Home > Technical > Draw Bars - Legal
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
The Musketeer

United Kingdom 1988 Defender 90 Other HT Cairns Blue
Draw Bars - Legal
Hi all,

Talking to one of our farmers today who said you need a sticker/plate on your towing unit for it to be legal? Otherwise it falls into the same category as not having your trailer plated? Confused

Can anyone clear this up?

Cheers,

Sam Good things come to the wild and free
Post #133804 23rd Mar 2012 7:53pm
jof33

United Kingdom 2003 Defender 90 Td5 HT Oslo Blue
New reg for MOT
Post #133805 23rd Mar 2012 7:57pm
leeds

United Kingdom 
There is always lots of confusion about the law and vehicles.

What I suggest is you have a look at the MOT inspectors guidelines HERE

Scroll down to section 6.6 which refers to tow bars.

I have had a read of it and I can not see any reference to labels on tow bars.

The stupid thing is that the MOT inspector is NOT allowed to remove a tow ball cover to inspect the condition of the towball!

Just remember that vehicles which are N1 tax class which includes lots but not all Defenders do NOT need a type approved tow bar.

Brendan
Post #133845 23rd Mar 2012 9:50pm
The Musketeer

United Kingdom 1988 Defender 90 Other HT Cairns Blue
Fantastic thanks Brendan. Happy days, I was wondering if it was true!

Sam Good things come to the wild and free
Post #133856 23rd Mar 2012 10:48pm
BigMike

United Kingdom 
It's a DVLA thing, not an MOT thing (though MOT inspector will now look at the bolts to check they are high tensile). You do need to have a E approved plate on your hitch - VOSA are regularly stopping people now at weigh bridges and checking it. This isn't hearsay - a mate was recently stopped and given a warning about it recently as he just had a ball with no markings.

http://www.just-tow.co.uk/towbar-faq-and-039s.html
Post #133894 24th Mar 2012 8:48am
leeds

United Kingdom 
BigMike wrote:
It's a DVLA thing, not an MOT thing (though MOT inspector will now look at the bolts to check they are high tensile). You do need to have a E approved plate......

http://www.just-tow.co.uk/towbar-faq-and-039s.html

As I keep saying there is LOTS of confusion about motoring and towing laws. I have come across an instance when DVLA staff have given out incorrect information!

As far as I understand it the relevant legislation is European type approval 94/20/EC for tow bars.

According to www.NTTA.co.uk

Quote:

In the U.K, with effect from 1st August 1998 all Passenger Carrying Vehicles up to 3500kgs Gross Vehicle Weight (M1 Vehicles) can only be fitted with European Type Approved towbars if the vehicle has received European Whole Vehicle Type Approval.
Non M1 vehicles, light commercial vehicles and private imports from outside the EEC do not need Approved Towbars; however, most car and some Light Commercial Vehicles such as vans commonly use the Type Approved Towbar.

According to www.justtow.co.uk

Quote:

What is EC 94/20?
The full and correct title is "Directive 94/20/EC of the European Parliament and of the council of 30th May 1994, relating to the mechanical coupling devices of motor vehicles and their trailers and their attachment to those vehicles". It is a piece of European legislation governing the design, testing and manufacturing of towbars. The aim of the legislation is to provide a level playing field throughout the EC, allowing the free trade of towbars and accessories throughout Europe.
Does EC94/20 apply to all towbars?

All new light passenger vehicles (not commercial vehicles) which have a European Whole Vehicle Type Approval (EWVTA) Certificate of Conformity must adhere to the regulations. The exceptions are: Vans/ Good Vehicles, Chassis Cabs, Tippers, Pick-Up Trucks, Motor Homes, any Motor Cycle, Non Road Use Vehicles and some Imports (chek with the DVLA).

How can I tell an approved bar from a non-approved bar?

All approved towbars must have a visible data plate, label or stamping showing and E number relating to the country in which its approval was granted. The label/ plate/ stamp must show the Company Name, E Designation, D-Value, S-Value and Maximum Towing Capacity. If the towbar does not have an approval label/ stamp/ plate then it is not approved.

So my understanding is

Type approved tow bar needs label

Non type approved tow bar does NOT need label

Cars since 1994 need type approval tow bars

Commercials do NOT need type approval tow bars and do NOT need a label.

Defenders since 1998 have been classed as both cars and commercials. The difference is in taxation class! If your Defender is taxed as M1 you will need a type approved tow bar.

If your taxation class is N1 you do not need a type approval tow bar.

