a caravan - must get past it even if he's going faster than me'. This must be very irritating behind the wheel of a truck.
I usually find lorry drivers to be very courteous when I'm towing. Most of them flash you when its safe to pull in after overtaking. But then again they're the professionals. Its everyone else on the road who seems to want to cause an RTA !

Hmm, you do know the towing speed limit on an SC is 50mph? 60 on a dual and a motorway of course. Not being rude, but a lot of people don't know. I still regularly see trailers/caravans being towed at way over 60mph in the inside lane of the motorways. There was a time when you would usually see them a few miles up with a copper having a "friendly chat" and explaining the rules, but not anymore.

The general problem is people just want to go too quickly I think. My first car was a diesel series III Land-Rover so I was never really able to go too quickly, and even now I tend to "automatically" drive the Defender at lorry speeds as I am just so used to it. I do agree though, a lot of it is not malicious, its just that they are oblivious to what is going on around them, like the ones who sit level with the lorry cab on the left hand side so you can't pull in. The air horns usually wake them up. TBH I do think such obliviousness is bordering in being dangerous.
The dickheads who do 70-80 on country lanes terrify me as well, very unlikely to survive when it goes wrong and which innocent passer-by will they take with them?
Post #148179 1st Jun 2012 7:45pm
22900013A

bpman wrote:
are traffic lights optional ? and is it obligatory to use your phone at traffic lights ? where are the police ?

Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad

Driving along whilst on their mobile phones if the ones I see are anything to go by.
Post #148180 1st Jun 2012 7:46pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 45 of 265 <123 ... 444546 ... 263264265>