↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Puma (Tdci) > Transfer gearbox hot after motorway drive & new mt82 out
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 3 <123>
Print this entire topic · 
andy63

United Kingdom 
Well I was thinking if you had trained as a gynecologist, you might stand a chance😁
Post #1048165 9th Oct 2024 7:00pm
Caterham

England 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Stornoway Grey
Randlover wrote:
Can't be done can it no way

of course it can - take the engine and gearbox out Rolling with laughter

(no malice intended Thumbs Up )
Post #1048214 10th Oct 2024 10:12am
Linds Hanson

United Kingdom 
Re: Transfer gearbox hot after motorway drive & new mt82
andy63 wrote:
Linds Hanson wrote:
Randlover wrote:
How normal or abnormal is it for motorway driving circa 40 miles at 70mph (not towing)
Just had the mt82 output shaft kit replaced with new oem
(Old was fine at 107k crazy heh?!)
And a frame ball joint - assuming this is what had solved my clunk sounds

Stopped for some fuel and could smell something was warm - popped underneath and transfer box felt hot not scalding but hot- I did all Fluids about 2 months ago nothing scary in any of them nor were they that dirty. How much oil will they have likely lost replacing the mt82 output shaft? They said they replaced 2x felt seals on some drive "members" while in there also?! Maybe just the newness πŸ˜†
The transfer box doesn't need to be removed to change the output shaft so the oil doesn't have to be drained or lost. Obviously you would expect the level to be checked as a matter of course on completion of the job.

Have you actually done the gearbox output shaft with the transfare box in place...??πŸ€”πŸ˜³

Last edited by Linds Hanson on 10th Oct 2024 11:12am. Edited 3 times in total
Post #1048215 10th Oct 2024 10:38am
Linds Hanson

United Kingdom 
andy63 wrote:
Well I was thinking if you had trained as a gynecologist, you might stand a chance😁
Post #1048216 10th Oct 2024 10:41am
Linds Hanson

United Kingdom 
[quote="Linds Hanson"]
andy63 wrote:
Linds Hanson wrote:
Randlover wrote:
How normal or abnormal is it for motorway driving circa 40 miles at 70mph (not towing)

Stopped for some fuel and could smell something was warm - popped underneath and transfer box felt hot not scalding but hot- I did all Fluids about 2 months ago nothing scary in any of them nor were they that dirty. How much oil will they have likely lost replacing the mt82 output shaft? They said they replaced 2x felt seals on some drive "members" while in there also?! Maybe just the newness πŸ˜†
The transfer box doesn't need to be removed to change the output shaft so the oil doesn't have to be drained or lost. Obviously you would expect the level to be checked as a matter of course on completion of the job.

Have you actually done the gearbox output shaft with the transfare box in place. and reassemble.
Post #1048221 10th Oct 2024 11:10am
Linds Hanson

United Kingdom 
[quote="Linds Hanson"]
andy63 wrote:
Linds Hanson wrote:
Randlover wrote:

Have you actually done the gearbox output shaft with the transfare box in place...??πŸ€”πŸ˜³
Post #1048222 10th Oct 2024 11:11am
Caterham

Linds Hanson wrote:
andy63 wrote:
Linds Hanson wrote:
Randlover wrote:

sounds like you know what you're doing. Shocked
I aint got a scooby doo but suspect the engine out option would also work Mr. Green Thumbs Up
Post #1048223 10th Oct 2024 11:13am
andy63

United Kingdom 
a remarkable feat then Thumbs Up
so you have managed to remove the gearbox output shaft as pictured...

Click image to enlarge

through this opening, which normally has an oil seal in place at the gearbox end but is removed in this photo..but as you suggest has the cover and input gears removed..and of course there is the extension piece that connects the two boxes together to add to the distance and difficulty

Click image to enlarge

Edit...
Ahhh I see there is a bit of editing going on earlier posts which may make my post look a bit odd..
I'll leave it in place anywayπŸ‘
Post #1048226 10th Oct 2024 11:29am
Randlover

2010 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Galway Green
Caterham wrote:
Linds Hanson wrote:
andy63 wrote:
Linds Hanson wrote:
Randlover wrote:

sounds like you know what you're doing. Shocked
I aint got a scooby doo but suspect the engine out option would also work Mr. Green Thumbs Up

πŸ˜†πŸ€£πŸ˜†
Post #1048229 10th Oct 2024 1:10pm
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
Something very strange has started to happen in this thread! Shocked

I think we can say with certainty that (1) the shaft cannot be changed without separating the transfer box and gearbox and (2) the only practicable way to do this on an assembled vehicle involves the removal from the vehicle of the transfer box.

I seriously doubt that it is possible to remove the engine and gearbox together as a single complete unit unless the body has been removed from the chassis, and whilst it would probably be possible to remove the engine followed by the gearbox this would be an incomprehensible and awkward approach.
Post #1048233 10th Oct 2024 1:47pm
Caterham

.....and whilst it would probably be possible to remove the engine followed by the gearbox this would be an incomprehensible and awkward approach.

I completely agree. I was simply offering an option for replacement while keeping the transfer box insitu Very Happy
Post #1048243 10th Oct 2024 3:21pm
andy63

United Kingdom 
blackwolf wrote:
Something very strange has started to happen in this thread! Shocked

I think we can say with certainty that (1) the shaft cannot be changed without separating the transfer box and gearbox and (2) the only practicable way to do this on an assembled vehicle involves the removal from the vehicle of the transfer box.

I seriously doubt that it is possible to remove the engine and gearbox together as a single complete unit unless the body has been removed from the chassis, and whilst it would probably be possible to remove the engine followed by the gearbox this would be an incomprehensible and awkward approach.

What I've been saying in the politest possible way..or trying toπŸ‘πŸ˜Š..
Not because I know defenders inside out..but because I have been there and done that in this case..
Post #1048248 10th Oct 2024 3:48pm
jst

2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Stornoway Grey
blackwolf wrote:

I seriously doubt that it is possible to remove the engine and gearbox together as a single complete unit unless the body has been removed from the chassis,

as an aside this is possible. engine, gbox and tbox i took out of my 2.4 as one lift. bonnet, radiator and front grill removed. rest of body in place.

Click image to enlarge
 Cheers

James
110 2012 XS Utility
130 2011 M57 bespoke Camper
90 2010 Hardtop
90 M57 1988 Hardtop
Post #1048257 10th Oct 2024 4:19pm
andy63

United Kingdom 
😲
Now that's a mean crane..and lift
Did they all go back in the same way..ie together??πŸ‘
Post #1048264 10th Oct 2024 5:04pm
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
jst wrote:
as an aside this is possible. engine, gbox and tbox i took out of my 2.4 as one lift. bonnet, radiator and front grill removed. rest of body in place.

I remember that photo from an earlier occasion when you posted it, and I know that the whole thing can be removed in that way (although I am not sure I'd like to try it). However, is there enough clearance to allow the output shaft to disengage from the transfer box before the engine hits the No2 crossmember or the gearbox hits the bulkhead if the engine is raised? I am not convinced that the transfer-box could be left in situ and the engine and gearbox removed forwards. Equally I am not convinced it is impossible.

For your next challenge... Rolling with laughter
Post #1048266 10th Oct 2024 5:10pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 3 <123>