↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > General & Technical (L663) > All season vs All terrain tyres
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
Trafask2024

United Kingdom 
All season vs All terrain tyres
Few questions for the knowledgeable on here: are all terrain tyres materially better in wintry conditions compared to all season? For those who have specced their Defender with the all terrain tyres (that JLR provide), have you noticed louder tyre noise on motorways etc? Is fuel economy impacted on all terrain compared to all season?

Many thanks in advance! I have a short window of opportunity to change the spec on the MY2025 I’ve ordered and am having a last minute wobble about the tyres!
Post #1047420 1st Oct 2024 9:59pm
Moo

Ukraine 
I drive in all conditions across Europe and the UK over different terrains. I did have the standard Michelins on but switched to the Goodyear AT which have now done 31000 miles in 18months. I've not noticed any major difference in road holding, braking etc but fuel consumption is down 8%, but I'm not worried about that.

They suit my needs and look better is about as scientific as I get. Thumbs Up Eiger Grey MY23 D250 SE with bits. Known as Noddy.
Post #1047425 1st Oct 2024 11:25pm
Crazymind

United Kingdom 
IMHO, long story short: all season are better in wet and dry condition, quieter and more fuel efficient.
All terrain: they handle much better dirt and mud and harsh conditions. They wear out faster on road, in my experience poor in wet condition, noisy and not fuel efficient on road. Lookin better under the defender.
I ended up with 2 sets, one all season and one for those fun days…
Post #1047429 2nd Oct 2024 7:41am
lightning

United Kingdom 
l changed to the Wrangler A/T's earlier this year. l haven't noticed any increase in noise from the tyres

Fuel economy might be down a couple of MPG. However l found that the standard fit tyres were hopeless in mud or on fields, when it was wet. l nearly got stuck twice.

ln this respect the Wrangler A/T's are considerably better. l also think they look better on the vehicle, although this is purely subjective.
Post #1047430 2nd Oct 2024 7:44am
Trafask2024

United Kingdom 
Thanks all! For ice/snow am I right that all terrain won’t be significantly better than all season (and I would be better off investing in winter tyres for that)?
Post #1047431 2nd Oct 2024 8:06am
lrFFM

Germany 2016 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 SW Keswick Green
All terrain tyres are usually a lot worse in snow/ice conditions than all weather tyres.
All terrain tyres are not made for snow unless they have the 3 peaks/snowflake symbol.
Post #1047433 2nd Oct 2024 8:23am
TexasRover

France 2002 Defender 110 Td5 DCPU Chawton White
Trafask2024 wrote:
Thanks all! For ice/snow am I right that all terrain won’t be significantly better than all season (and I would be better off investing in winter tyres for that)?

All season or better still proper winter tires are a completely different design, different material and have a completely different objective than AT. Proper winter tires are for road use and giving you a much better chance at handling snow and ice on roads (driving style being more important).

Also once on a snowy or worse icy roads with a bit of speed involved, having a tall, heavy, lumbering 4x4 is not going to be your friend.

Age of the tires is also a massive factor in how they perform on ice
Post #1047448 2nd Oct 2024 9:56am
Trafask2024

United Kingdom 
Thanks TexasRover, that’s useful to know - I am completely ignorant of these things so this thread has been very helpful. I’m planning a couple of trips to wintry climes so sounds like I just need to invest in winter tyres and keep the all seasons on the rest of the year (it’s very unlikely I’ll be doing proper off-roading anytime soon so AT tyres would seem a waste of money).
Post #1047466 2nd Oct 2024 1:16pm
Crazymind

United Kingdom 
With your scenario you’ll be fine with all season, either Pirelli scorpion or Michelin cross climate.
Post #1047467 2nd Oct 2024 1:22pm
haymeister

Japan 
You'll be surprised how good a decent all-season tyre is in the snow. For the UK you don't need a full winter tyre.

Tyre reviews have done a great video on winter vs all season vs all weather vs all terrain.
 22MY Defender 110 D300 S in Pangea Green and Contrast White Roof
IG defender_japan "Hulk san"
Post #1047473 2nd Oct 2024 2:08pm
Trafask2024

United Kingdom 
Crazymind wrote:
With your scenario you’ll be fine with all season, either Pirelli scorpion or Michelin cross climate.

Well that’s good news, thanks! Do you know what brand and model all seasons JLR provide with the new Defenders?
Post #1047479 2nd Oct 2024 2:52pm
Crazymind

United Kingdom 
Pirelli scorpion or Michelin Latitude.
I like them both. The latitude gives a bit more comfortable ride and slightly less noisy.
Post #1047480 2nd Oct 2024 2:58pm
lightning

United Kingdom 
l've not tried the Goodyear Wranglers on the snow and ice yet, although they performed well in torrential rain and flooded roads.
Post #1047488 2nd Oct 2024 3:42pm
TexasRover

France 2002 Defender 110 Td5 DCPU Chawton White
If you want to go proper Nordic experience I recommend Nokian Tyres Hakkapeliitta

You can get them without pigg (studs) and they are good! Can't beat the studded piggdekk on ice but that's not allowed outside Norway/Sweden/Finland
Post #1047493 2nd Oct 2024 4:30pm
H1Tad

United States 
I have to drive in snow and ice about 6 months out of the year (sigh, that time is approaching quickly).

All Terrains that are "3-peak" rated with the snowflake emblem on them are more than adequate - especially with the JLR traction control computers - to tackle slick road surfaces. Within reason of course. Sometimes we get ice storms here where up to an inch of solid ice will coat the road surfaces - and until the sand and salt trucks come by and either melt it off or lay enough sand on top of it - nothing is getting through there without studded tires.... which we put on our cars starting in November. Wife's Accord snow tires pictured:

Click image to enlarge

If the A/T tire isn't 3-peak rated then look at the traction pads on the tire. If there are at least two sipes in each pad then that is a tire that is at least somewhat capable in the slick stuff. The softness of the rubber compound when in cold temperatures is a big determination as to how it will work. I look forward to seeing how our new Defender and its factory Goodyears handle our northeast winters. If its not as sure-footed as my FJ Cruiser, I'll be looking to swap them out.

You want an exciting experience that will make you check that your life insurance policy is up to date? Drive in the snow with mud terrain tires in a vehicle with no traction control or ABS. It's a religious experience. 2022 Defender 110 SE P400 Tasman Blue Expedition and Cold weather package
2003 Hummer H1 P400 Firehouse Red
2008 Toyota FJ Cruiser
Post #1047494 2nd Oct 2024 4:37pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>