↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > Any body herd anything more about the 3.2 transit engine
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 4 <1234>
Print this entire topic · 
ZeDefender

Germany 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SW Baltic Blue
I think you're right - Dave Ashcroft posted somewhere they are looking into MT82 HD gearboxes, as used with the 3.2 but apparently the differences aren't huge apart from bearings.

Not sure how all that torque would be for some vehicles - even with the 2.4, my 110 juddered like hell until Gary made a "tamed" map Bow down Tell someone you love them today because life is short.
But shout it at them in German because life is also terrifying and confusing...
Post #133849 23rd Mar 2012 10:00pm
ashtrans
Site Sponsor

United Kingdom 
Hi,

the 3.2 MT82 is termed a high capacity version and has a higher torque rating, it looks as though at least 3 of the bearings are bigger and the bellhousing has a larger ID to fit over the bigger 3.2 clutch and flywheel,

we converted one of these 3.2 boxes last week to go in a defender for a customer which involved swapping the rear housing, modifing and fitting the defender selector yolk and making a bias mechanism as the transit shifter is cable operated and the bias mechanism is in the shifter.

I understand they will be fitting and testing it very soon,

we have also been asked if we can fit the 3.2 to the ZF4HP24, thats next weeks project !

Dave Dave
Post #134216 25th Mar 2012 9:10am
ZeDefender

Dave, does the current 3.2 use a DMF?

Incidentally (and sorry for going a bit Off Topic ) do you have any idea what might be causing whole-car juddering with a more "optimistic" remap? It gets worse the higher the gear, at 1500-2000 rpm when I put my foot down and the torque comes in. In my defense, I'm not the only member with this symptom Wink

Apologies if I've asked you this before Embarassed

Cheers
Matt Tell someone you love them today because life is short.
Post #134233 25th Mar 2012 10:29am
big steve

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 HT Montalcino Red
Found some more info out today nene are doing a conversion but I've heard rumours there going to want 10500 + vat all done ? 2015 2.2 tdci hardtop xs
3.2 conversion DONE 238bhp and 707nm torque and thats just the start ;-P
hybrid turbo in build -done ready to fit
ashcroft atb in transfer box
6 speed auto in build
Post #135141 28th Mar 2012 6:37pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
willy eckerslike

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 HCPU Keswick Green
ZeDefender wrote:

Incidentally (and sorry for going a bit Off Topic ) do you have any idea what might be causing whole-car juddering with a more "optimistic" remap? It gets worse the higher the gear, at 1500-2000 rpm when I put my foot down and the torque comes in. In my defense, I'm not the only member with this symptom Wink

Cheers
Matt

Clutch Judder, your springs will fall out eventually. Thumbs Up Original Member Pie n Pea Club.
110 HCPU Tipper
Post #135366 29th Mar 2012 9:52am
bell-auto-services

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Orkney Grey
The engine and modifyed Ashtrans MT82 box is in and fitted to the Nene Overland 3.2 Defender project car allong with the transit clutch to take the power etc. pipework is in progress and the project is looking good and on target for me to start my part in making the thing run Confused . Pictures coming soon.

Pete
Post #135393 29th Mar 2012 11:11am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
ZeDefender

willy eckerslike wrote:
ZeDefender wrote:

Cheers
Matt

Clutch Judder, your springs will fall out eventually. Thumbs Up

Even with the "new" Puma clutch? I REALLY hope you're wrong Sad unless it's withing the next 2 years warranty Whistle
(but thanks anyway) Tell someone you love them today because life is short.
Post #135418 29th Mar 2012 12:19pm
Mark Hope

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 SW Tamar Blue
hi

any more news or pics on this project

pete have u got it yet to do ur thing on it

i am thinking of doing it on my 2.2 next year but dont now about it or the rules of insurance and taxing as emissons are diffrent and more powerfull any one know any thing on this?

thanks for any help
Post #137719 7th Apr 2012 9:15pm
T1G UP

England 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Orkney Grey
bell-auto-services wrote:
The engine and modifyed Ashtrans MT82 box is in and fitted to the Nene Overland 3.2 Defender project car allong with the transit clutch to take the power etc. pipework is in progress and the project is looking good and on target for me to start my part in making the thing run Confused . Pictures coming soon.

