Home > Td5 > TD5 remap
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
110Matty

United Kingdom 
TD5 remap
Hi all.

There are mountains of previous posts on here i know, but many are from years ago and as we know, things move on and feedback changes over the months and years. More options seem to be coming out recently also (e.g Just Map It).

I have a low cost remap already on the truck, which is ok, but at pull away even with low revs, i have a cloud of black smoke, which i personally dislike. If I floor it, the smoke tends to be greyer and less obvious. When flooring it, i would expect some smoke from a remap and perhaps it's the compromise. Lots of different offerings out there as we know. I don't have a workshop / rolling road remapper near me, they all seem to be up country or well to the east. I don't want to trust a generic / any make mobile remapper (unless recommended by someone here in Somerset maybe).

Some companies seem to offer low smoke / no smoke remaps, but wondered if that's the real experience of you guys on here. I only need a modest remap, standard intercooler / turbo etc if possible. I have a 1.2 transfer box (fantastic) and oversize wheels and tyres. What i have now works pretty well, but I want the best map i can get, max power / torque, with no smoke. I don't offroad or tow heavy loads, so it's driveability and smooth delivery I'm after if possible. I could just put up with the smoke, but if it can be avoided, I'd really appreciate some recommendations. I would say, i have already contacted several mappers, most of which seem to be extremely busy and take a while (and a few gentle prods) to reply. I'm open to Nanocom + custom maps, windows flasher with new map, replacement ECU with map already done, etc etc. Is there a stock remap that covers most TD5's (Stage 1)?

Many thanks for recommendations based on above.
Defender 90 TD5 2004 (15p engine and NNN Flashable ECU i think)
Post #1046079 18th Sep 2024 10:38am
Chicken Drumstick

United Kingdom 
tbh, tuning hasn't really changed at all. It is still the same things that work and that don't work. And the Td5 is no mystery box running on pixie dust. It works the same as any other diesel engine out there.

I also don't think the advice as ever been "just map it".

All the normal things that help any engine out work exactly the same on the Td5. More air in and more air out, with the right amount of fuel = more power.

Colder air is more dense, so a bigger intercooler can make a big difference. A free flow exhaust will help lower egt's and get the gases out of the engine faster. While more efficient intake setups allow more air in.

A custom rolling road map will nearly always produce the best results. As it can be tailored to your mods and vehicle.
Post #1046081 18th Sep 2024 10:53am
110Matty

United Kingdom 
Thanks for the reply.

I feared I might have to travel further afield to get a rolling road one done I guess, but i can't imagine everyone out there has done it that way, nor fitted different intercoolers and exhausts. Are modest stage 1 flash maps not really up to it in your opinion then? The one I already have is ok, but as i said, i don't like the smoke when i pull away and hoped it could be avoided.

The 'Just Map It' isn't "advice" it's a new hardware / software offering from Empire Tuning (flash connector / cable + custom remap - without requiring a Nanocom), just one of many options. I was hoping for positive feedback from these type of offerings I guess.

I know you get what you pay for and shouldn't shy away from a bit of effort and time, but there doesn't seem to be anything local to me, so will probably have to go out of county.

Maybe my question should have been much simpler - do all stage 1 remaps come with black smoke, whether remote flash or rolling road?

Cheers.
Post #1046084 18th Sep 2024 11:14am
rustandoil

England 2005 Defender 110 Td5 XS DCPU Bonatti Grey
I have a Allisport map on mine....I think theres a bit "more" to be had, Alive would be my next port of call mainly based on their YouTube rolling road vids Cool
Post #1046089 18th Sep 2024 12:18pm
110Matty

United Kingdom 
Hi matey,

Does yours smoke - consensus seems to be that they all do a bit when off boost?

Uprated Intercoolers seem widely priced too, around £400 ! - Simmonites have one High Flow Uprated one at £125 though? EGR delete and free flow air filter also seems favourable. This is bad news for the wallet, I've started considering Stage 2 inc exhaust now !!! Embarassed

Allisport and Alive are 2 on the list for remaps, along with Empire, TD5 inside etc

Cheers
Post #1046095 18th Sep 2024 1:03pm
rustandoil

England 2005 Defender 110 Td5 XS DCPU Bonatti Grey
No noticeable smoke from mine... I have Allisport intercooler and EGR delete + other mods
Post #1046100 18th Sep 2024 1:39pm
TexasRover

France 2002 Defender 110 Td5 DCPU Chawton White
I have no remap, no smoke but it failed the Control Technique on too much smoke. Take it for a rip on the motorway he said. Threw in some cleaner bottle magic too. Will see next week.

Not sure how the MOT deals with diesels of this Vintage, but if you can see smoke I doubt it would pass here in France..
Post #1046109 18th Sep 2024 3:55pm
Mo Murphy

United Kingdom 1984 Defender 90 BMW M57 3.0 Diesel HT Auto Pennine Grey
Even with a stage 1 tune it shouldn't smoke. So you either have poor tune or a restriction in your inlet set up.
Neither will be particularly good for your engine.
Mo The Land Rover 90 - Many are called, few are chosen.

