↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Europe > Sweden
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
8619simon

Wales 1995 Defender 110 300 Tdi CSW Epsom Green
Sweden
A mate and I are off to Sweden for a couple of weeks end of September. Planning on exploring forests and lakes in mid part of Sweden. The more remote the better.

Any recommendations with regards places to go and see or routes to follow gratefully received.

Cheers

Simon
Post #1045342 9th Sep 2024 7:59pm
custom90

United Kingdom 
Please don’t forget some scenic pics if all goes well. Thumbs Up

Always great to see. NEVER SURRENDER! ⛽️🛢️👨‍🔧🧰⚙️ RED, WHITE & BOOST! 🇬🇧
Post #1045350 9th Sep 2024 8:43pm
BaronDefenders

United Kingdom 2004 Defender 90 Td5 SW Santorini Black
I was there back in June.

The area around Smögen is very unique, almost Mediterranean in its landscape. Stockholm is a wonderful city for a weekend, if you’re interested.

The High Coast Bridge on the east coast is very impressive. If you go up the east, make an effort to come off the E4 and see some of the small villages and islands.

Depending upon your route, I can recommend: Borgaruddens Camping in the northeast; Malnbadens camping in the east; and Hoks Naturcamping in the south. Charlie

1949 Series 1 80 (SOLD)
2002 Td5 90 (SOLD)
2008 Freelander 2 (SOLD)

1958 Series 2 88 Pastel Green (2019 LR Legends Best Restored)
1983 V8 110 Limestone (Previously owned by Tom Sheppard MBE)
2004 Td5 90 Santorini Black (Td5INSIDE Powered & Rebuilt by CSK)
2012 Puma 110 Zermatt Silver (Overlanding Build)

Instagram: @BaronDefenders
Post #1045373 10th Sep 2024 6:39am
Evil Elsie

United Kingdom 2002 Defender 110 Td5 HT Alpine White
Watching with interest as we are heading to Sweden in November. Probably won't make it too far North (this year) as time is limited.
As said - some nice piccys would be appreciated. Might make me drive a bit quicker through Germany to spend more time in Sweden...👍👍

Cheers, Dave. 2002 Land Rover 110 Td5 Utility
1990 Suzuki GSXR 1100L
1980 Yamaha RD 350LC
1976 Yamaha RD 400C
Post #1045415 10th Sep 2024 1:06pm
8619simon

BaronDefenders wrote:
I was there back in June.

The area around Smögen is very unique, almost Mediterranean in its landscape. Stockholm is a wonderful city for a weekend, if you’re interested.

The High Coast Bridge on the east coast is very impressive. If you go up the east, make an effort to come off the E4 and see some of the small villages and islands.

Depending upon your route, I can recommend: Borgaruddens Camping in the northeast; Malnbadens camping in the east; and Hoks Naturcamping in the south.

Thanks Charlie... Will add those to the list. Loose plan at the moment is to get the ferry from Kiel to Gothenburg and then head north past Lake Vanern to Varmland and Dalarna hopefully on gravel roads most of the way. Might try and pick up some parts of the Swedish TET route. Maybe then circle back east back towards Malmo.

Will post some pics etc but any more suggestions for the Western side above Lake Vanern gratefully received.

Will be the first big trip in the new PopTop so really looking forward to exploring the remote lakes and forests.

Cheers

Simon

Click image to enlarge
Post #1045495 10th Sep 2024 10:38pm
BaronDefenders

United Kingdom 2004 Defender 90 Td5 SW Santorini Black
If you go to Gothenburg, pop into “Cum pane” bakery. Their pastries are superb! Charlie

1949 Series 1 80 (SOLD)
2002 Td5 90 (SOLD)
2008 Freelander 2 (SOLD)

1958 Series 2 88 Pastel Green (2019 LR Legends Best Restored)
1983 V8 110 Limestone (Previously owned by Tom Sheppard MBE)
2004 Td5 90 Santorini Black (Td5INSIDE Powered & Rebuilt by CSK)
2012 Puma 110 Zermatt Silver (Overlanding Build)

Instagram: @BaronDefenders
Post #1045500 10th Sep 2024 11:05pm
Defendit..

Netherlands 
Re: Sweden
8619simon wrote:
A mate and I are off to Sweden for a couple of weeks end of September. Planning on exploring forests and lakes in mid part of Sweden. The more remote the better.

Any recommendations with regards places to go and see or routes to follow gratefully received.

Cheers

Simon

This year is over, planning for 2025

https://www.swedenoffroad.com/ No Mud flaps for my 90.!
-----------------------------------------
P300 S MY21 on air, adv.+ offroad pack, DRL+fog, Dinamica Suedecloth + Ebony headliner/Cross Beam- Many Mods..
Post #1045512 11th Sep 2024 8:03am
8619simon

Sooo... Just got back after our Swedish trip, my first time there and wow, what a fantastic place. We were looking for remote forests and lakes and lots of wild camping and were not disappointed.

Originally we had planned going up as far as Dalarna but in the end we did a route that took us up the west side of Lake Vanern near to the Norwegian border and then over the top and back down the east side between Vanern and Vattern.

For some of the sections north of Karlstad we followed the Swedish TET route but mostly we meandered following the gravel roads and forestry tracks. Gaia GPS maps were really accurate and showed clearly the tarmac roads and gravel tracks and made picking more off tarmac routes between spots very easy.

Picking camp spots was a combination of Google Earth and Gaia, a few dead ends but generally it worked really well and we found some absolutely superb wild camps deep in the forests by small lakes. Some were so nice we just decided to stay for a couple of days and it was very rare to see anybody.

The main holiday season ends at the end of September so things were generally very quiet but as the wild camping in Sweden is allowed most places it was not a problem and we were not going to visit any cities on this trip.

Of the many countries I have travelled in now, I have to say that Sweden is up there as one of my favourites, very easy going, superbly friendly people and just gobsmacking scenery. Weather was kind though a bit chilly on some occasions.

It was also the first major trip with the new Pop top which I am really pleased with, such a quick set up and lovely to get up in the morning and just climb down into the back.... just need a heater now!

Already planning the next trip which will be longer..... A few pics below .

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge