↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > My Defender > What Did You Do In Your Defender Today
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 213 of 1375 <123 ... 212213214 ... 137313741375>
Print this entire topic · 
Pam W

England 1998 Defender 90 Td5 SW Auto Oslo Blue
Finally got my Defender back on the road today, after a month in the drive getting the Td5 put in.

Got as far as the local fuel station when it blew an oil cooler pipe off - pink oil all over the forecourt! The staff were good about it though, and I used their fire bucket sand to mop the worst of it.

Then off we went up to Maddison 4x4 near Thirsk as Patrick Smart had kindly agreed to help us set up the Compushift, even on a Bank Holiday afternoon (Patrick was the first in the UK to start doing the Compushift stuff and then passed it on to Ashcrofts).

Anyway, got there OK and Pat and Dave started on with setting the kick-down points on the autobox and went off on a test run . A little while later Gillian, Pat's missus, got a call saying they'd broken down and could I go up to where they were with the gear oil pump and drum! Alas the pipe had come adrift once more.

Off I went, in Gillian's P38, with transmission oil, which was duly pumped into the autobox (these newere electronic ones fill from a plug on the box, not from a dip stick pipe in the engine bay, unlike the old ZFs). Unfortunately, although they thought they'd got the pipe back on OK, gear oil was pumping onto the floor ! Mopped up with a proper spill kit this time.

So, the P38 had to tow my poor Defender back and it will now need a proper fix before the next test run!
Post #111622 2nd Jan 2012 10:55pm
Gareth

England 
Removed the fold up steps from the 90, dismantled them, Nitromors got the old flaky paint off. Wire brush in a drill to de-rust, 2 coats of Hammerite smooth black. Looking good now.

I removed the rubber treads from the steps, and to be honest they are past their best. They don't appear to be available as a spare, so I thought about riveting some black chequer plate to the steel step. Does anyone know if something like this is available off the shelf before I make some? 2021 Defender 110 X-Dynamic HSE D300 MHEV
1966 S2a 109 aka Betsy
1968 S2a 88 aka Bob
2014 Jaaaag F Type 3.0 Supercharged.
Post #111633 2nd Jan 2012 11:11pm
Pam W

My Defender came home from Maddison 4x4, today, with the oil cooler pipe now fixed. Still bits to do at the weekend before I can get it back to daily driving, but it is getting there! Smile
Post #111852 3rd Jan 2012 10:15pm
bm52

United Kingdom 2014 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Havana
Pam W wrote:
My Defender came home from Maddison 4x4, today, with the oil cooler pipe now fixed. Still bits to do at the weekend before I can get it back to daily driving, but it is getting there! Smile

have you got any pics and will you advise how it drives? BM52
Post #111894 3rd Jan 2012 11:31pm
Pam W

bm52 wrote:
Pam W wrote:

have you got any pics and will you advise how it drives?

Not got any pics at the mo, but can take some at the weekend in daylight - What specifically are you wanting pics of?

The conversion is 3.9 V8 LPG with ZF22 mechanical auto to Td5 with ZF24 electronic auto.

Will update on how it drives over the next couple of weeks as various tweaks get done and I get to put some miles on it. Once I know what it runs like on my usual commuting and weekend runs, performance and mpg-wise I will get it re-mapped, depending on what seems to need sorting.

So far though, for a diseasel, it gets a Thumbs Up - and coming from a dyed in the wool petrol head that says a lot! Smile
Post #111902 4th Jan 2012 12:09am
leeds

United Kingdom 
Pam I hope you are getting a decent size fuel tank fitted as you will be more then 30 miles from a filling station in Oz Razz

Yes I know it will do more then the 11-16 mpg the 100" does.

Brendan
Post #111907 4th Jan 2012 12:50am
Pam W

leeds wrote:
Pam I hope you are getting a decent size fuel tank fitted as you will be more then 30 miles from a filling station in Oz Razz

Yes I know it will do more then the 11-16 mpg the 100" does.

Brendan

Hoping to double my last average mpg on the 90 which was 12 (MAX!). The 5.7 litre in the 100" gets better mpg than my old 3.9 on LPG !

