↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Puma (Tdci) > What to get done? Warranty ending
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
stevie

United Kingdom 
What to get done? Warranty ending
Got an 09 plate 90 sw with 20k on the clock that is coming up 3 years old. It's booked in for an mot at land rover next week. Anything they find should be under warranty but what should I ask to be checked or replaced?
List I've come up with so far:
Both mirrors have corrosion starting on the arms
Rear window catches starting to show corrosion
Rear window heater elements not working on the top 3 lines
Driver seat foam collapsed on back rest
I ve asked for the above to be replaced but what else should I be asking for?
Post #119076 27th Jan 2012 8:49pm
pom

tell them the washer fluid is ok but everything else is suspect!

Pom
Post #119077 27th Jan 2012 8:50pm
stevie

United Kingdom 
Laughing
Post #119092 27th Jan 2012 9:17pm
ngarigo

Ireland 2011 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 SW Santorini Black
pom wrote:

Pom

Rolling with laughter Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming...

'Wow...! What a ride!

MY11 90
Post #119170 28th Jan 2012 2:07am
JSG

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Stornoway Grey
pom wrote:

Pom

But check that first - just in case. Mine was low the other day Thumbs Up John

http://www.hampshire4x4response.co.uk

2011 Tdci 110 CSW XS
Post #119204 28th Jan 2012 10:36am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Zagato
Site Supporter

United Kingdom 
Have a really good look around it yourself, check for any bulkhead, capping's, window frame etc rot and any leaks from underneath, swivels, diff, etc. Spend a morning checking everything yourself first Wink
Post #119206 28th Jan 2012 10:44am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
ginjez

2011 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 ST Santorini Black
Have you considered buying an extended warranty. Well worth the money in my opinion especially on our disco 3
Post #119230 28th Jan 2012 12:41pm
K9F

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Stornoway Grey
ginjez wrote:
Have you considered buying an extended warranty. Well worth the money in my opinion especially on our disco 3

At £70 per month you're having a laugh! Rolling with laughter

A few choice quotes from below threads:-

"Even the dealer-service manager- told me not to bother."
"The dealers WILL attempt to lie and cheat their way out of paying up on an extended warranty."
"Yup, I was offered the chance to extend the warranty on both my Disco2 and Defender (seperately) and the cost was absurd - I would have had to have a major breakdown each year to make it worthwhile."

See here:

http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic7586.html?highlight=extended
http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic10345....d+warranty If you go through life with your head in the sand....all people will see is an ar5e!!

Treat every day as if it is your last....one day you will be right!!
Post #119249 28th Jan 2012 2:08pm
bpman

2008 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SVX Station Wagon Santorini Black
> I'm not sure what they are called, but the door-stoppy things (I had 3 replaced from new)
> check heated front (if fitted) and rear wind screens.
> central locking is working ok (solenoids can fail)
> check alarm / immobiliser
> uppy/downy headlight motors still work
> check underseats for dampness and any signs of corrosion
> fog/reversing lights
> rear wash/ wipe working ok

and finally

> front wipers make sure they are not too clonky
Post #119255 28th Jan 2012 2:32pm
Merlin

United Kingdom 
Look at the service bullitens in Topix and see if you want any of them done. Like the heater blowing to hot on the passenger, I wish I had known about that one before the warrenty expired. Check the rear step for rust to.

Merlin
Post #119274 28th Jan 2012 3:44pm
bpman

Merlin wrote:
Look at the service bullitens in Topix and see if you want any of them done. Like the heater blowing to hot on the passenger, I wish I had known about that one before the warrenty expired. Check the rear step for rust to.

Merlin

AFAIK the heater temperature imbalance was LHD only. I've not had it fixed on my MY2010/LHD - would you want a mechanic working against the clock ripping you dash out .. wires, switches and all ? (not me)
Post #119322 28th Jan 2012 6:29pm
MartinK

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Orkney Grey
If I were you - I would not take the car to LR for the MOT, but take it to an independant. I use Dalziels in Edinburgh. They will let me chat to the mechanic whilst the test is ongoing (used the same company for all our family vehicles for several years, so I know all the staff). I would ask the mechanic to be very thorough, and maybe even watch yourself. You'll see a lot more when it's up on the ramps.

My XC70 is 3 years old in April, and I'll be getting the MOT done about 3 weeks before the warranty expires, and asking the mechanic to be thorough. I suspect a worn rear passenger side suspenstion bush somewhere (it clunks ever so slightly) so we'll be having a good thorough look there.

Any MOT fails or (more likely) "Advisories" and you have your shopping-list for the last main stealer service Thumbs Up Defender "Puma" 2.4 110 County Utility (possibly the last of the 2.4's)
Post #119375 28th Jan 2012 8:40pm
stevie

United Kingdom 
The dealer is doing the MOT as they want to find any faults so that they can do the warranty work. So I would think it's in there favour to find any issues so as to be able to do the work. Whatever I can tell them to do will be on top of any problems they find.
That said I've had a good look round today and can't see any obvious signs of any issues. Can only wait and see what the mot flags up.
Post #119403 28th Jan 2012 11:00pm
WelshGas

Wales 2010 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Santorini Black
Quote:
AFAIK the heater temperature imbalance was LHD only. I've not had it fixed on my MY2010/LHD - would you want a mechanic working against the clock ripping you dash out .. wires, switches and all ? (not me)

Sorry bpman, but I must have a good dealership as they dismantled my dashboard to replace all the windscreen wipers running gear - saw it in pieces - but everything was replaced as it should be, no squeaks etc:, everything replaced in the dash cubby holes and the radio was working and programmed on FM1. They apologised that they couldn't re-programme some of the stations on FM2 as they couldn't find the stations, not surprising as they were local stations that couldn't be picked up in Cardiff. I guess they vary a lot but mines seems to be OK. They have even reduced the price of the B service so that they are more competitive with the local independents. LANDYWATCH

Neighbourhood Watch for Land Rover Owners

http://www.landywatch.co.uk/smf2/index.php
Post #119422 29th Jan 2012 12:58am
bpman

WelshGas wrote:
Quote:

Sorry bpman, but I must have a good dealership as they dismantled my dashboard to replace all the windscreen wipers running gear - saw it in pieces - but everything was replaced as it should be, no squeaks etc:, everything replaced in the dash cubby holes and the radio was working and programmed on FM1. They apologised that they couldn't re-programme some of the stations on FM2 as they couldn't find the stations, not surprising as they were local stations that couldn't be picked up in Cardiff. I guess they vary a lot but mines seems to be OK. They have even reduced the price of the B service so that they are more competitive with the local independents.

No need to apoligise, that's great service, I had decided not to bother because I did not want to waste time going to/from the dealers half a dozen times getting it all fixed, got me thinking because the way the temperature is distributed, MrsBPman gets the colder air Sad - care to share the dealers details ?

cheers
bp
Post #119435 29th Jan 2012 9:22am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>