↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Puma (Tdci) > 2SO v Premium fuel.
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Lorryman100

2SO v Premium fuel.
Over the past month or two I have been carrying out a little informal experiment on my Puma. I have been using non premier fuels and been adding 2SO for a couple of years now, the only exceptions have been the use of Shell V power every now and again and the 6 monthly dosing of Forte diesel treatment. This has now changed after filling up one of our cars with BP ultimate petrol and finding it gives better mpg and a crisper throttle even though the car is tuned to use premium fuels and has had V power through it religiously from new. So this got me curious about the benefits of using premium diesel on it's own, so here are my initial findings.
Now bear in mind this could all be in my mind and just be supposition and the placebo effect.

So to start off I filled the tank with BP ultimate and nothing else, and ran it till empty with no noticeable engine noise differences from before when using 2SO. I ran another tank through it, again with Ultimate with no difference in noise levels. I ran that tank down to the bong and filled up with normal diesel and no 2SO. Everything was as before until I got down to half a tank, that's when the clatter started. This lasted until I gave in and refilled the tank at the same garage, using the same pump and fuel as before, and this time I added 300ml of 2SO. The engine remained clattery for about a 1/3 of a tank when I noticed it had quietened down to the normal noise level. I ran this tank dry and filled up again with BP ultimate a further 2 times without 2SO and have not noticed any difference in the engine noise from using the cheaper fuel with 2SO. I can only assume that BP ultimate has the necessary additives added to make up for the loss of the sulphur lubrication in these new low sulphur fuels. I will no longer add 2SO to the fuel for as long as I can use BP ultimate, as I am curious to hear what the long term effects in relation to engine clatter would be. But if I can't get access to Ultimate fuel I will use 2SO for that tankfull, as the engine clatter is not acceptable to my ear now. I will keep this post alive with my findings over the next 6 months or so to see if the weather makes a difference with air temp and moisture levels.

Brian.
Post #104494 4th Dec 2011 3:42pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
T1G UP

England 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Orkney Grey
great, but financially it would be prudent t buy cheap fuel and add 2so
Post #104497 4th Dec 2011 3:51pm
Small Clanger

United Kingdom 
How does the price of BPUD compare to ordinary diesel?
Post #104519 4th Dec 2011 4:36pm
Stornaway90

United Kingdom 2012 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Zermatt Silver
I have just ditched adding 2 stroke and filled up with BP Ultimate and after approx 50 miles the Puma engine seems far more responsive with no increase in diesel clatter.

So it will be the Ulitimate from now on, i never got any increase in mpg with the 2 stoke, and it doesn't add up to a big increase in my fuel bill by using the Ulitimate, plus you get Necter points for buying from BP.

If you own the best, give it what it deserves, THE BEST! One Life Live It, There Isn't Anything To Beat It, Even The Boss Agrees.
Defender 110 2012(XS)
Defender 90 2011 (XS) Gone.
Defender 90 2008 (County) Gone.
Triumph Bonneville (SE) Gone.
www.landywatch.co.uk
Post #104640 4th Dec 2011 10:42pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
bpman

2008 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SVX Station Wagon Santorini Black
I use ultimate every 4th tank, and I use 2SO (mineral) in every tank... it's a balance of cost and performance... it has cleaning agents and other additives.

I've been told not to use it in every tank.. nuf said
Post #104644 4th Dec 2011 10:47pm
JSG

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Stornoway Grey
Small Clanger wrote:

I put a tankful of BP Ultimate in this morning and it was 10p per litre dearer than the standard BP diesel. John

http://www.hampshire4x4response.co.uk

2011 Tdci 110 CSW XS
Post #104653 5th Dec 2011 12:51am
T1G UP

England 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Orkney Grey
can' comment on premium but the 110 was filled up at a BP station from new, she's done 300 miles now and i chucked some tescos crap in there as it was low. Got the clatter now Big Cry

so a trip to BP me thinks
Post #104931 6th Dec 2011 7:38am
bpman

2008 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SVX Station Wagon Santorini Black
A work mate put ultimate in his motor and had problems (cut out, flat, lower power), he then put another tank of ultimate in and was fine, he thinks it was because the fuel had been laying around in the garage tank for a while, so if you are going to use ultimate use if from a "popular" garage where the fuel is bought often Thumbs Up
Post #105012 6th Dec 2011 2:18pm
twopoint6khz

United Kingdom 2005 Defender 110 Td5 CSW Java Black
Our local BP place is currently a large hole in the floor Big Cry

Once it's rebuilt I will be on the UD again. Did similar highly unscientific tests in my old Td5 and found it gave better mpg. Not enough extra to justify the cost increase on its own, but the additives etc have to be worth it in the long run Thumbs Up

Plus family members have shares in BP and the share price could do with a boost recently Whistle
Post #105027 6th Dec 2011 3:01pm
MartinK

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Orkney Grey
JSG wrote:
Small Clanger wrote:

I put a tankful of BP Ultimate in this morning and it was 10p per litre dearer than the standard BP diesel.

So, about £6 per 60 litre full tank extra cash for using premium fuel (BP Ultimate or Shell V Power).

I'm buying Castrol Actevo Synthetic 2SO for about £6 per litre, and adding 300ml (1/3 litre) every fill.

That's £2 uplift (over standard diesel) to use ordinary Diesel, and 2SO
or
£6 uplift (over standard diesel) to use Premium fuel

2SO option is cheaper for the same benefits? Am I reading this right?

Not tried 2SO (got a DPF) in my XC70, but I do get slightly better MPG with premium fuels, and the XC seems to run a bit better too. I'm filling every 3rd or 4th tank with Shell VPower, and the rest on "Normal".... Seems a good compromise. Defender "Puma" 2.4 110 County Utility (possibly the last of the 2.4's)
Post #105036 6th Dec 2011 3:49pm
NinetyTD4

Wales 2012 Defender 90 Other SW Keswick Green
I did some math on the issue based on my figures whioch might be of use.

When using aral ultimate premium diesel I get 33.98 mpg, while standard diesel gives me 32.79 mpg - independent of 2so or not. Actual price difference of diesel is about 8 eurocents per liter. 2so does cost me abou 6 euros a liter and a tank gets 0.2 liter. Based on that the total cost difference per 100 km is only about 22 eurocents. I will continue using premium diesel only - no tinkering /w 2so, much quieter compared to standard diesel and upprice moderate. Never forget: cars have owner, Landrover have field service personnel.
Post #105287 7th Dec 2011 12:27pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1