But yeah, Whatever Mr Brew Razz Wink so, yeah, OK, we ran out of petrol on the OBC, even with the 140 litre tank !! At least it was as we were arriving in Broken Hill and not out on a property! Dave blamed it on the rather wayward digital guage that never has read right! lol ...

But yes, we will have the TD5 90 tank at the back which I think is 65 litres and then a standard 90 underseat tank (cheap and it works so why pay more on plastic fancy overland stuff!) which I think is about 55l (?) . A jerry can or 2 may also be stowed to fill up as extra for any bit we need longer range.
Post #111909 4th Jan 2012 1:15am
lrmaniac

Portugal 2010 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Keswick Green
Actually, I didn't DO anything!

But I got this ... Razz

Click image to enlarge

... to be fitted on the weekend!!! Regards
Joao

'10 Land Rover Defender 110 CC
'08 BMW F800GS
'64 SIIA Forward Control
'69 SIIA 109 ZA CKD
Post #111948 4th Jan 2012 10:37am
T1G UP

England 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Orkney Grey
Pam W wrote:
bm52 wrote:
Pam W wrote:

have you got any pics and will you advise how it drives?

Not got any pics at the mo, but can take some at the weekend in daylight - What specifically are you wanting pics of?

The conversion is 3.9 V8 LPG with ZF22 mechanical auto to Td5 with ZF24 electronic auto.

Will update on how it drives over the next couple of weeks as various tweaks get done and I get to put some miles on it. Once I know what it runs like on my usual commuting and weekend runs, performance and mpg-wise I will get it re-mapped, depending on what seems to need sorting.

So far though, for a diseasel, it gets a Thumbs Up - and coming from a dyed in the wool petrol head that says a lot! Smile
have you gone with the uprated TC and disco transfer box Pam?
Post #111949 4th Jan 2012 10:39am
Pam W

[/quote] have you gone with the uprated TC and disco transfer box Pam?[/quote]

I believe we got Ashcrofts to fit the 'medium' TC, but I could be wrong (the other half deals with the technical stuff! )

Using standard Defender transfer box I already had. I used to use a standard Range Rover (classic) viscous one on the old ZF box, but swopped that out for a Defender one to get the manual difflock the last time we did a rebuild (2009-10).
Post #111959 4th Jan 2012 11:11am
T1G UP

ah thats good. withba remap the standard ones struggles to hold onto the engine.

I suppose you'l have decent sized tyres that will take up the gearing difference. Get some pics when she's done
Post #111961 4th Jan 2012 11:19am
leeds

United Kingdom 
T1G if you have a spare five minutes you might want to have a quick read of THIS and THIS Will give you a slight idea of what the dynamic duo gets up to in their spare time Whistle

If you have another spare five minutes or so Rolling with laughter you might see a few photos of the dynamic duo in action here

Pam and DaveW who are they? Nahh I do not know them Razz

Brendan
Post #112008 4th Jan 2012 2:10pm
T1G UP

leeds wrote:
T1G if you have a spare five minutes you might want to have a quick read of THIS and THIS Will give you a slight idea of what the dynamic duo gets up to in their spare time Whistle

If you have another spare five minutes or so Rolling with laughter you might see a few photos of the dynamic duo in action here

Pam and DaveW who are they? Nahh I do not know them Razz

Brendan

I've seen daveWs work, my idea 90, one that can spin its wheels in 3rd.......on tarmac!
Post #112041 4th Jan 2012 4:17pm
leeds

United Kingdom 
Think you will find that was Dave's 100" with the 5.6 V8

Quite interesting to see it in action with the dynamic duo!

Click image to enlarge

Brendan

Admin note: this post has had its images recovered from a money grabbing photo hosting site and reinstated Mr. Green
Post #112049 4th Jan 2012 5:00pm
Pam W

Stop it now, you're making me blush !

Love that pic, though, one of my faves.... xx

(and just for info, it 5.7 litres, not 5.6 - about 410hp hehe)
Post #112082 4th Jan 2012 6:23pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 213 of 1375 <123 ... 212213214 ... 137313741375>