↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > General & Technical (L663) > Defender Sport?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
Print this entire topic · 
lightning

United Kingdom 
"Defender can’t match the Discos practicality"

ln what way? The 90 maybe, but my friend swapped his Disco 4 for a Defender 110 and hasn't complained about any shortcomings.

They've got a large caravan and three substantial dogs.
Post #1048289 10th Oct 2024 7:53pm
J77

Scotland 
Disco 4s boot bigger, even the 5 has a bigger boot. It can seat 7 adults in comfort, the 110 can’t, you need the much larger 130.

The Disco 3/4 is probably the best all round Land Rover there is.

It was just a well packaged vehicle

Click image to enlarge
 24MY 90 D250 HSE, Tasman Blue
23.5MY 90 D250 X-Dynamic SE, Pangea Green - Gone
22MY 110 D250 XS Edition, Hakuba Silver - Gone
21MY 90 D200 S, Tasman Blue - Gone
Post #1048294 10th Oct 2024 7:58pm
Crazymind

United Kingdom 
Disco 5 lacks the king of the road driving position and the shared dashboard design of the disco sport brings it down. And if you need the same comfort and even more boot the 130 is a better option.
I can’t really see where the disco 6 would seat in the Land Rover line. Really struggle.
Post #1048295 10th Oct 2024 8:18pm
90 Dreamer

United Kingdom 2016 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 HT Corris Grey
Sorry the new Defender or RR Sport seem to be more about current fashion than actually practical vehicles…..no real interest in (m)any modern vehicles but out of LR’s current range then the Disco5 is the “winner”….
Post #1048296 10th Oct 2024 8:30pm
Crazymind

United Kingdom 
Wow! I don’t understand when I read the new defender is not practical!
I find it very practical and pragmatic! Great with kids. Easy to clean, can get in with muddy welly boots.
Best tow truck around! Can pull 3.5 tonne like nothing else! Great miles muncher, good for kids school runs and skiing holidays. Can’t really fault it in terms of practicality.
Post #1048301 10th Oct 2024 8:42pm
90 Dreamer

United Kingdom 2016 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 HT Corris Grey
Not owned but having driven both 4&5 Disco’s then what does the new Def do that they didn’t??
Just more complexity for the sake of it as far as I can see??
Post #1048302 10th Oct 2024 9:04pm
lightning

United Kingdom 
Well, customers are still queuing up to buy new Defenders with a waiting list and it's been in production four years.

So, whatever you think of it, the new Defender is a success.

Buyers want the essence of an adventure vehicle but most will
never actually use the capabilities.
That's why most new Defenders are on 22" alloys and all in black, pretty much the worst colour for a vehicle used off road.

lf Land Rover had produced a new "old" Defender on the lines of the Grenadier, l wonder how many they would have sold.
Personally l wish they had, l would have been first in the queue. But would it have been such a success for them, like the new Defender has?

Last edited by lightning on 11th Oct 2024 5:04pm. Edited 1 time in total
Post #1048310 10th Oct 2024 11:20pm
lrFFM

Germany 2016 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 SW Keswick Green
I used to own a Discovery 4 and now drive a Defender 110. I would never switch back. For me the new Defender is a much better vehicle in every aspect.
Post #1048333 11th Oct 2024 11:01am
ruben

Spain 
I also went from a D3 to the new 110, it is the logical step I think, and I maintain that the concept is the same, although it is unfair to say that the Defender is better, and it really is! but it is logical because it has a 20-year advantage, they are different but equivalent cars! I think! Defender 110 SE I6 D 23MY
Post #1048354 11th Oct 2024 2:11pm
CincyRovers1

United States 
I had an LR4 (D4), a D5 and currently drive an L663 110. I'd say the L663 is the best out of the three, but the interior packaging of the D4 and D5 is vastly superior to my 110. In fact, the D4 has the best use of interior space than any mid/large SUV out there, with the exception of the full-sized Suburbans, Yukons, Expeditions etc. that are so popular here in the US. There isn't a ton of cargo space. behind the second row of the L663. The cargo area of the D4 and D5 is noticeably deeper. Also, the D4 has a significantly larger opening than the L663.

The D4 is probably my favorite Land Rover. It was the last of the old-school, body-on-frame design, but the Integrated Body Frame construction allowed it drive, steer and handle like a luxury car. The interior was more luxurious than the L663 and it still had most of the modern features you'd come to expect in a brand new car. The 5.0 naturally aspirated V8 was fantastic, and it moved the nearly 6000 lb. truck quickly. I averaged about 14 US MPG, but I didn't care. It was an excellent vehicle, and I got rid of it when I took delivery of my Defender. I shouldn't have sold it, it was in immaculate condition, relatively low miles and mechanically sound. I had to get rid of it because I had nowhere to store it.

Overall, I think the D5 is a better family SUV than the Defender - including the 130. The side hinged tailgate isn't as practical, and the third row in both the 110 and 130 isn't as spacious or comfortable as the D5, and in both the D4 and D5 you could fit seven adults in comfort. You can't do that in a 110 or 130. Plus, the D5 is more luxurious and slightly more refined than the Defender, while offering 90% of the capability (when properly equipped).

