↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > General & Technical (L663) > All season vs All terrain tyres
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 3 of 4 <1234>
Print this entire topic · 
Crazymind

United Kingdom 
Tuesday I have taken an offer online and got the defender 4 Geolander AT tyres.
Received them today. Looking good, not good as the BF Goodrich though…. I have had the white Oem steels powder coated in black and tomorrow the Geolander will go on the steels. I will report on first impressions in the next few days…
Not a cheap choice at the end of the day. Steels were 200 quid. Powder coating 360 and tyres 536.
Total 1096 imperial squids.
Steels had new delivery miles Michelin tyres on. I went to France and back and removed them. Maybe I can make 100 quid back on gumtree.
Post #1048185 9th Oct 2024 9:32pm
Moo

Ukraine 
Four? No spare?

Anyway, interested to see the finished set up. Thumbs Up Eiger Grey MY23 D250 SE with bits. Known as Noddy.

Last edited by Moo on 9th Oct 2024 9:52pm. Edited 1 time in total
Post #1048187 9th Oct 2024 9:41pm
Crazymind

United Kingdom 
I’ll post some photos when ready!

No spare, didn’t even think about it 😂. I’ll use the 20” alloy…
Post #1048188 9th Oct 2024 9:47pm
Trafask2024

United Kingdom 
Soup Dragon wrote:
https://www.defender2.net/forum/topic89700.html

Useful comparison diagram

Really useful, thanks!
Post #1048202 10th Oct 2024 7:21am
DaveCNB

United States 
(Oops, posted twice somehow and couldn't figure out how to delete, see next post for what I meant to say) --------------------------------

"Chonky" 2024 Defender 110 X-Dynamic SE P400, Pangea Green, Air Suspension, Off Road Pack, Urban Pack (exposed recovery points), Factory Side Steps

Last edited by DaveCNB on 11th Oct 2024 7:33am. Edited 1 time in total
Post #1048319 11th Oct 2024 7:19am
DaveCNB

United States 
Just a single data point to add to the discussion. 2022 D110 P400, air suspension, basic factory off road package w/ factory rear LSD and 20" LR Factory option Wrangler "AT" tires.

These worked great on mild-moderate CA off road trails and fire roads in the Sierras, loose, sandy desert roads out at Joshua Tree as well as minor rock crawling obstacles. I easily kept up and kept pace with friends in fully lifted/rigged 35" tire Rubicons who had aired down to less than 15 PSI. I didn't bother to air down from 48/50 PSI at all and I think I was still way more comfortable across washboards on the LR Air suspension than they were lol.

2 winter ski seasons in the Eastern Sierras and no issues at all on plowed and unplowed roads, even in 12-18" fresh snow over ice on unplowed roads in Mammoth Lakes CA. LR's smarty pants traction control systems make the reputedly mediocre Wrangle AT factory option tires totally workable from my experience. Some of the other cars in our group--Land Cruisers, 4Runners TRD Pro's, Tacomas all with better tires like Falkens and BFG KO2's had more trouble in the snow than we did actually.

Also, not that it rains a whole lot here in So Cal, but when it does, folks drive like absolute morons. The seldom wetted roads are slick (from all the accumulated oils that come to the surface w/ the new rains) and significant water accumulation from poor drainage. I did not experience any hydroplaning at all with this setup at highway speeds > 70 mph or even when we went intentionally hunting for deep undrained puddles and standing water to....sploosh for fun. Much of that I'm sure is due to the fact that the car is so dammed massive/heavy. Tracking, handling, braking in the wet was fine.

YMMV but I think that if you're sensible and drive within your limits, even the factory Wrangle AT tires combined w/ LR's fantastic traction control/terrain response computer wizardry will take you pretty far. --------------------------------

"Chonky" 2024 Defender 110 X-Dynamic SE P400, Pangea Green, Air Suspension, Off Road Pack, Urban Pack (exposed recovery points), Factory Side Steps
Post #1048320 11th Oct 2024 7:21am
steam_simon

The current issue I have is that none of the tyres currently available as LR tyres (Continental/Pirelli/Goodyear AT) have the 3PMSF rating. They’re all M&S but that’s no longer acceptable as 3PMSF is now a legal requirement in most Alpine Countries and I’ve heard the French and Austrians are enforcing this more rigorously from 2025.

If you’ve 19” rims then the only available tyre is General Grabber AT. Anyone got experience of these? There’s a lot more choice if you have 18” or 20” rims…..
Post #1048437 12th Oct 2024 9:14am
Crazymind

United Kingdom 
In theory I have found more for 18” and 20”. However availability in Europe is zero.
Of the 5 best reviewed AT 3 peaks tyres I have found availability for BF Goodrich and Yokohama only in UK.
I think it’s difficult to market 3 peaks AT tyres in Europe more than it is in The rest of the World.
3 peaks mandatory in Europe from November to March (at least on motorway).
Many years ago we were told we needed winter tyres and we had to buy 2 sets of wheels as well. Then the appearance of the all weather tyres got us thinking this was the solution. I was thinking as well all seasons are 3 peaks rated. Pirelli Zero all season LR marked on my defender are not 3 peaks rated! Just discovered this a few days ago… didn’t even think of checking… before reading this tread.
Now I a want to try for the winter the Geolander 3 peaks rated. Need them at least to drive to the Alps this winter… and some mild off roading in the Highlands…
Post #1048440 12th Oct 2024 9:31am
steam_simon

In fact the ONLY 3PMSF rated tyre for 19" rims that are not specific winter tyres appears to be the General Grabber AT.