Pete

thats cool Pete. can't wait for the results
Post #137729 7th Apr 2012 10:15pm
dgardel

Italy 
bell-auto-services wrote:

Pete

To me to me to me.. Thumbs Up Thumbs Up Thumbs Up Discovery 5 td6 HSE Stornoway Gray Outback Engineering Limited Edition

IID Pro MV License
Post #137744 8th Apr 2012 12:01am
Alive Tuning

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Havana
Has anybody thought about using the 3.2 engine and auto box from the Ford Ranger? The whole assembly and wiring should be fairly straight forward to transplant, and it'll sort the clutch/flywheel issues out too. Maybe I should try it! Wink
Post #137750 8th Apr 2012 12:27am
ZeDefender

... sounds even more interesting - I've decided to get an autobox in a few years anyway Thumbs Up Tell someone you love them today because life is short.
Post #137815 8th Apr 2012 12:04pm
big steve

that could be interesting with the wiring you have to remeber people still want manual
dont get me wrong if the option was possibly there i would maybe go down it but its just once again more wiring things to go wrong i know we have moved on and the td5 and tdci have proved there own but i certainly couldnt justify 4k ish for a 4 speed auto from ashcrofts it just seems like your going backwards every othere car company have 6-7 speed autos not landrover defender
othere thing to consider is its another ecu that need waterproofing ?

gary if you think its worth doing crack on mate but personally i think ill be going 3.2 manual with uprated clutch and flywhee lon a transit gearbox to take the extra ponys

im just waiting for the thing to get on and get working i want it in my truck lol

regards stsve 2015 2.2 tdci hardtop xs
6 speed auto in build
Post #137886 8th Apr 2012 6:29pm
big steve

any more info been put about for this ?

regards steve 2015 2.2 tdci hardtop xs
6 speed auto in build
Post #142431 29th Apr 2012 5:40pm
Mark Hope

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 SW Tamar Blue
Hi to all and sorry for any bad spelling

went down to nene overland a few weeks ago to see the 3.2 in one of there cars and got lots of info so hopefully this will help answer some Question

the engine sits in the same place as the standerd tdci so no cutting of the chassis or bulkhead Thumbs Up but u will have to cut ur coolent hose's as the engine is 4" longer because of the extra cylinder u can use all the same ac pump, power steering punp, altanater and the rest of the standerd car wich makes this convertion cheaper.

i have read what u guys and girls are saying all this power will distroy the standerd box no need to worry as Andy from Nene has used the heavy duty 6speed box from ford and if u dont want a manual and think the 4 speed auto is out dated Andy is working on a 6speed auto to fit wich he says will be ready about september time Thumbs Up

ok i know what u are thinking can we just go and get a 3.2 and throw it in Sad no am afrad not as Andy doese change and move things on the engine to make it fit and run and it is a tight fit. mods to the bonnet, exhaust down pip and ac pump braketall have to be done to get it in.

the power of the standerd 3.2 u all now and has been said but if thats still to little u can have 300HP TDV6 POWER Very Happy

price. well its not cheap to have Nene do the convertion for u would cost about £13,000+, but u can save a little if u dont mind getting ur hands derty as this convertion is going to be avalibul in kit form to, for about £10,000+. But these prices are only estamit's, DO NOT include VAT and may/will change

I hope this helps if u have any questions please ask as i might have mist some stuff out Rolling Eyes sorry
i have pics of the engine in and will try and upload them today

thanks for reading

Mark[/img]
Post #143574 6th May 2012 10:38am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 4 <1234>