50 Shades of Pennine Grey
Post #1046110 18th Sep 2024 3:57pm
bankz5152

2004 Defender 110 Td5 DCPU Epsom Green
Chicken Drumstick wrote:
tbh, tuning hasn't really changed at all. It is still the same things that work and that don't work. And the Td5 is no mystery box running on pixie dust. It works the same as any other diesel engine out there.

I also don't think the advice as ever been "just map it".

All the normal things that help any engine out work exactly the same on the Td5. More air in and more air out, with the right amount of fuel = more power.

Colder air is more dense, so a bigger intercooler can make a big difference. A free flow exhaust will help lower egt's and get the gases out of the engine faster. While more efficient intake setups allow more air in.

A custom rolling road map will nearly always produce the best results. As it can be tailored to your mods and vehicle.

Sorry but yes it has. Dramatically.

A not that long ago 300hp was laughable and unheard of, now it's attainable and reliable.

It used done by injector duration. Now it's done via afr and smoke map.

Td5 tuning has changed, the likes of Dynachip flash and dash have fallen away and true bespoke tuning has taking hold. No one TD5 is the same as another, especially now given their age.

Just adding a bigger intercooler without adjusting the mapping won't do much, exhausts do make a difference but generally only noticeable on the higher end.

Most diesels will smoke a bit when changing gear etc.. because they are off boost. Lower air flow, more smoke. However a properly mapped this can be reduced and depending on circumstances almost totally removed.

Chat to Gareth at Empire and you will get exactly what you want. I would always suggest a bigger intercooler from Britpart (shockingly actually fairly good if not running high boost), Serck, Allisport, Darkside (I have a darkside in mine which is holding with 2.5bar for the last year) Instagram @defender_ventures
Empire Tuning - Agent
Post #1046118 18th Sep 2024 5:11pm
Chris86

United Kingdom 2005 Defender 110 Td5 USW Chawton White
Agreed, quite a lot has changed with most places offering maps (not all)

I would suggest taking it somewhere and getting them to either do it on rollers, or make sure they accompany you for a drive to ensure it's what you want- there is pros and cons to each.

I have driven a variety of maps from various different places, and ours ended up being done by Dan at Storm, following having had it done initially elsewhere and being really disappointed.

I was keen to get drivability as opposed to maximum grunt- he's delivered exactly what we asked for, it's not super fast but the power and torque delivery is very smooth and it makes it much more pleasant to drive.

Chris
Post #1046151 18th Sep 2024 9:44pm
110Matty

United Kingdom 
Thanks Guys, appreciate the comments.

I noticed yesterday that the EGR has been blanked off already by PO, so i'm pleased about that. I'm probably going to invest in the uprated Intercooler, probably Darkside - seems decent value at £250 + VAT.

Also thinking about a performance airfilter (ITG from Alive or Empire).

You never know, the black smoke will lessen with the uprated IC, maybe by better luck than judgement.

In the mean time, could I also up the Boost by adjusting the turbo wastegate? I'm no mechanic, but it seems simple enough to do. My actuator / wastegate rod is showing the fairly standard 13 threads. Is it worth changing by a thread or two at a time and seeing how it goes (remembering that i already have a map but still on stock IC)? I don't know too much about turbo's and boost, but am aware of not wanting overboost (I think! Embarassed ). In fact, not really sure if i should be changing it at all. Any comments, warnings or encouragement welcome!! Smile

Cheers.
Post #1046175 19th Sep 2024 10:00am
bankz5152

You can adjust the boost. You can normally get around 18psi before needing new sensors, rescaling or map adjustments.

Adjusting by threads isn't great as one spring could be softer than another. So one td5 at 13 threads could be 13psi another could be 15psi.

Ideally you need to monitor the boost pressure with nanocom or a boost gauge but you can increase boost pressure until you hit over boost (EML will come on and power will reduce. Then wind it back, cycle the ignition and it will reset. Not the best way but does work just very time consuming. If you choose this work and half a turn and test. Instagram @defender_ventures
Empire Tuning - Agent
Post #1046181 19th Sep 2024 11:00am
110Matty

United Kingdom 
Thanks bankz5152.

Nanocom has been on the radar for a while. Initially an expensive bit of kit, but takes a lot of guesswork out of things - not just Boost pressure. Can also do remote remaps with it (Empire etc).

Cheers.
Post #1046182 19th Sep 2024 11:16am
bankz5152

These are a cheaper option but require a laptop

https://www.empiretuning.co.uk/product/justmapit/ Instagram @defender_ventures
Empire Tuning - Agent
Post #1046184 19th Sep 2024 11:27am
110Matty

United Kingdom 
Yes, i saw them and Gareth at Empire recommended it as a new product (see my opening message). Doesn't the Nanocom need a laptop too (for remote maps), i assumed it did? or is it via memory stick?
Post #1046187 19th Sep 2024 12:00pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>