↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Puma (Tdci) > Wading plug in a puma???
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Higgers

United Kingdom 2014 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Firenze Red
Wading plug in a puma???
I was at Billing over the weekend with a mate who had a 300tdi. Before tackling the off road course he insisted on buying a new wading plug. Confused

This made me look under my puma to find something similar but i couldn't spot anything.

Is there one and is it that important to use one? I still went through all the water anyway.

P.S. After buying the Rugged Guide on DVD i bought one of his wading blankets/winch sails. It did a brilliant job and the engine bay is relitivley mud free. A solid buy!! Very Happy

Cheers

Ian
Post #13202 21st Jul 2009 10:10pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Eduardo

Chile 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SW Stornoway Grey
I had the same doubt and I asking that to the dealer but the answer was quite vague.

As far as I saw in the Puma instructions there is not wading plug in the Pumas.
300TDi and TD5 Manuals have a reference to the wading plugs.
(maybe I'm wrong Embarassed )

Cheers Eduardo

MY 2007 110 SW PUMA 2.4: Big Fog of 64'
MY 1994 Jayco 1207 Folding camper: "El Tremendo"

Click image to enlarge
Post #13215 22nd Jul 2009 5:04am
Bosun

2008 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Tonga Green
Why should I be suprised that the dealer was a bit vague, that seems to be pretty much par for the course from my experience. It doesn't help when the service manager makes a miriad of excuses why she hasn't driven my Defender to appreciate what I'm complaining about! Doesn't seem to know much about how the vehicle works either, which gives me more than a little cause for concern.
Post #13217 22nd Jul 2009 7:08am
Grockle

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Tonga Green
I'm sorry to say that I'm loosing faith in the dealer network of late Rolling Eyes 2.4 90 XS
1968 1/32 scale Britains 109 Pick up.
Post #13229 22nd Jul 2009 10:17am
alantd

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Tonga Green
Re: Wading plug in a puma???
Higgers wrote:
I was at Billing over the weekend with a mate who had a 300tdi. Before tackling the off road course he insisted on buying a new wading plug. Confused

This made me look under my puma to find something similar but i couldn't spot anything.

Is there one and is it that important to use one? I still went through all the water anyway.

P.S. After buying the Rugged Guide on DVD i bought one of his wading blankets/winch sails. It did a brilliant job and the engine bay is relitivley mud free. A solid buy!! Very Happy

Cheers

Ian

AFAIK you don't need a wading plug on the Puma. I too was at Billing and spoke to Mantec about whether I should be extending my breathers now that I've fitted a snorkel. Their view was not to bother unless I was intending to properly submerge it (up to the side windows).

I think I'll still do it though.

Where did you get the blanket from? I tried to locate it on fleabay as they suggested but couldn't track it down. One that started out as a 2.4 TDCi 110 XS
+ New Defender 110 First Edition
Post #13236 22nd Jul 2009 12:18pm
CapeLandy

South Africa 
The breathers are so high up in the engine bay and with a goosneck so I couldn't see any reason for higher than that. Besides, the drain in the air filter box would probably cause you to stall long before you reached the breathers unless that is plugged when fitting the snorkel. In my opinion the breather would only momentarily create a vacuume when the surrounding water cools the oil in the gearbox or diff and once they have cooled to such an extent that you are as deep as the breather the air pressure inside would be equal to outside and the chances of drawing in water would be less. That's just my humble opinion but not from experience. Funny, my ancient Ser III ball type breathers on the diffs have yet to let in water in all these years Shocked Puma 110 - gone
Series III 1973 - going strong
Post #13258 22nd Jul 2009 8:43pm
niglyn

United Kingdom 2009 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Stornoway Grey
There is no wading plug on a puma.

I asked the dealer the same question. There is no hole for one, none supplied in the tool wallet (where they are stored on the 300) and no mention in the manual.

Interestingly when the gearbox was taken out of my 07, the technician could not believe how much mud & Censored there was inside the bell housing. It had done in the clutch. Apparently it should not have been changed under warrenty as it was caused by paddling in the mud, not manufacturing defect.

Looseing faith in main dealers? I never had any in the first place. They are robbers. My 07, despite them knowing all the problems with it, most of which they could not fix, stuck it up on their forecourt within a few days of my getting shot of it. Selling it under their 'selected vehicles' logo. Shows how they don't give a monkeys about their customers, all they want is our money and are quite happy to rip people off, selling dodgey motors.
Post #13261 22nd Jul 2009 8:55pm
mhasting2004

Australia 2008 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SW Stornoway Grey
Wading plugs and the dumbest thing I've found on my Puma
Hi Niglyn

I just stumbled on something the other day on my fender that still has my head shaking. The tech should not be surprised at all and after reading this you will understand why.

About 3 inches below the output manifold near the bell housing is a small heat shield (which fell off on mine so I was fixing it). This protects what appears to be the crank position sensor from being melted (1st dumb thing... why put it so close to the hot stuff!) Now in the TD5 the sensor was mounted into the bell housing but on our new and improved setups it just into a void in the bell housing big enough to push a marble through. I was a bit surprised that I could see the gear teeth in the flywheel with the heat shield removed. (2nd stupid feature that will allow all sorts of crap to enter the clutch etc). Now getting said heat shield back in place is a job for a contorsionist with a really good sense of humor and a lot of patience... I had little of either by the end. But while lying under the truck swearing my nut off about accessability I notice the lovely drain in the form of a 1" curved slot in the front of the bellhousing to allow that now pulverised marble you droped in the previously described hole to fall out. (stupid idea #3 have a drain which is not plugable)

So face it guys everytime you go playing in water mud and crap it all has an easy route straight into the bell housing.

Now I loved my poor old TD5 and I really like the new Puma but are they f'ning kidding me! Put breathers on a diff, spec it up with a snorkel etc etc yet do something as stupid as allow every bit of s**t to go straight in to the bell housing to turn it into a really expensive blender.

They are going to be changing clutches and input shaft bearings galour in a year or two if we use the truck as it is specified to be able to do.

Honestly this is really basic stuff and someone at LR needs to have a mighty big boot up their ar$Efor this stuff up.
Post #13307 23rd Jul 2009 3:36pm
niglyn

United Kingdom 2009 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Stornoway Grey
As soon as my defender is back from the dealers (they have only had it 4 days so far, to fix all of the faults I found on delivery. So much for a PDI) I shall have a crawl about following your guidance to look for the mud entering hole. I wonder if it will be easy to drill & tap a couple of holes to make a blanking plate.

Unfortunately LR is run by bean counters, not enthusiasts, who in turn employ muppets to build the cars. If they built them properly, just think of the money they would savein warrenty work.

My local independent told me that many of the stealers call the Freelander 'freegrander' as that is how much they make on average per vehicle in warrenty work.
Post #13308 23rd Jul 2009 4:57pm
mhasting2004

Australia 2008 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SW Stornoway Grey
If you look at this thread you will be able to see the large cut out in the bellhousing at the top right of the pick where the sensor sits:
http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic1558.html

And after closer inspection of that pic it appears thatthere is a similar sized cut out on the oppposite side that I was unaware of...Can just see the blue background half way down on the far side.

I thik blanking the bottom would be faily easy however the top looks a bit harder. IMHO if you lank the bottom only you have just made a bucket and thats worse... least it should drain out the way it is.

Cheers
Post #13312 23rd Jul 2009 6:24pm
Bosun

2008 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Tonga Green
Might be worth checking the rear axle breather, I don't think it's as high as the others!
Bosun
Post #13352 24th Jul 2009 11:51am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1