↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Td5 > Dual Mass or Single Mass flywheel?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
110Matty

United Kingdom 
Dual Mass or Single Mass flywheel?
Hello everyone,

Clutch is slipping, so was thinking of going for LOF Powerspec, but wondered which flywheel would be best. Single mass might be a bit less refined - I've read "chatter" mentioned on more than one occasion. Dual mass seem very expensive? I have a stage 2 type remap and the presumed original clutch of 125,000 miles, just can't cope with it Sad

Also, any hints to how many workshop hours to change?

Any recommendations based on your own experiences or trusted feedback most welcome? Many thanks.

Defender TD5 90 - 2004
Post #1047388 1st Oct 2024 4:06pm
Mdm

United Kingdom 
i run a fairly lively tuned td5 with std valeo flywheel no issues.

unless you tow a lot or work the car very hard i dont think you need an uprated clutch on a defender.
single mass ones are noisy, some brands more than others. ideal in an off road car less so for the road
Post #1047395 1st Oct 2024 5:30pm
Mike c

England 2004 Defender 90 Td5 CSW Belize Green
I am just going through this myself and decided on sticking with dual mass, it was clearly thought necessary by LR with the td5 engine at the time.

However this is on a standard vehicle with no heavy work. 2004 Defender 90 Td5 CSW
2002 Discovery 2 td5 GS (gone)
1994 Defender 90 300Tdi CSW (gone)
Post #1047398 1st Oct 2024 5:41pm
barbel jim

United Kingdom 2005 Defender 90 Td5 HT Tonga Green
If you tow then definitely dual mass. Ive driven a single mass …… and definitely not for me. From my experience the new oem clutches are not as strong as the original factory fit. My tuned workhorse ate 3 replacements Rolling Eyes but she dose tow heavy a lot. They’re supposed to be rated at 450nm of torque… At that point she was producing 420nm. They’d last for approximately 18 months !
I’d go clutch fix, or lof. I’m now running a clutch fix, but also a vvt, with excessive torque so my current clutch is irrelevant to you.
If you do go for an upgraded clutch, it will be heavier, so a upgraded master or slave cylinder is well worth fitting at the same time.
Post #1047403 1st Oct 2024 6:49pm
MadTom

Czech Republic 1999 Defender 130 Td5 HCPU Baltic Blue
My first question in car ( both Defender and Discovery) with sigle mass was - what is broken? All were shaking quite bad when on idle. All owner switched back to dual mass in very short time. "Drobek" = The Small One - Discovery 2, "Blufínek" = The Blue Thing - Defender 130, and for me at least Ford Mondeo Smile
Post #1047428 2nd Oct 2024 6:14am
110Matty

United Kingdom 
Many thanks for all the replies.

So far, based on feedback on here, from the tuners / mappers, and independent LR mechanics / garages, I haven't really heard anything great about SMF, except the price and possible longevity - maybe that says something. As a predominantly non tower, non-off-roader i think the DMF will suit me better.
Post #1047439 2nd Oct 2024 8:46am
110Matty

United Kingdom 
barbel jim wrote:
If you tow then definitely dual mass. Ive driven a single mass …… and definitely not for me. From my experience the new oem clutches are not as strong as the original factory fit. My tuned workhorse ate 3 replacements Rolling Eyes but she dose tow heavy a lot. They’re supposed to be rated at 450nm of torque… At that point she was producing 420nm. They’d last for approximately 18 months !
I’d go clutch fix, or lof. I’m now running a clutch fix, but also a vvt, with excessive torque so my current clutch is irrelevant to you.
If you do go for an upgraded clutch, it will be heavier, so a upgraded master or slave cylinder is well worth fitting at the same time.

Thanks for your comments, great info Jim. I have the LOF clutch pedal assist spring which is great. Does that mean the slave and / or master cylinder upgrade won't be needed with HD clutch, or are they separate issues?

I also saw a new HD clutch (TD5 ClutchFix HD1 Organic clutch kit + Valeo DMF, new on EBay for £280 or best offer + postage. That seems very reasonable / too cheap? Most DMF's that i've seen are that price alone or higher, without the clutch kit.

Matt.
Post #1047440 2nd Oct 2024 8:53am
Beco90

United Kingdom 
I have the LoF SMF and Exteme spec clutch on our D2 and the level of vibration is certainly significantly higher. As others have said, it was to the point where we were concerned there was a fault with the gearbox which had just been reconditioned at the same time the new clutch and SMF were fitted. Vibration of the gear stick but also the box itself when viewed from under the vehicle. I would say LoF were excellent to deal with, very communicative and reassuring, however with hindsight I don’t think the SMF was necessary for our usage and would stick with the dual mass if you can.
Post #1047442 2nd Oct 2024 8:56am
110Matty

United Kingdom 
Hey Beco90, that's great honest feedback and very much appreciated.

