Home > P400e Area (L663) > Rough Idle
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
gcjt

Australia 
Rough Idle
Hey everyone.

I’ve got my first Defender the P400e a couple months ago and it’s been pretty much flawless.

For those familiar the hybrid, you will understand that it’s pretty rare to have the engine idle while stationary as the engine normally shuts off and switches to EV untill you are back up to speed. On the few occasions I have depleted my hybrid battery, the engine has gone to idle while stationary and I have noticed the engine idles fairly rough. Just enough for me to feel it and have the odd shimmy.

Today I was creeping up a slope, just feathering the accelerator pedal, at low speed under engine power and I noticed it was running a bit rough again, almost like it was going to stall.

Any one else felt anything like this? Not sure if this is a Land Rover engine quirk or a sign of something more serious.

Cheers
Post #1049037 18th Oct 2024 5:27am
A1C6

Australia 
How many k's has it done?
Post #1049189 20th Oct 2024 7:54am
gcjt

Australia 
Just passed 5k. Had a good mix of freeway and city driving.
Post #1049195 20th Oct 2024 9:49am
A1C6

Australia 
I see. We used to own a P400 and it didn't seem to be rough. Are you sure weather it's a P300 or P400? I don't think you can get P400e anymore... only P300e.
Post #1049205 20th Oct 2024 11:33am
gcjt

Australia 
Thanks.

In the hybrid P400e it comes with the 2litre 4 cylinder petrol rather than the 6 cylinder in the P400.

Correct, I have one of the last the P400e, although I believe the P300e is same engine but detuned to output less power/emissions.

I never had the chance to test drive any other P400e as they weren't available in my market prior to my order … so I don’t know how smooth the 4 cylinder petrols normally run.

It’s fine at speed, just a little rough on idle and seems to hesitate and stutter when I feather it going up hill at just above idle, eg when parking on an incline.
Post #1049230 20th Oct 2024 4:55pm
jimjamken

United Kingdom 
Hi gcjt, I also get a rough idle on my p400e (definitely the 400bhp). I've had it since May and only notice it when it's the first time idling on the ICE - almost like the timing is out! Not sure if it's just part of the normal running of the engine when it suddenly gets worked after the electric runs out.
Post #1049329 21st Oct 2024 3:26pm
mlambton

United Kingdom 
I have the P400e MY24 with 3k miles. I would say I get some fluttering on idle too. I also occasionally get a surge from standstill (revs going above idle speed) when the engine is cold and in hybrid mode 2024 L663 110 Defender P400e Carpathian Grey
2015 Range Rover L405 SDV8 AB Corris grey
2010 Range Rover TDV6 HSE Narra Bronze sold
2006 Discovery 3 SE green sold
Defender 90 td5 sold
Defender 90 soft top sold
Post #1049350 21st Oct 2024 6:10pm
gcjt

Australia 
jimjamken wrote:
Hi gcjt, I also get a rough idle on my p400e (definitely the 400bhp). I've had it since May and only notice it when it's the first time idling on the ICE - almost like the timing is out! Not sure if it's just part of the normal running of the engine when it suddenly gets worked after the electric runs out.

Interesting, this sounds like what I have experienced. Good point… maybe the engine was still cold. Whole him had been driving a while, the engine had only started a couple mins prior as before that I was driving in EV mode until the battery ran out. I will have to try and do an idle test after the engine is well and truly heated up.
Post #1049372 21st Oct 2024 9:08pm
gcjt

Australia 
mlambton wrote:
I have the P400e MY24 with 3k miles. I would say I get some fluttering on idle too. I also occasionally get a surge from standstill (revs going above idle speed) when the engine is cold and in hybrid mode

Sounds like we are all in the same boat and this is a characteristic of the 4 cylinder!

I think I’ve had the engine surge a couple times also. It’s a shock dealing with the quirks of the engine after being in EV mode for a while, EV is so smooth and refined.
Post #1049374 21st Oct 2024 9:13pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1