↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Puma (Tdci) > Limp home
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
stumanuk42

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Stornoway Grey
Limp home
My engine management light came on and the car went into limp home this evening. however during the day, it lost all power (whilst doing 70 on the a12) pulled over, turned it off and on and was alright after that, now this. its oil is OK, the coolants a little low (about 2cm beneath the line when its cooled down).

Any ideas what it might be? be nice to have an idea what the damage is going to be before i get someone too look at it.
Post #143433 4th May 2012 8:44pm
Reiver

England 2010 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 HT Rimini Red
Could be a pre failure warning for the turbo, especially if you've had a re-map - not that I'm suggesting that would have been the case in my experience long in the past Shocked

It could also be because above all, it's a Land Rover Smile This is border country and the Romans built a wall for a reason!
Post #143434 4th May 2012 8:50pm
stumanuk42

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Stornoway Grey
it hasn't been remapped but i do about 24000 miles a year and half of them are dual carriage way, is there any way to see if it is that?
Post #143435 4th May 2012 8:54pm
Reiver

England 2010 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 HT Rimini Red
Nothing stressful about your mileage, marra. I think the elctronic brian is trying to tell you that some chip monitored thingamy isn't performing within the expected performance parameters. Early warning normally which needs checking soonest.

Stop me if I'm being too technical Smile This is border country and the Romans built a wall for a reason!
Post #143438 4th May 2012 9:02pm
cradgebank

England 2008 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Stornoway Grey
It could be anything from a fuel problem to a faulty sensor, best thing get someone with a fault code reader to look at what faults have been logged and then take it from there. Richard

Either a 90, 110 or 130.
Discovery 5
Post #143469 5th May 2012 4:54am
Lorryman100

Chances are the MIL will go out after 3 ignition cycles unless the DTC continually fails the testing phase. You will need a diagnostic tool to read the stored tested DTC to narrow down the cause of the problem.
The engine will go into limp mode if it is overheating as a safeguard, but the fact that there is coolant in the expansion tank makes this unlikely unless the CHT sensor has failed or there is a blockage/issue with the cooling system? Did the temp gauge rise into the red? Other causes are failing MAF, MAP or the High Pressure rail control valve which can stick and cause high rail pressure, which relieves the rail pressure and trips limp mode. Reseting the ignition cycle will reset the limp mode and he MIL will go out after 3 ignition cycles though a tested DTC will be stored in the EMS. Thumbs Up

Brian.
Post #143553 6th May 2012 12:45am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Post Reply
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1