Cheers mate.
Post #1047443 2nd Oct 2024 8:59am
Castillo

Finland 
Hey, you don't have any fuel leaking into the clutch do you?

Twice in 10 years my Defender's fuel pressure regulator has leaked into the clutch and the clutch has then started to slip. After I fixed the leak, after about 2000 km of driving, the clutch has stopped slipping. defender 110 td5 2006
Post #1047477 2nd Oct 2024 2:37pm
110Matty

United Kingdom 
Hey Castillo,

Thanks for the suggestion, but unless it's a big coincidence, I'm pretty sure it's due to the Stage 2 remap, as it happened immediately on the first test drive.

I have already changed back to the previous remap (stage 1 ish) and will test drive soon. I'll be carrying a boot load of roof tiles in the next day or two, so that should be a reasonable test.

Although i detected a very slight slip a few weeks ago when putting foot to the floor going uphill, I'm pretty sure the clutch won't slip on the old map, even though I think it could be the original 125k mile clutch. Will report back for sure.

Cheers. Defender 90 TD5 2004
Post #1047486 2nd Oct 2024 3:11pm
barbel jim

United Kingdom 2005 Defender 90 Td5 HT Tonga Green
Matt, you don’t need that level of clutch for your stage 2….. that’s what I have, rated at 600nm of torque. It’s like a tractor clutch, and still heavy with the lof spring and lof upgraded Slave cylinder. It’s cheap, less than half what I paid, too good to be true imo. You don’t want all the expense of changing the clutch to then discover it’s fubar….. if your going for more power, as in hybrid/vnt turbo then yes worth the investment, although I’d buy new direct from clutch fix or lof comparable version.
Stage 2 you’ll be pushing 400nm of torque….. iirc lof do a fast road clutch specifically for tuned vehicles on standard turbos….. give Luke a ring, he’ll point you in the right direction. My factory Valeo clutch did 97000 miles, 10 years old and only change because of the spigot bearing squealing and making change downs difficult. The 3 after approx 25000,18 months and all started slipping.incidentally all whilst running an Alive stage 2 map, hence why there not as good as the original Big Cry

I’d upgrade the slave or master cylinder regardless, well worth the investment…..
Post #1047504 2nd Oct 2024 6:22pm
4RF RDS

Canada 2000 Defender 110 Td5 XS CSW Epsom Green
Very good inexpensive alternate master cylinder. 👇🏻. Had it in my 110 for a couple years nowand the pedal is very light and no issues. Thumbs Up

Click image to enlarge

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/373523106703 2010 Range Rover MkIII Autobiography Super Charged (Idris)
2003 Range Rover Mk III (Desmond FitzWilliam)
2000 Defender 110 CSW TD5 (CTX)
1992 Range Rover Classic (Lizzy)
1972 Series III 300 Tdi (Stanwood)
1967 MGB GT

Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats.
H. L. Mencken (1880 - 1956)
Post #1047508 2nd Oct 2024 6:43pm
110Matty

United Kingdom 
barbel jim wrote:
Matt, you don’t need that level of clutch for your stage 2….. that’s what I have, rated at 600nm of torque. It’s like a tractor clutch, and still heavy with the lof spring and lof upgraded Slave cylinder. It’s cheap, less than half what I paid, too good to be true imo. You don’t want all the expense of changing the clutch to then discover it’s fubar….. if your going for more power, as in hybrid/vnt turbo then yes worth the investment, although I’d buy new direct from clutch fix or lof comparable version.
Stage 2 you’ll be pushing 400nm of torque….. iirc lof do a fast road clutch specifically for tuned vehicles on standard turbos….. give Luke a ring, he’ll point you in the right direction. My factory Valeo clutch did 97000 miles, 10 years old and only change because of the spigot bearing squealing and making change downs difficult. The 3 after approx 25000,18 months and all started slipping.incidentally all whilst running an Alive stage 2 map, hence why there not as good as the original Big Cry

I’d upgrade the slave or master cylinder regardless, well worth the investment…..

Just had this email from local garage and they do all the work on my neighbours Defender TD5…..

“Good afternoon,

I have made enquiries with our factors for a heavy duty clutch and dual mass flywheel for BV54 XXX with a stage 2 remap. They are unable to source one with a warranty that will cover the remap. We wouldn’t risk fitting anything without a manufacturers guarantee and therefore we are unable to help you at this time.
Kind regards. “

?????? Defender 90 TD5 2004
Post #1047512 2nd Oct 2024 7:31pm
jst

2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Stornoway Grey
If its a heavy tune paddle clutch and servo assist it.

If not stick dmf and don't slip the clutch driving. Cheers

James
110 2012 XS Utility
130 2011 M57 bespoke Camper
90 2010 Hardtop
90 M57 1988 Hardtop
Post #1047517 2nd Oct 2024 7:59pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>