For most people, the D5 is probably the better choice, but the Defender is by far more desirable, better looking and slightly more capable off-road. Also, the D5 still has the adjustable armrests, while the Defender doesn't have them unless you get the 130 with the rear captain's chairs. While I prefer to drive my Defender, I seriously miss my D5 - especially the Aintree Green paint, which was only offered the first year, and less than a hundred were brought over to the US in that color. I originally intended to order one in this color, but it was too late. Luckily my salesman found one with almost everything we wanted and traded it with one of their vehicles on the lot and had it shipped to my dealer from out of state.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge
 𝟐𝟎𝟐𝟏 𝐃𝐞𝐟𝐞𝐧𝐝𝐞𝐫 𝟏𝟏𝟎 𝐒 𝐏𝟑𝟎𝟎 (Pangea Green over Acorn/Lunar)
𝟐𝟎𝟐𝟑 𝐏𝐨𝐫𝐬𝐜𝐡𝐞 𝐌𝐚𝐜𝐚𝐧 𝐒 (Dolomite Silver over Black/Bordeaux Red)
𝟐𝟎𝟏𝟕 𝐃𝐢𝐬𝐜𝐨𝐯𝐞𝐫𝐲 𝐇𝐒𝐄 𝐋𝐮𝐱𝐮𝐫𝐲 𝐒𝐢𝟔 (Aintree Green over Vintage Tan/Ebony) - Gone
𝟐𝟎𝟏𝟏 𝐋𝐑𝟒 𝐇𝐒𝐄 𝟓.𝟎 (Ipanema Sand over Almond/Arabica) - Gone

Last edited by CincyRovers1 on 11th Oct 2024 5:55pm. Edited 2 times in total
Post #1048369 11th Oct 2024 3:06pm
CincyRovers1

United States 
lightning wrote:
There's been no word from Land Rover themselves about the new "smaller Defender" it's all hearsay in car magazines.
And no updates since Summer 2023.

So who knows. You'd think Land Rover would have put out some teasers if they were planning to launch the vehicle "in 2027" as the magazines predict.

Car magazines always have inside information. They get it from chief engineers, PR people as well as executives, but since it is confidential information, they can't say who told them. I wouldn't say it is hearsay. And usually, you'd be seeing prototypes at proving grounds or public roads, but nowadays lots of development work is done on simulators, and you won't see test mules until maybe a year or two before production starts. Automakers will start teasing products usually six months to a year before a reveal date is set. There have been exceptions, of course, but this is the new norm. 𝟐𝟎𝟐𝟏 𝐃𝐞𝐟𝐞𝐧𝐝𝐞𝐫 𝟏𝟏𝟎 𝐒 𝐏𝟑𝟎𝟎 (Pangea Green over Acorn/Lunar)
Post #1048372 11th Oct 2024 4:01pm
H1Tad

United States 
The problem with the D5 over here in the states has been, and always will be - that they looked too similar to the Ford Explorer on the road.

When you buy a status symbol vehicle like a LR, how it looks is a huge factor and if your neighbors that all drive Mercedes and Audis (literally my neighborhood sadly) to be seen in a Ford Explorer - well, that just won't do. I'll totally agree with the sentiment that the cargo area of the 110 is severely lacking compared to most "mid sized" SUV's. I was actually shocked how little room there was back there. My wife and I were barely able to fit all of our stuff for our week long beach vacation in it.

But, there's the inescapable "Rule of Cool" and the Discovery in its latest generation just didn't have it due to exterior styling.

Given JLR's new strategy as far as turning each of their model lines into brand names under which new models will presumably be released - it wouldn't surprise me to see a "Defender Sport". They sell Defenders over here like hotcakes and a stripped-down, de-featured version would likely do very well as long as it wasn't electric. I would say it would compete nicely against the Wrangler and Bronco, but both of those are getting up there in pricing where they are almost competing with the current base models Defenders. 2022 Defender 110 SE P400 Tasman Blue Expedition and Cold weather package
2003 Hummer H1 P400 Firehouse Red
2008 Toyota FJ Cruiser
Post #1048377 11th Oct 2024 4:43pm
CincyRovers1

United States 
You are not wrong; the design is the D5's weakest point. I think overall the design is handsome, but the off-center license plate looks bad. I got used to it quickly, though. It has no reason to have it, as it no longer has the split tailgate. But yes, it does have a few similar design cues to an Explorer.

I was the only one in my subdivision that had a D5, and I'll probably be the only one who will ever have one. One of our good friends in the neighborhood thought our D5 was an Explorer. Hell, one of the members of the local Land Rover club thought my D5 was an Explorer, as he hadn't seen one before. By far the most popular vehicles in my neighborhood are BMW X5, X7, 5 Series; Mercedes GLE, GLS, S-Class; Tesla Model S/X and Escalades. There are a few JLR products around, but everyone has a full-size Range Rover, a Range Rover Sport and there are a few LR4s left, too. We were the first ones to get an LR4 in my neighborhood and within a few years, multiple neighborhood friends had one, and the people across the street from me had one, too. There was one person in my neighborhood who got one of the first Defenders when it came out back in the summer of 2020, but they have since moved. I was the second and so far the only other Defender owner in my neighborhood.[/quote] 𝟐𝟎𝟐𝟏 𝐃𝐞𝐟𝐞𝐧𝐝𝐞𝐫 𝟏𝟏𝟎 𝐒 𝐏𝟑𝟎𝟎 (Pangea Green over Acorn/Lunar)
Post #1048386 11th Oct 2024 5:51pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12