According to DVLA
Quote:

*N1 – defined as “vehicles used for the carriage of goods and having a maximum mass not exceeding 3.5 tonnes

*M1 – as defined in EC Directive 70/156 “vehicles used for the carriage of passengers and comprising no more than eight
seats in addition to the driver’s seat

HTH

Brendan

PS Are you confused? Razz
Post #133934 24th Mar 2012 12:01pm
Pam W

England 1998 Defender 90 Td5 SW Auto Oslo Blue
It doesn't help the confusion when in the statement quoted by Brendan above they are using the M1 code when describing all vehicles after 1998.

I have a 1998 90 and the new red V5C and tax disc still have 'Private/Light Goods / PLG on them - no mention of N1 or M1 at this registration age. Our 2000 RR is the same too . I guess the N1 and M1 must have come in sometime after 2000 then, and just replace the old style categories that are more familiar to most of us.
Post #133941 24th Mar 2012 1:37pm
ibexman

United Kingdom 
Are 2" reciever hitches legal ???
Post #133978 24th Mar 2012 5:29pm
leeds

United Kingdom 
Pam, if your 90 was first registered prior to 1/8/98 then you can legally use a non type approved tow bar.

If registered after 1/8/98 and was originally a hard top then it is a commercial hence non type approved tow bar is legal.

If registered after 1/8/98 and was a 6 seater SW/CSW then the chances are it is non commercial and so type approval tow bar would be required.

The legal status of Defenders is not helped with the way that Land Rover has managed to change taxation class for Defenders. New Defenders are considered to be commercial.

Ibex, in general 2" receivers are NOT type approve towing equipment and are not sold as towbars but as 2"receiver with a drop plate. What the customer fits to the drop plate is their decision.

However I know of at lease one company selling 2" receivers as quick detachable towbars!

So 2" receiver fitted with towing equipment is legal if fitted to a car first registered prior to 1/8/98 or fitted to a commercial vehicle.

Now has that clarified things or muddied the waters even further?

Brendan

Brendan
Post #134078 24th Mar 2012 9:27pm
EWS

United Kingdom 2006 Defender 90 Td5 HT Alveston Red
Interesting read this . Just had our truck tested ( ’06 Defender 90 County Hard Top) , and the tester informed me that the towbar data plate was about to depart, it’s a foil type ,stuck on thing( tow bar is a Land Rover OEM part) , can one get a replacment, or is one stuffed . Of course she passed, no problems.

Re the taxation class and the muddied waters, ours is in the taxation class as “Disabled” as its my partners, ( she is a Teraplegic)I run a ’91 vintage Fourtrak and no problems with towbar data plates.
Post #139094 13th Apr 2012 10:57pm
JWL

England 2002 Defender 110 Td5 SW Coniston Green
I'm keeping a close watch on this thread, my 2002 110 SW has had the stickers fall off Rolling Eyes I've managed to find one and it now resides in the cubby box. It did leave a barely readable mark on the tow bar frame which is a bit of a PITA as I've tidied up the X member but the two stays on which the stickers reside are quite obvious in a Land Rover rusty sort of way Rolling Eyes
Post #139099 13th Apr 2012 11:19pm
chiefstoker

England 2005 Defender 90 Td5 HT Zambezi Silver
Presumably the identification issue only becomes a possible problem if stopped by VOSA. I would imagine removal of the actual tow hitch prior to the MoT should suffice for a test pass if you are worried about your M1 vehicle? I too have a sticker missing from the actual towing frame but have a Dixon Bate plated hitch. I wouldnt want to use an el cheapo hitch myself tbh so if you havent got a type approved hitch I would suggest changing it anyway. 2005 TD5 90 Hard Top

Beer 'n Sex 'n Chips 'n Gravy

Post #139109 14th Apr 2012 6:28am
lambert.the.farmer

England 1998 Defender 90 300 Tdi PU Rutland Red
Not that it affects me as I'm a pickup but how do NATO pintles fit into the above discussion? Rhubarb and custard let fly with their secret weapon.
Post #139908 17th Apr 2012 7:10pm
leeds

United Kingdom 
Assuming you are referring to the Dixon Bates Light or Medium pintle then according to the Bradley website HERE then they do not have an EC number and hence will not be type approved towing equipment.

Since they are designed for military vehicles I will make the following assumptions. They are not fitted to cars so type approved towing equipment not required. Also I would assume for UK military vehicles crown exemption will apply.

So non type approved then standard towing equipment regulations would apply as discussed above.

Brendan
Post #139911 17th Apr 2012 7:28pm
Kev stephenson

United Kingdom 2005 Defender 110 Td5 XS CSW Java Black
He asked about draw bars not tow bars. I assume he means the bar used when towing another vehicle and not the 50mm ball attached to the back of your truck on which you put your trailer hitch. 2005 110 TD5 XS running Alive Stage 1 and a bit and other toys
1996 130 300TDi chip truck for tree surgery business
Post #139974 17th Apr 2012 10:16pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>