There are Winter Tyres available that are 3PMSF in the 19" rim, but then I'd have to have 3 sets of wheels Crying or Very sad

I guess it's going to be General Grabber AT for the Alps in Winter and off-road and the Continentals the Defender came with for summer.

My wife won't let me buy anymore wheels. She's the sensible one in the family. Very Happy
Post #1048441 12th Oct 2024 10:03am
Zed

United Kingdom 2010 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Santorini Black
Your wife won’t let you buy any more wheels? You need to act like a real man and get them delivered to work and then hide them away when she’s not looking. WARNING.
This post may contain sarcasm.
Post #1048442 12th Oct 2024 10:07am
Landy240

United Kingdom 
steam_simon wrote:
The current issue I have is that none of the tyres currently available as LR tyres (Continental/Pirelli/Goodyear AT) have the 3PMSF rating. They’re all M&S but that’s no longer acceptable as 3PMSF is now a legal requirement in most Alpine Countries and I’ve heard the French and Austrians are enforcing this more rigorously from 2025.

I think France need 3PMSF tyres but not all alpine countries.

We are driving to the Austrian alps in Feb and have the standard Pirellis. The Austrian requirements are for 'winter tyres' and they include those marked with M&S in this definition (as the Pirellis are) What is also interesting is that they appear only to require winter tyres in 'wintery conditions' which they define as the road being covered in snow, ice or sludge - and in said wintery conditions you can actually drive in dedicated summer tyres as long as you use chains.

It is a similar situation in Italy. Sometimes we rent a car in Milan and drive up to the Brenta Dolomites. Pretty much every hire car in Italy is on summers for obvious reasons - but if you let them know you are driving to the mountains they will give you a set of chains.

Perhaps France have a similar rule? I don't know as we never ski in France.

Here are the rules for Austria anyway

https://www.oesterreich.gv.at/en/themen/mo...63100.html
Post #1048585 14th Oct 2024 6:36am
Landy240

United Kingdom 
Crazymind wrote:
In theory I have found more for 18” and 20”. However availability in Europe is zero.
Of the 5 best reviewed AT 3 peaks tyres I have found availability for BF Goodrich and Yokohama only in UK.
I think it’s difficult to market 3 peaks AT tyres in Europe more than it is in The rest of the World.
3 peaks mandatory in Europe from November to March (at least on motorway).
Many years ago we were told we needed winter tyres and we had to buy 2 sets of wheels as well. Then the appearance of the all weather tyres got us thinking this was the solution. I was thinking as well all seasons are 3 peaks rated. Pirelli Zero all season LR marked on my defender are not 3 peaks rated! Just discovered this a few days ago… didn’t even think of checking… before reading this tread.
Now I a want to try for the winter the Geolander 3 peaks rated. Need them at least to drive to the Alps this winter… and some mild off roading in the Highlands…

Hi - I'm replying to you directly as hopefully you will be notified before you go out and buy a new set of tyres. As in the reply to Simon above, it is not as simple as all Alpine countries needing 3 peaks. It's not a bad thing to have them but they are not required everywhere & all the time.

Enjoy the drive!
Post #1048586 14th Oct 2024 6:42am
steam_simon

Landy240 is right regarding Austria - you only need M&S. My bad. But for France you do need 3PMSF or carry snowchains from 1st November. When driving to the Alps I always carry snowchains but they are a slight faff to put on, and as I have to replace my AT tyres anyway then it makes sense to change to a 3PMSF labelled set.

Whether LR will change their standard tyres to ones with a 3PMSF label remains to be seen. But currently it appears a new Defender will not be legal in the French Alps, Corsica and Massif Central unless chains are carried in winter.

Details here (French) - http://www.securite-routiere.gouv.fr/chacu...e/nouveaux
Post #1048594 14th Oct 2024 9:00am
Crazymind

United Kingdom 
It’s not just the 3 peaks. m+S don’t perform very well in snow unless it soft and “fresh”. AT tyres on frozen snow don’t do much. 3 peaks are better with below zero temperatures.
Post #1048600 14th Oct 2024 10:18am
cyberhusky

Luxembourg 
In Luxembourg M&S tyres are enough in winter conditions. I do use Toyo Open Country A/T tyres (the brans used on Paris Dakar races) with the M&S symbol. I drove the Tunnel du Parpaillon trail in the French Maritime Alps 2 times with these tyres with my Defender fully loaded. I drove about 50000 km with one set of tyres. No problems at all.

Though I could never really tried the Toyo tyres on snow as snow was only 3 days here in Luxembourg last winter.

In Germany no other tyres than 3PMSF are allowed in winter conditions. 22MY Defender 110 (actual) | 10MY Freelander 2 (history) | 15MY Discovery Sport HSE (history)
Post #1048714 15th Oct 2024 8:46am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 3 of 4 <1234>