↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Faults & Fixes (L663) > Trailer Light Control Module - Bricked L663 on the trail
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
H1Tad

United States 
Trailer Light Control Module - Bricked L663 on the trail
Thankfully not my L663, but another one at a local offroad event called "The Pilgrimage" where an L663 (of unknown specification) basically broke down on the trail. Brakes were apparently locked up solid, vehicle wouldn't start and screens were unresponsive.

All due to a defective/damaged trailer controller module according to the dealer. Amazing to me that 1) There's a computer that has to "control" the trailer lights and 2) that it being damaged/defective could essentially disable the vehicle completely?

My Question is: Is there a "limp home" mode or a "ignore what the computers are saying" mode to get the vehicle out of the way and back to pavement where the flatbed can be called in? Would a battery disconnect/reconnect work? 2022 Defender 110 SE P400 Tasman Blue Expedition and Cold weather package
2003 Hummer H1 P400 Firehouse Red
2008 Toyota FJ Cruiser
Post #1048646 14th Oct 2024 4:13pm
o-ren-ishii

Netherlands 
Interesting question!

I had similar issues far far far away from civilization. It started with getting stuck in deep mud/on a ledge, leading to "electrical error please stop safely". I'm not really sure if the problems are identical because I think my cause was a charger/second battery / dc-dc errors (and many more) resulting in an empty battery resulting in even more errors. One of them was a continues beeping from the electrical trailer hitch deployment panel in the back.

At first I didn't manage to salve the car and it was stuck in nomansland for a few days. No way for a flatbed to reach the place. But later when I wanted to pull the car out with help of another car I ran into this: https://www.defender2.net/forum/topic93574.html
Basically the car without power is a fricking 3,5ton anchor. You cannot pull it due to the gear being in park. And releasing the back mounted parking brakes is a major PITA but managable (if you have the right tools which are NOT in a normal toolkit, haven't found the "star"-bit yet).

Nobody at JLR could provide me with an answer about the 'park to neutral' lever being gone and what you can do in these situations. I've asked many many people.
Post #1048771 15th Oct 2024 6:18pm
TexasRover

France 2002 Defender 110 Td5 DCPU Chawton White
Well, here comes the old man brigade.. all this new fangled stuff is nothing but trouble. I know times move on, but you know a few months ago I was in some dark corner of Angola in a hotel when the power and internet failed. Really leaves you with very little else than reading a book.. for a few days. I know not relevant because we are so used to things just working, but when they don't you find simple things are actually better.

If I was to cross say Australia, I probably rather drive something simple and bomb proof.. e.i. not a modern Landrover product. They are designed for domestic settings with internet connections and digital support a phone call away.
Post #1048775 15th Oct 2024 7:23pm
lightning

United Kingdom 
lf only the new Defender or Grenadier could be specified with a manual gearbox. And a proper mechanical handbrake that you pull up to engage.

Both are fitted to our 2020 Jimny, so it's still possible.
Post #1048777 15th Oct 2024 7:42pm
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
The Grenadier does have a proper old-fashioned handbrake, not one of these stupid and unnecessary electric ones. I believe it has a reasonably simple mechanical park release on the gearbox as well.

It's no wonder that the traffic wombles hate electric parking brakes. Image 3.5 tonnes of immobile car in lane 2 of the M1 in rush hour.
Post #1048780 15th Oct 2024 7:56pm
lightning

United Kingdom 
Well that's one big advantage that the Grenadier has then. You don't want an Overlander that can brick itself and be immovable in the middle of nowhere.

Surely
The door is open for an aftermarket supplier to produce a kit for disabling the brakes on a Defender in these circumstances.
Or some sort of remote add-on to enable the release lever to be operated from the cab.
Post #1048804 15th Oct 2024 10:33pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1